Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Life Below 5 keV

Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Thu Jun 14 2012, 05:43PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Ionisation Chamber Collector Plate

1339694792 543 FT0 Collector Plate Top

1339694816 543 FT0 Collector Plate Bottom

The etched face of the PTFE slab will take epoxy for glueing to the ceramic hurdles.

The self-adhesive copper foil adheres only lightly to the PTFE surface, so I carried the guard on right round the bottom and tacked the corners together with solder, so it is strapped down as well as glued now.

I used a 25W iron with Ersin Multi Core lead/tin solder for this job, and found the solder flowed quickly enough to stop the adhesive on the copper playing up, which I was afraid it might try to do, given the chance.

@Les - yes, it's wonderful that the world below 5 keV was almost ignored until quite recently - not like some wretched old lamp post upon which fifty generations of dogs have already made their mark! smile
Ash Small
Thu Jun 14 2012, 07:01PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
@ Les: Yes. I realise the simplicity of the ion chamber. It's just that after PM's comments about only ~6.5% of radiation will make it into the chamber at these energy levels I was wondering if it was possible to use a pmt with suitable scintillator. I appreciate the biggest hurdle would be obtaining a suitable scintillator. Things like NaI/Tl crystals do turn up occasionally on E-bay.

@PM: Could photographic paper not be used as a simple guage of emissions @ various energy levels? (or even digital camera technology?)

BTW, very nice work! smile
Proud Mary
Thu Jun 14 2012, 07:38PM
Ash Small wrote ...

@ Les: Yes. I realise the simplicity of the ion chamber. It's just that after PM's comments about only ~6.5% of radiation will make it into the chamber at these energy levels I was wondering if it was possible to use a pmt with suitable scintillator. I appreciate the biggest hurdle would be obtaining a suitable scintillator. Things like NaI/Tl crystals do turn up occasionally on E-bay.

@PM: Could photographic paper not be used as a simple guage of emissions @ various energy levels? (or even digital camera technology?)

BTW, very nice work! smile

Perhaps I haven't done a good job of making myself clear, Mr Ash. I intended to make clear that at 2.3 keV, only 6.5% of the total photons generated at the anode ever managed to escape through the beryllium window of the Grenz generator. And these survivors suffered a further 35% loss just traveling through 1 cm of air, so that only 4.2% of the original photons were available to interact with whatever kind of detector you put there.

One advantage the free air ionisation chamber has over almost all other detectors - including NaI/Tl* - is that it doesn't need a window of any kind that would produce further losses.

I will be looking at direct digital imaging when all the basic apparatus and instruments have been taken care of. I have to make everything up as I go along, so don't hold your breath! smile

*NaI/Tl is hygroscopic, so must be operated in an anhydrous atmosphere with a beryllium or aluminium window.
Proud Mary
Thu Jun 14 2012, 08:00PM
pressed the wrong button!
plazmatron
Thu Jun 14 2012, 08:07PM
plazmatron Registered Member #1134 Joined: Tue Nov 20 2007, 04:39PM
Ash Small wrote ...

Could photographic paper not be used as a simple guage of emissions @ various energy levels? (or even digital camera technology?)

Sure! In fact I use small piece of photographic paper all the time to test at these low kVp levels. It has the added advantage providing you with a beam profile too, which is very handy as far as imaging goes.

Film may be faster, however my shed is far from dark enough, paper is fast enough, and the white background provides good contrast for making quick observations.

As far as silicon is concerned, I suspect it would make a wholly suitable detector, since all of the photons that arrive at the chip, will deposit their energy at the surface. I would guess even the bare silicon layer of a photodiode, or solar cell, would make an adequate detector.

Les
Ash Small
Fri Jun 15 2012, 09:13AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

Perhaps I haven't done a good job of making myself clear, Mr Ash. I intended to make clear that at 2.3 keV, only 6.5% of the total photons generated at the anode ever managed to escape through the beryllium window of the Grenz generator. And these survivors suffered a further 65% loss just traveling through 1 cm of air, so that only 4.2% of the original photons were available to interact with whatever kind of detector you put there.

One advantage the free air ionisation chamber has over almost all other detectors - including NaI/Tl* - is that it doesn't need a window of any kind that would produce further losses.

I will be looking at direct digital imaging when all the basic apparatus and instruments have been taken care of. I have to make everything up as I go along, so don't hold your breath! smile

*NaI/Tl is hygroscopic, so must be operated in an anhydrous atmosphere with a beryllium or aluminium window.

Aaah, that certainly clarifies things, PM.

I simply wondered what the obstacles were to using a PMT @ these low energy levels, compared to the ionization chamber, or other methods.
Proud Mary
Fri Jun 15 2012, 09:51AM
Haha, I didn't make myself clear at all!

When I wrote that

"I intended to make clear that at 2.3 keV, only 6.5% of the total photons generated at the anode ever managed to escape through the beryllium window of the Grenz generator. And these survivors suffered a further 65% loss just traveling through 1 cm of air, so that only 4.2% of the original photons were available to interact with whatever kind of detector you put there."

I should have said "survivors suffered a further 35% loss just traveling through 1 cm of air" i.e. that 65% got through the 1 cm of air.

I will go back and edit the original so readers aren't further mislead.
Proud Mary
Fri Jun 15 2012, 10:59AM
Collector Plate Assembly

1339757575 543 FT0 Collector Assembly

The copper foil on the collector has lifted slightly around the soldering, so I have dropped 'superglue' down the triaxial feedthrough - where the semi-rigid co-ax passes through it - to forestall any movement that might result in a tear.
Proud Mary
Fri Jun 15 2012, 12:18PM
Hamamatsu L11757

Hamamatsu have used an ionization chamber to plot the air ion discharge gradient produced by their new 4.9 kV Grenz source.

1339762205 543 FT0 Hamamatsu L11757

Proud Mary
Fri Jun 15 2012, 06:32PM
Bias Input Socket

1339785084 543 FT0 Top View Bias Input

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: