All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

ArcAttack! Tesla Gun

Move Thread LAN_403
brandon3055
Wed Jun 20 2012, 03:27AM
brandon3055 Registered Member #4548 Joined: Mon Apr 23 2012, 03:52AM
Nice work Steve I have a question about the transformer you used to connect the bridgees to the primary (i didn't know that was possible) using that method would it be possible to build a high voltage bridge say 300-400vdc at lower than normal current then use a transformer to lower the voltage to maby 100-200vdc at a much higher current this might make it possible to use lower power mosfets or igbt's in a high power coil what do you think?
Dr Hankenstein
Wed Jun 20 2012, 04:24AM
Dr Hankenstein Registered Member #1642 Joined: Sun Aug 17 2008, 11:36PM
Jay Leno had a Tesla "Ray Gun" on his show about five years ago. The thing was for sale on ebay. He was comparing "wouldn't you rather have one of these" than some other mediocre item that was going for more money. The ray gun was a tesla coil much in the style of Steve's; hand held, with a neon sign xfmr mounted on top. Very cool looking, indeed! Maybe someone else also saw this episode as well? Anyway, good job on the ray gun, Steve.

hank
Dr Hankenstein
Wed Jun 20 2012, 04:34AM
Dr Hankenstein Registered Member #1642 Joined: Sun Aug 17 2008, 11:36PM
FYI: this is a newer solid state version of the ray gun @ Link2

Cheerio!
Patrick
Wed Jun 20 2012, 05:38AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Dr. Spark wrote ...

Steve Conner wrote ...

That's awesome! smile I bet the capacitors inside the secondary coil are really to hit the zombies harder.

Zombies can only be killed by certified ammo @ Link2
and the brain has to be blown away to take them down. Zombies are not affected by sparks. Zombie season is almost here (Dec 21) please ensure you are prepared!
Ammo is going fast, had to go to three LGS to get all required ammo!

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best indeed.

1340125567 290 FT140268 Zom2

1340125567 290 FT140268 Zom1

well not to ThreadJack here, but id be hard pressed to see how 223's can be "zombie" killers, my personal chooice for an anti-zombie weapon would be the AA12 combat shotgun... and those explosive flak rounds i like so much...
Steve Ward
Wed Jun 20 2012, 05:45AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Nice work Steve I have a question about the transformer you used to connect the bridgees to the primary (i didn't know that was possible) using that method would it be possible to build a high voltage bridge say 300-400vdc at lower than normal current then use a transformer to lower the voltage to maby 100-200vdc at a much higher current this might make it possible to use lower power mosfets or igbt's in a high power coil what do you think?

Yes, you could do that, but it would be most efficient to simply design the tesla primary circuit to match with your transistors, so you wouldnt have to use a transformer to match it. Unless you are referring to what was previously discussed, combining the outputs of many smaller bridges to drive 1 tesla coil, which is why i use the transformers here. Im considering using the technique on some gigantic tesla coils because of limited options for capacitor configurations, this way i can better impedance match my bridge with the primary setup.

FYI: this is a newer solid state version of the ray gun @

That thing is pretty sweet too. Its sad Jeff is no longer with us, he did some pretty neat stuff.
Marko
Wed Jun 20 2012, 06:30AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hey guys - so when do we bring in some laser induced plasma channels into this? wink

Marko
Dr. Brownout
Wed Jun 20 2012, 01:33PM
Dr. Brownout Registered Member #2405 Joined: Fri Oct 02 2009, 12:59AM
Why is Jeff no longer with us?
Dr. Drone
Wed Jun 20 2012, 03:24PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
Pinkamena
Wed Jun 20 2012, 07:03PM
Pinkamena Registered Member #4237 Joined: Tue Nov 29 2011, 02:49PM
This is awesome. I have no idea what your wrote in your post, but I can nevertheless enjoy the amazingness of that teslacoil!
Tetris
Thu Jun 21 2012, 03:30AM
Tetris Registered Member #4016 Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011, 01:52AM
Dr. Spark wrote ...

Steve Conner wrote ...

Sorry, regular guns might be more effective at killing things, but for sheer geek points, Steve's Tesla gun is untouchable. wink
Hmmmm strange as all the Geek's that come to my house and the W.W.T. want to see Class three weapons ready for Zombies and really do not care about coils. Now that females are going crazy with guns, guess if you want to be a Geek and get ladies (15 million US women pack heat @ Link2 ….must have both indeed @ Link2
So for pure Geekness, Geeks with ladies are better than Geeks with no ladies. Just saying @ Link2 !

Geeks with geek ladies are better. Geeks with high voltage ladygeeks are even more lucky! :P hehe. But there aren't a few million of them like the gun number. Knock off six zeroes! lol,

@ thread: Are you arcing to that guy? also, 1A through your arm! O_O wow even with my little knowledge on how coils work and electricity and all, that CAN'T be safe! Be careful! Now all I wonder if that can be applied to hat-coils, like "IdRatherBeCubing" did on youtube. That handheld coil is so badass. hehe!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: