All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

1st Drsstc Build

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Cade Brinkley
Tue Oct 14 2014, 01:30AM
Cade Brinkley Registered Member #40731 Joined: Wed Nov 20 2013, 01:02AM
Time for a much needed update:

I have entirely rebuilt the gate circuits with 5.1 ohms resistance, which fixed the problem I was having with the weird waveform out of my GDT. However another problem surfaced, the enable signal wasn't going through my driver board, so I replaced it. The new board works well, but the enable signal doesn't look like the previous board's. Also when I turn on bridge power the board starts switching at 280khz, four times what the primary is tuned to at ~70khz.

I think the board's doing exactly what it's told because the CT is putting out the higher frequency. However I think the enable signal is strange, but I don't have the experience to make a call on that.

I was able to connect an external signal gen and get tiny sparks verifying that everything is in phase.

The first picture is the high frequency output of the driver, the second is the enable signal I'm getting and

Thanks for any help and input!

1413249762 40731 FT163422 Image

1413250044 40731 FT163422 Image
Cade Brinkley
Sun Oct 26 2014, 11:50AM
So it turns out that the problem was that the phasing on the board was switched the wrong way. That was a much easier fix than I thought it would be...

After that was switched and the coil tuned much lower to about 65khz, I was able to get some real sparks:) 140v on the bridge, running 12 cycles produces ~35" sparks.

Thanks for all the help, I've learned a lot.
1414323995 40731 FT163422 Image
Cade Brinkley
Mon Jul 06 2015, 08:32PM
So I finally have some time to work on the coil again:) I figured it was time for an update on here...

Back in November I got it running, but not near my liking. It needed a doubler for the bus voltage and tuning and tweaks all around (phase lead, OCD, etc...). I ran the coil one day with a much smaller break out point than I had been using and after about 2 seconds of running, it quit.
After a bit of poking around with the scope I narrowed down the problem to be either in the controller board or the gate PCBs with the TVS diodes and damping resistors attached directly to my CM300s. About that time I started to get bogged down with school, so work had to stop on the coil...

So, now I've pulled back out the coil and built me a voltage doubler (picture attached).

Before I start troubleshooting the UD, I would like to figure out what could have caused it to malfunction. I think that my grounding is the problem. I have the secondary and strike rail connected to a grounding bar, and the IGBT heatsink and mains ground connected to the same bar. (Last picture) From that bar I have my RF ground. There is no shunt cap on the bridge or any ground wire connected to the UD board. How would I go about wiring those and is my current scheme correct? For the short time I got to run the coil, whenever I touched the casing of my variac I would get shocked. I learned very quickly to just touch the plastic knob and control power with the interrupter:) I had never thought any more of it, but could that be a symptom of improper grounding?

Thanks for all the ongoing help! Here are some pictures of things in their current state:

1436214565 40731 FT163422 Img 7911

1436214565 40731 FT163422 Img 7907

1436214565 40731 FT163422 Img 7905

1436214565 40731 FT163422 Img 7910
Cade Brinkley
Thu Jul 09 2015, 04:15PM
Ok, so now that I've poked around with the scope for a couple days I've narrowed down the problem. Hopefully...:)

The GDT is only getting (what I presume to be) the enable signal. I have my signal generator outputting a 70KHz sine wave to the feedback pins on the UD. Instead of producing the square wave within my pulse width like I would expect, the signal gen output is overlayed onto the the enable signal. (pictures attached for you visual people smile )

I presume the problem is caused by whatever is supposed to initially create the square wave signal from the feedback not doing its job. I have not been able to narrow that down any further. I've replaced IC14 to no avail and am wondering what I should try next as I'm a slow learner with logic circuits like this.

Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge about the UD 2.5 can help me out and point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

First picture is GDT output without any simulated feedback, second is with feedback.
1436458417 40731 FT163422 Img 7922

1436458417 40731 FT163422 Img 7923
 1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: