Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Novel flying machines

Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Sun May 04 2014, 04:09PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Dr. Slack,

first, i menat to post this earlier the .91nx will produce 80% power for a little more than 1minute with 1 fl oz of nitro-alcohol.

Second, i do include ducts to break the tip vortex, and improve human safety. so turning the props isnt enough.

third, im getting my thrust stand up today or tomarrow so i can get us real numbers.

Carbon_Rod
Mon May 05 2014, 05:02AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
“Weed eater” 2-cycle engines usually have a diaphragm carburetor.
Link2

And are therefore the easiest 1.3 hp motor you can buy used for under $50 that will work for flying.
Link2

Indeed, the drag losses from more rotors make them less efficient, but the lift is ultimately limited by the sectional area the blades cover. Thus 2 blades may generally improve flight times, but has the same limitation of the mass it can actually lift off the ground. Therefore a quad can lift slightly more than a tri-copter with the same diameter props, but a quad with 3 blade props will not necessarily improve lift depending on the machine.

Typically we also buy the plastic 1045/1045R (10”x4.5” Props) in bulk, as they work well for inexpensive quads. Note, while a $2k 1.5kg ATJ-120Ti RC turbine can produce over 12kg thrust, it is not really useful for VTOL craft.
wink
Patrick
Mon May 05 2014, 05:12AM
but carbon rod, those engines are enormous blocks of milled aluminum...

yeah the RC turbines are expensive. Ive crashed electrics many times, but recovered almost everything of value but the airframe. with jet turbines in a crash you tend to have kerosene fires that destroy everything as circuit boards seem to burn well above 1200F. (crashing into the dirt at 220mph contributes to the destruction too.)

and as with fuel cells they are crap for VTOL.

PICS!

1399267565 2431 FT1630 A

1399267565 2431 FT1630 B

1399267565 2431 FT1630 C

Dr. Slack
Mon May 05 2014, 05:51AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Patrick wrote ...

first, i menat to post this earlier the .91nx will produce 80% power for a little more than 1minute with 1 fl oz of nitro-alcohol.

ooh, ouch, an ounce a minute? That's 2kg and hour, give or take. Which is not the order-of-magnitude better than small electric props I had hoped.

But maybe, if you use a 4 stroke, and use less power through lower pitch heli blades rather than power through a known flaky propulsion blade calculator ...

I was kind of assuming not to use ducts, to just let it all hang out and look more like a copter. A 30" duct would weigh a lot. However, the difference between accidentally flying too close to an object and nudging it with a duct, and nudging it with the tip of a 30" diameter heli rotor, would be spectacular.
Patrick
Mon May 05 2014, 05:57AM
i came up with 1.8kg per hour. not great, so im thinking the variable collective pitch tri-prop maybe the next step/

Dr. Slack wrote ...

However, the difference between accidentally flying too close to an object and nudging it with a duct, and nudging it with the tip of a 30" diameter heli rotor, would be spectacular.
I watched the following machine descend into the tree and it tumbled and threw blades like you wouldnt believe.

my most recent machine (Gen 3), destroyed in scientific action. watch at least the last 14 seconds.

Dr. Slack and others,
would finding an effcient "power band" of RPM and torque and holding constant RPM while torque and power out vary be useful? (for a specific motor and prop.) In so using a variable pitch propeller. most of the power i think we lose is from rapid acceleration/decelerations from the PID loops. (steve connor and i discussed conservation of momentum in a related thread.) it just seems like at the least id gain faster response, with less overshoot, if not more lift for the same size battery.

i say this, because commercial companies seem to put a lot of thought into the drive train, but we home tinker'ers seem to just randomly pick a motor, then randomly pick a prop and throw it in the air, hoping for the best.

i also think:
a first step is power storage or conversion. (battery or chemistry)
a second step is coupling so as to be useful. (drive train ending with a prop)

BigBad
Mon May 05 2014, 01:09PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
It might be theoretically a good idea to do a hybrid; you drive the motor with an electric motor, which spins the main rotors at virtually constant speed, and then have a gas turbine which has more power than you need to fly, and then there's a small battery to buffer it.

So the gas turbine would turn on and charge the battery, and then shut down and the vehicle would fly on the battery for a while, and then turn back on again.

The reason it might make sense is that the energy density of the fuel is so much higher than a lithium ion battery, and provided the gas turbine/generator isn't too heavy it will still weigh less.
Patrick
Mon May 05 2014, 08:34PM
BigBad wrote ...

It might be theoretically a good idea to do a hybrid; you drive the motor with an electric motor, which spins the main rotors at virtually constant speed, and then have a gas turbine which has more power than you need to fly, and then there's a small battery to buffer it.

So the gas turbine would turn on and charge the battery, and then shut down and the vehicle would fly on the battery for a while, and then turn back on again.

The reason it might make sense is that the energy density of the fuel is so much higher than a lithium ion battery, and provided the gas turbine/generator isn't too heavy it will still weigh less.

This is worth researching, but if it requires 34 mosfets and diodes, and adds 200g to a 2kg machine were still screwed.
BigBad
Tue May 06 2014, 12:00PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
It's theoretically good, but I don't think it works nearly as well in practice. Gas turbines don't scale down very well, they lose efficiency and gain weight.

It might work better with a piston engine though.
Dr. Slack
Tue May 06 2014, 02:03PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
I'd be interested to see a bunch of graphs, if anybody has the bench facilities, or the data, of ...

a) the drive power requirements and weight of a system giving say 100N thrust, for where the lifting element is 3 or 4 ducted fans, or one open heli rotor

b) the weight of an energy store to rotary shaft system versus running time, for say 1kw shaft power, for energy stores of different battery chemistries, gas, nitro alcohol, and various 2 stroke, 4 stroke, series hybrid, in/outrunner motors. I would expect that for minutes, LiFePo would dominate, and for 10s of minutes, 4 stroke, but the graphs would tell.

Then with all of those curves, some usable machines ought to lie at the intersections of the highest curves.
Steve Conner
Tue May 06 2014, 03:46PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The beauty of the direct drive multirotor is its simplicity smile Link2

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: