All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
05/01 Shaun (34)
05/01 Spedy (30)
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

oneTesla - a small single-board DRSSTC

Move Thread LAN_403
nixie
Sun Jul 29 2012, 03:06PM
nixie Registered Member #3908 Joined: Tue May 24 2011, 09:40PM
Hi There,
I bought one of the boards. And received the known items through Mouser/Digikey.

A few questions on materials and assembly. These may be common, and might help others wanting to build it.

(a) Heat Sink; Who is the supplier/Part number?

(b) GDT Core; a spec, or recommended supplier/part number?

(c) GDT windings; how many turns? I'm guessing 20 perhaps?

Thanks, Jeff

Dr. ISOTOP
Sun Jul 29 2012, 09:20PM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
nixie wrote ...

Hi There,
I bought one of the boards. And received the known items through Mouser/Digikey.

A few questions on materials and assembly. These may be common, and might help others wanting to build it.

Thanks, Jeff

1) Mine are currently pulled from ATX power supplies; I'm still seeking a supplier that will do small quantities.
2) I used a Sanlin SL5 core about an inch in diameter
3) 15-20 turns seems about right.
Ben Solon
Sun Jul 29 2012, 11:55PM
Ben Solon Registered Member #3900 Joined: Thu May 19 2011, 08:28PM
Dr. ISOTOP wrote ...

nixie wrote ...

Hi There,

Thanks, Jeff

1) Mine are currently pulled from ATX power supplies; I'm still seeking a supplier that will do small quantities.
2) I used a Sanlin SL5 core about an inch in diameter
3) 15-20 turns seems about right.

Heatsink USA will sell relatively cheap heatsink by the inch^2, but I don't know if they do price breaks. They will also drill and tap for you(probably extra).

Really, any ferrite with a high permeability and good transfer at the desired frequency will work. Then just calculate the # of turns=(V*T)/(B*Ae).

I just may have to make/buy one of these myself after my big drsstc is done! Good work bwang and Kramnik, this is an interesting project you've got going here.
Dr. ISOTOP
Mon Jul 30 2012, 03:06AM
ben123324 wrote ...

Heatsink USA will sell relatively cheap heatsink by the inch^2, but I don't know if they do price breaks. They will also drill and tap for you(probably extra).

It needs to be the right shape of extrusion (for board-mounting).
Really, the cheapest way might just be getting surplus Dell PSU's off eBay and gutting them tongue
Killa-X
Mon Jul 30 2012, 05:01AM
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
I got my heatsinks off ebay, had to really hack them up to fit.
I use the ferrites electronic goldmine USE to sell.
I'm using 8 turns, which is my typical DRSSTC setup.

Seems to work great, may do a 120V test with IGBTs today, get more sparks you know? :D
Dr. ISOTOP
Tue Jul 31 2012, 10:36PM
So Killa-X told me via PM that the IGBT's died at 300A doing burst mode operation. Kramnik also killed a bridge doing music with really long pulsewidths, so I guess the conclusion to be drawn here is that the coil doesn't like super-high duty cycles.
Ben Solon
Tue Jul 31 2012, 10:54PM
Ben Solon Registered Member #3900 Joined: Thu May 19 2011, 08:28PM
Raise be impedence of the system a couple times. I would like to see the results of that. It might not increase spark length or primary current, but the longer on-times might make it a bit more user friendly for people who buy one without the knowledge of exactly how they work.

What exactly have the limits been? 300A by Kramnik, has anyone else blown a bridge and measured the conditions? The irg4pc50Ud might be a decent upgrade...
Killa-X
Tue Jul 31 2012, 11:08PM
I had to been running 50 primary current cycles...quiet a bit heh...plus i was burst-mode.

Once i replace the bridge later on i will leave everything the same and attempt to count the cycles..and measure the on vs off time, of when my coil went pop..

Most DRSSTC bridges have a snubber capacitor on them, is it not required on yours for some reason..?

976UNl
not to mention i had 1 flash over before the video, i lifted the coil up by an inch, fixed the issues. Link2
Dr. ISOTOP
Tue Jul 31 2012, 11:16PM
ben123324 wrote ...

Raise be impedence of the system a couple times. I would like to see the results of that. It might not increase spark length or primary current, but the longer on-times might make it a bit more user friendly for people who buy one without the knowledge of exactly how they work.

What exactly have the limits been? 300A by Kramnik, has anyone else blown a bridge and measured the conditions? The irg4pc50Ud might be a decent upgrade...

IMO high-impedance primaries are actually less user-friendly - they require long on-times and run the transistors hotter.
I haven't tried the IRG4PC50UD yet...they seem roughly equivalent to the 60N60's I've been using and have a higher thermal impedance, plus they are a bit slower.

Killa-X wrote ...

I had to been running 50 primary current cycles...quiet a bit heh...plus i was burst-mode.

Once i replace the bridge later on i will leave everything the same and attempt to count the cycles..and measure the on vs off time, of when my coil went pop..

Most DRSSTC bridges have a snubber capacitor on them, is it not required on yours for some reason..?

976UNl
not to mention i had 1 flash over before the video, i lifted the coil up by an inch, fixed the issues. Link2

Wow, nice work. 50 cycles is a lot...that's a couple hundred microseconds at your resonant frequency right? If you were variac'ing the bridge while keeping pulsewidths and such constant, have you tried holding the bridge at a constant voltage and raising pulsewidth until you find performance satisfactory?
My original excuse for not using a snubber was that i didn't have the board space for one (back when the board was etched on to 4x6" PCB stock from eBay). The current design uses a super-low-inductance laminated bus, so I haven't really found a need for a film cap yet. A film cap will most likely improve performance a bit - you can try soldering one directly to the capacitor terminals if you want.
As an FYI for everyone who has bought a board so far: the bleeders are meant to be soldered directly to the buscap terminals on the bottom of the board! Use bleeders!
Killa-X
Tue Jul 31 2012, 11:53PM
I can see, i have a few caps but they maybe too small for snubber use. Its a 400V 1uF capacitor, 0.007ohm ESR.

I only messed with the duty cycle for making the arcs have some meat to them, and not be thin strains of hair, and its roughly around that 200Khz zone.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: