Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Oscillations Redux

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
sngecko
Sat Apr 21 2012, 01:49AM
sngecko Registered Member #3447 Joined: Fri Nov 26 2010, 11:10PM
As Watson once said, "I have no doubt that I am very stupid." I appreciate the insights that Proud Mary, Marko, Steve Conner, and Steve Maurer have brought to my little project. It's been a long time coming to fruition, and thanks to you, it has a good chance of getting done. I've learned a heck of a lot along the way.

This is what I've got to be going on for now:

(1) If oscillation is in the triode, then first try grid stopper resistance. Then anode, grid, and cathode chokes (in that order?) as well as bypass caps in anode chain (20kV, 100nF!)

(2) If oscillation is in the feedback loop vis-a-vis the op-amp and MOSFET, then try an RC filter across the output to the negative input.

Re: (2), I've done some RC calculations and think that R=100k and C=.1uF or so should give -20dB attenuation at 100Hz. Sound good? Am I right in thinking that this arrangement (kinda RCR) acts like an RC filter in both directions?

I'd like to try (2) first since its fairly easy to solder a couple little parts together and jam their little legs in those DIP sockets. We'll see.
1334972991 3447 FT137255 Stoposcillation
Steve Conner
Sat Apr 21 2012, 05:51AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
sngecko wrote ...

Something like this?

27 Pm

Yes! smile

Marko's comments may well be valid too, but oscillations in the FET/opamp part of the circuit are a separate issue.

FWIW I've built similar current regulators, albeit minus the high voltage cascode, and they worked without compensation. As far as the op-amp's feedback is concerned, the MOSFET is functioning as a source follower, so the loop gain can never be more than 1.
Steve Maurer
Sat Apr 21 2012, 03:02PM
Steve Maurer Registered Member #133 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 10:27PM
Steve and Marko both have good ideas. Definitely try installing the grid resistor first. If oscillation persists, then pursue the op-amp section also. The last op-amp stage may be modified to form a low pass filter if needed.

Clarification concerning the 24 V SMPS common mode filter:
If a SMPS happens to run erratically under certain dynamic loading conditions (due to high frequency noise presented to the output SMPS), then a common mode filter placed in line with the output leads of the SMPS (not the AC line cord input to the SMPS) will sometimes help. Note that the load on the power supply plays a part in the loop response of the SMPS.

(On a side note: A good way to verify SMPS stability is to test the output with a fast rise time pulsed load at several frequencies. I usually check my switch mode supplies at pulsed frequencies of 100 Hz, 1 kHz, and 10 kHz.)
Marko
Sat Apr 21 2012, 03:31PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
sngecko wrote ...

As Watson once said, "I have no doubt that I am very stupid." I appreciate the insights that Proud Mary, Marko, Steve Conner, and Steve Maurer have brought to my little project. It's been a long time coming to fruition, and thanks to you, it has a good chance of getting done. I've learned a heck of a lot along the way.

This is what I've got to be going on for now:

(1) If oscillation is in the triode, then first try grid stopper resistance. Then anode, grid, and cathode chokes (in that order?) as well as bypass caps in anode chain (20kV, 100nF!)

(2) If oscillation is in the feedback loop vis-a-vis the op-amp and MOSFET, then try an RC filter across the output to the negative input.

Re: (2), I've done some RC calculations and think that R=100k and C=.1uF or so should give -20dB attenuation at 100Hz. Sound good? Am I right in thinking that this arrangement (kinda RCR) acts like an RC filter in both directions?

I'd like to try (2) first since its fairly easy to solder a couple little parts together and jam their little legs in those DIP sockets. We'll see.
1334972991 3447 FT137255 Stoposcillation

Hello -

nah that doesn't look right - you need some resistance in your feedback path (wire going from your sense resistor to opamp negative input) to form a meaningful divider. And for start I'd just replace your CRC-whatever with a single 1uF cap to make a simple I regulator. This should stop the oscillations and you can always upgrade it alter if you need better impulse response (don't know if you want to audiomodulate the lasers or whatever?)

Also, only now I've realized that the filter cap on the triode grid doesn't go to it's cathode, but all way to the ground. If you think the tube might be unstable, maybe it would be wiser to connect the cap straight to cathode (again it doesn't matter for static operation). This should nullify any chances of tube squeg or whatever better than any grid resistors, as I think.

Marko

sngecko
Sun Apr 22 2012, 01:03AM
Thanks Marko and Steve---

That contraption I put together there didn't make any sense to me either. Sorry, Marko. At least a 1uF cap along that path makes sense to me. I understand that the feedback signal will be slightly out of phase, so the cap sort of smooths the gap a bit, right? Since my input will be manual, fed from a pot off a linear 15v supply, there shouldn't be any weird HF inputs to interact with that cap.

I'll get to work at once on the grid stopper and see what happens, then try out the opamp cap.
sngecko
Mon Apr 23 2012, 06:10PM
THIS JUST IN: I attached a 1.5k grid stopper and fired up the laser. Unfortunately the symptoms persisted, but I at least learned that only the main 24V case fan is slowing in the presence of this oscillation. The other two 24V boost fans (one for each tube channel) seems to operate at or near normal parameters during the noise.

AGAIN: I just confirmed that with a .22uF cap across the output and negative input pin... no change. Still, an audible squeal increasing in frequency with current through the circuit. So, the last culprit is, in fact, the triode, right?

I guess the 1.5k stopper resistor didn't do the job. Also, I need to look closer at the input to that silly fan. I just can't see where it's coupled to the RF noise -- drive circuitry as someone suggested, I guess.

What would be the effect of tying the grid to the cathode with a .5uf capacitor, as suggested above?
Marko
Wed Apr 25 2012, 12:09AM
Not sere why, but you just seem to insist on leaving out that crucial resistor that would give sense to the whole thing. You need something to form a voltage divider on your feedback signal!

Img191

It's the RC time constant that slows down the response, and if you make it into like seconds (1 meg , 1uF) I have strong feelings that oscillations should stop on that part.

That's of course the most basic solution of all and you have some big homework to do on regulators if you wish to optimize your impulse response speed, overshoot and so on.

I also have no idea if such a simple solution is even proper for a negative resistance load such as a laser tube - you could have a well working current regulator which still creates a relaxation oscillator with the unintuitive aid of some capacitor. (needles to say, don't use a "filter capacitor" across your tube!)

To test the regulator, always use dummy resistance first (or just keep it shorted) until you've gotten it to work properly.

Marko

sngecko
Wed Apr 25 2012, 02:41AM
You know? That's a really good point that I seem to have overlooked... test the regulation portion with a dummy load, then work back.

I just started a new thread that addresses what you put up there, essentially an inverting integrator, right? Well, the way my circuit is set up, I have a non-inverting, unity, closed loop feedback chain. I am learning more and more how this is an inherently metastable arrangement that often leads to RF oscillations of all sorts, especially with the TL080 series op-amps. They apparently have a relatively high output impedance that just keeps the oscillations coming. I've considered the following solutions:

(1) Twist the gate drive and source wires together all the way down to the off-board regulator elements
(2) Replace the TL084s with AD713s, with lower output impedance
(3) I like this one for some reason: Put a 30-something Ohm resistor in the feedback loop with several turns of magnet wire around it (parallel hookup) to block HF component, but pass the DC component
(4) Build up a non-inverting integrator!
Steve Conner
Wed Apr 25 2012, 06:38AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
What Marko said, your integrator is not "non-inverting", or the feedback would be positive.
Marko
Wed Apr 25 2012, 07:54AM
sngecko wrote ...

You know? That's a really good point that I seem to have overlooked... test the regulation portion with a dummy load, then work back.

I just started a new thread that addresses what you put up there, essentially an inverting integrator, right? Well, the way my circuit is set up, I have a non-inverting, unity, closed loop feedback chain. I am learning more and more how this is an inherently metastable arrangement that often leads to RF oscillations of all sorts, especially with the TL080 series op-amps. They apparently have a relatively high output impedance that just keeps the oscillations coming. I've considered the following solutions:

(1) Twist the gate drive and source wires together all the way down to the off-board regulator elements
(2) Replace the TL084s with AD713s, with lower output impedance
(3) I like this one for some reason: Put a 30-something Ohm resistor in the feedback loop with several turns of magnet wire around it (parallel hookup) to block HF component, but pass the DC component
(4) Build up a non-inverting integrator!

No... just add a 1 meg resistor into your feedback path.

Marko
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: