Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DRSSTCs and Long Pulse arcs (corkscrew effect)

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Nik
Mon Jul 17 2006, 08:21AM
Nik Registered Member #53 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:31AM
AH! I just rememberd a photo I took of a flyback arc in a xenon flash tube, the arc spiraled around the inside of the tube from one end to the other. The reflection makes it look like a double helix but it is infact just one.

Link2

The arc stayed in that corkscrew shape until I moved or any one else came close, but the important part is there were no perminant magnets, its HF AC and its a corkscrew.
Avalanche
Mon Jul 17 2006, 08:57AM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
I've seen that double helix photo before, but never got around to trying it. Shouldn't be that hard to validate, I would guess if it is real the helix is caused by field shaping or something. It looks very low power though, there are no streamers considering the exposure time. There's no real info to go by, like size or anything but I might give it a try.
Tesladownunder
Mon Jul 17 2006, 09:41AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Terry Fritz wrote ...

.. Although the effect is commonly obsserved, I don't know of any "offical" real science papers on it. I should note that I found these pictures:
Link2
Link2
Which do show the powerful magnet deflecting the streamers. So maybe my little experiment was just not setup right to really detect anything...
This photo looks to me to simple field repulsion and nothing to do with magnetism on an AC streamer. Take the magnet and leave the foil wrapper in place and I believe it would look the same. This is the same as a corona ring effect on inhibiting adjacent sparks.
A magnet would act differently and tend to split the streamer however the action of the heated channel probably overwhelms and nullify the effect which is why we dont see it much.

blackplasma wrote ...

Wow, I can't believe I just read that.
...TDU, I know you've got a pic of a plasma discharge inside a tube distorted by a big speaker magnet... I've never been sure if it was because of the presence of the field, or the capacitive effect of a big metallish object against the glass?....
Its a magnetic effect. The physics dept has one that makes a beam turn full circle as a demo. Thats how they bend beams for synchrotrons and linear accelerators before they get to the linear part wink

Peter
1153129284 10 FT13056 Vactuberingmag
Avalanche
Mon Jul 17 2006, 10:03AM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
Ok, I tried the pyramid thing to see if I could get a corkscrew / double helix type effect.

The results are pretty much inconclusive, although it does seem to make the discharge point upwards in a straight line as opposed to bushing out. Coil is my maplin coil in CW mode, with about 12 volts on the bridge, 15 second exposure.

Doesn't really prove much, as it was only a 5 minute job - uses aluminium tape, random angles, and 3 sides tongue
1153130613 103 FT13056 Cw Pyramid
Coronafix
Mon Jul 17 2006, 11:20AM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
I'd say that it would have to be the same geometry as the great pyramid. I also seem to remember that it said somewhere that the coil was in a vacuum.
Not so easy there if that is so.
But interesting to note that the "corkscrew" effect could possible be controlled to a full spiral, if of course the picture has validity.
All I know is that it has been on the net for a long time with not much info other than the keelynet article.

[Edit: Slight tweak]
 1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: