Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
05/17 Blue Adept (43)
05/17 Nickel (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

MIDI Interrupter Software

first  2 3 4 5 
Move Thread LAN_403
koolksmart
Mon Jan 28 2013, 11:27PM
koolksmart Registered Member #5300 Joined: Thu Jun 14 2012, 12:00AM
Sorry for the massive delay--didn't have much coiling time for the past couple of weeks.

I checked all my connections, and everything seems to be fine. I've desoldered and resoldered the output terminals multiple times. When hooked up to a keyboard, the BNC and FO lights illuminate *slightly*. I thought it might be some light reflecting from the MIDI LED or 5V LED, so I shorted those LED's and saw that the BNC and FO still slightly lit--the light is hardly noticeable but noticeable.
When hooked up to the coil, still no output.

Any ideas at this point? I'm stumped.
Physics Junkie
Tue Jan 29 2013, 01:48AM
Physics Junkie Registered Member #7267 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2012, 12:16AM
koolksmart wrote ...

Sorry for the massive delay--didn't have much coiling time for the past couple of weeks.

I checked all my connections, and everything seems to be fine. I've desoldered and resoldered the output terminals multiple times. When hooked up to a keyboard, the BNC and FO lights illuminate *slightly*. I thought it might be some light reflecting from the MIDI LED or 5V LED, so I shorted those LED's and saw that the BNC and FO still slightly lit--the light is hardly noticeable but noticeable.

I'm not really sure to be honest.. From the sound of it, the MIDI board is working fine and you know this because you tested it with a speaker correct? And from reading through the thread I recall you only got results when hooked up to a computer? It might be a problem with the keyboard you are using, or not necessarily a problem but a setting that needs to be configured/adjusted.

If you have components to try the connection via FO, try that.
HV Enthusiast
Tue Jan 29 2013, 02:52AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
koolksmart wrote ...

Do you have an oscilloscope to look at the signals? Do you still have 5V on the logic rail and its not shorted by something?

The output LEDs brightness is affected by duty cycle, so if the pulsewidth is low and duty is low, they won't illuminate very much. Also, if the voltage is getting pulled down, they won't illuminate very bright either. I would love to see the output on an oscilloscope to ensure that you are getting the full 5V output.
koolksmart
Tue Jan 29 2013, 05:34AM
EasternVoltageResearch wrote ...

Do you have an oscilloscope to look at the signals? Do you still have 5V on the logic rail and its not shorted by something?

The output LEDs brightness is affected by duty cycle, so if the pulsewidth is low and duty is low, they won't illuminate very much. Also, if the voltage is getting pulled down, they won't illuminate very bright either. I would love to see the output on an oscilloscope to ensure that you are getting the full 5V output.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to an oscilloscope. Is there a way around this? The duty cycle is set fairly low--should I up it? None of the connections are shorted out, and all voltages read as normal.

In response to Physics Junkie: I haven't been able to get any output from the coil, keyboard or computer, but the 8-ohm speaker worked like a charm.
JayJayJay
Tue Feb 05 2013, 03:33PM
JayJayJay Registered Member #10023 Joined: Tue Feb 05 2013, 05:27AM
I had a similar issue where I ended up having solder short out the RCA connector on the board..It appeared I may have lifted a pad when desoldering.. Got a BNC connector and soldered a RCA cable to it.. Using this different connector resolved my issues.
HV Enthusiast
Tue Feb 05 2013, 03:38PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
JayJayJay wrote ...

I had a similar issue where I ended up having solder short out the RCA connector on the board..It appeared I may have lifted a pad when desoldering.. Got a BNC connector and soldered a RCA cable to it.. Using this different connector resolved my issues.

Hi JayJayJay,

Can you be more specific to where the solder short occurred? We'd like to know so we can improve the design if there is an issue with this.
Thanks again and glad you got it working.
koolksmart
Tue Feb 05 2013, 05:42PM
JayJayJay,

I'm still not sure exactly what you're saying. Could you clarify a bit more? Thank you!

EVR,

Would you have any recommendations at this point?
Physics Junkie
Tue Feb 05 2013, 06:21PM
Physics Junkie Registered Member #7267 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2012, 12:16AM
koolksmart wrote ...

I haven't been able to get any output from the coil, keyboard or computer, but the 8-ohm speaker worked like a charm.

Assuming that your circuit is fine. It sounds like there is a problem with the way you are connecting your circuit board to the devices (keyboard/tesla coil, etc). Can you take pictures of how your are setting everything up? I would like to see your connections from keyboard/MIDI source->MIDI circuit board->tesla coil.

If its not the connections, then it may be that somehow you have your RCA output and ground backwards. The test speaker will work regardless of polarity. But if you have it backwards, that could also explain no output when you hook everything up.
JayJayJay
Tue Feb 05 2013, 09:49PM
Hey EVR: I believe I flooded the 'PCB hole' with solder which then shorted to the other pad. The holes for that connector are a bit larger than the others due to the depth of the RCA connectors.. So, I just overdid it when trying to mount it. Thanks for your prompt responses!

Koolksmart: I chopped a RCA cable in half and soldered the wires to a BNC connector, leaving the female RCA jack off of the PCB entirely. Since it's the same circuit, it seems to work the same as if I was using a RCA-to-RCA connector.

Let me know if I can provide any additional info.
JayJayJay
Tue Feb 05 2013, 09:53PM
Koolksmart: Also, I was able to verify the short by plugging in RCA cable to female RCA jack and test continuity between tip/ring on cable and solder points. The tip on the cable side beeped out with both solder points at PCB which verified short. The output to speaker worked regardless of short.
first  2 3 4 5 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: