All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Simple Valve Amp

Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Thu Dec 12 2013, 11:06PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Is the "-20, -10, -5, 0, +5, +10, and +20" electrically continuous? What are the DC resistances between these lugs?
Ash Small
Fri Dec 13 2013, 12:10AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

Is the "-20, -10, -5, 0, +5, +10, and +20" electrically continuous? What are the DC resistances between these lugs?

I've cut it off when I stripped the transformer out, but I suppose I could re-solder it.

It only connects to four primaries, two are ~4 Ohms, I think (110?) and two are ~0.5 Ohms or less (my DMM isn't accurate at these values) (I assume these are 10V).

My plan is to use a fuse on the output of the 24V step down transformer (which will probably be ~28V, due to voltage drop of rectifier, and "24 batteries are nominally 25.2V, I think, so if I use a variac, I can adjust it to 24V, and then measure the outputs of the various secondaries.

I need to use a fuse in case I get the phases wrong, and the inductances cancel out and it's only the DC resistance that's regulating the current. It's a pretty beefy 24V transformer. I don't want to 'cook' the Parmeko.
Proud Mary
Fri Dec 13 2013, 12:37AM
1A slow blow.

If the transformer starts humming loudly, if you disconnect at once, not much harm will have been done.
Ash Small
Fri Dec 13 2013, 01:44AM
Proud Mary wrote ...

1A slow blow.

If the transformer starts humming loudly, if you disconnect at once, not much harm will have been done.

Thanks. Chris also suggested 1 Amp. I think I've some in the shed somewhere smile

EDIT: Maybe the +/-5V is for Americans? (110 Volt land)
Proud Mary
Fri Dec 13 2013, 12:27PM
I've just been in the shed and poked about in a box of Parmeko Neptune transformers - the cased oil-filled type - and selected four which had roughly the same physical size as yours, being perhaps a bit bigger.

Three had the 0 - 115V 0 - 115V type of primary where you have to wire them in series for UK mains, and one had strange voltages perhaps related to supplies on board ships of long ago with 100V and 107V options.

Anyway, three of these had total primary DC resistances of about 15Ω in the UK series configuration - or 7.5Ω per 115V section - and one had a DC resistance of 6Ω, or 3Ω per section.

I hope this gives you some idea about the order of DC resistance you are likely to find on your primaries.
Ash Small
Fri Dec 13 2013, 12:45PM
Thanks. My reading of ~4 Ohms per section seems pretty close to your value of 3 Ohms per section.

I suppose I could check I have the phasing correct by connecting the 'four series connected primaries' in parallel with a known value capacitor, and 'sweep' to find the resonant frequency. by re-arranging the primary series connections so that the inductance is at a maximum, I'll then know I have the phasing correct?
Proud Mary
Fri Dec 13 2013, 01:21PM
Ash Small wrote ...

Thanks. My reading of ~4 Ohms per section seems pretty close to your value of 3 Ohms per section.

I suppose I could check I have the phasing correct by connecting the 'four series connected primaries' in parallel with a known value capacitor, and 'sweep' to find the resonant frequency. by re-arranging the primary series connections so that the inductance is at a maximum, I'll then know I have the phasing correct?

I did the tests with a cheap multimeter, which can be about half an ohm out when you get below about 10Ω.

On the Parmekos I looked at, the four primary lugs are arranged in a row like this 115 - 0 115 - 0 and the two lugs in the centre have short bridging wires soldered across them to connect the primaries together in series. I think it likely that yours would be organised in the same way, (which I have seen on many other valve era transformers) so that only a short jumper is needed to connect the two primaries together in the correct way.

If you stick your 24V AC on what you think are the primaries, you can then measure the voltages across the other windings, which should be roughly 10% of the value you'd get if connected to the mains. (Measure the AC input voltage at the point it's connected to the transformer, as a battery charger transformer might go to 30V or so with no or only a light load, and use this voltage as the one to calculate the ratios of the other windings with)

A Parmeko transformer with no load will only warm very slightly after an hour.
Ash Small
Fri Dec 13 2013, 01:53PM
OK, so I leave all the secondaries 'open circuit', I assume?
Proud Mary
Fri Dec 13 2013, 02:33PM
Ash Small wrote ...

Yes, just measure the output voltages that appear across them.

If you are putting 24V AC across the series primaries, the output voltage across a 6.3V secondary is only going to be about 600 mV, which you may not be able to measure very accurately, but at least you'll have an indication that it is a low voltage winding.
Ash Small
Fri Dec 13 2013, 04:56PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

Ash Small wrote ...

Yes, just measure the output voltages that appear across them.

If you are putting 24V AC across the series primaries, the output voltage across a 6.3V secondary is only going to be about 600 mV, which you may not be able to measure very accurately, but at least you'll have an indication that it is a low voltage winding.

Well, I can either 'scope it, or get the AVO out. I've plenty of moving coil meters that I can use if I bias them correctly and calibrate them. It's a lot easier to just use the DMM for 'approximate' measurements, though.

I doubt I'll get round to setting it all up until Sunday, at least. I'm off to London to get a clutch for my bike tomorrow.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: