Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

trying to repair FRG-7 receiver

Move Thread LAN_403
hsieh
Thu Apr 19 2012, 01:18AM
hsieh Registered Member #1412 Joined: Thu Mar 27 2008, 04:07PM
I connect the capacitor and wire to the junction of R101, C101, and Q101,But I still cannot hear any signal.I only can hear some weird sound.

I also measure TP101 with oscilloscope and get a perfect sine wave.and the frequency range seems correct.
Proud Mary
Thu Apr 19 2012, 09:57AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
OK Hsieh.

First we will go back to the doubtful waveform at the VFO (Q403) and VFO buffer (Q404).

Go to the junction of C410 and T403 and look for a signal between 2.455 - 3.455 MHz. This signal should vary in frequency across this range when you turn the main tuning dial.

Setting the receiver to the conditions given at the bottom of Table 5, measure the voltages at Emitter, Collector and Base of Q403 and Q404 and compare these test results with the figures given in the voltage chart.

hsieh
Fri Apr 20 2012, 01:37AM
I test the junction of C410 and T403 and get a perfect sine wave.The frequency range is correct.I test TP404 again and now I get a stable sine wave too.I didn't do anything.I only clean the circuit board with some sort of cleaner.

I also measure the voltages of Q403 and Q404.They are close to the voltage given in the manual.
Proud Mary
Fri Apr 20 2012, 09:18AM
That's good news about TP404! smile

Do make sure that your probe contacts and crocodile clips are sharp enough to penetrate any surface coatings of varnish, oxidation, or dirt.

Now to some more voltage measurements!

Set the reciever to the condition specified at the bottom of Table 5, measure the voltages on C,B, E of Q101, Q102, Q103, Q104, Q105, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 and Q201, and compare with the specifications.
Conundrum
Fri Apr 20 2012, 06:22PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Another thought, view the board on a thermal imager to look for hot spots from bad transistors etc.

-A
Steve Conner
Fri Apr 20 2012, 06:30PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Don't listen to Conundrum! He'll have you improvising heat sinks from Sugru and metal filings. wink

Where are you going to get a thermal imager anyway? You could buy another dozen FRG-7s for the cost of even renting one.

If it were me, I'd be poking the board with a chopstick and banging on the chassis, to check for loose connections. Oh, and check for dirt between the tuning capacitor vanes, if it has a tuning capacitor.
hsieh
Sat Apr 21 2012, 02:09PM
I think probably I can use a thermal imager for free.There is one in our school lab and my teacher once said that I can use it.But will this trick work?

I am curious to know if FRG-7 is a well known model or not.
Proud Mary
Sat Apr 21 2012, 03:01PM
hsieh wrote ...

I think probably I can use a thermal imager for free.There is one in our school lab and my teacher once said that I can use it.But will this trick work?

I am curious to know if FRG-7 is a well known model or not.

I can't help you with suggestions about fault finding with thermal imaging devices, as I have no experience in this, and will leave it to Conundrum to tell you what would be the best way of repairing your receiver using this technique. I know only the old slow way of doing this, circuit by circuit, until the fault is found.

But I can tell you that FRG-7 was one of the first high quality receivers built for sale to radio amateurs. It offered triple conversion, frequency synthesis, and Wadley loop stabilization, which had previously only been seen in communications receivers for professional use - such as military and maritime.

A Yaesu Musen FRG-7 in good working order and good cosmetic condition will still sell for a good price on ebay.
Conundrum
Sat Apr 21 2012, 03:49PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Its an accepted technique, industry uses this all the time to locate shorts on multilayer boards.
Its also used for military applications where extreme reliability is essential, when recertifying a repaired board.
I think they compare it with a known good (KG) board and if there are substantial differences then the board gets reworked or scrapped.

-A
hsieh
Mon Apr 23 2012, 01:53AM
Today I measured the voltages and find some transistors that might be bad.

How much error is acceptable?I f the manual says 9V but I get 10V,Is this ok?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: