Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Royer induction heater

Move Thread LAN_403
Marko
Fri Aug 19 2011, 04:52PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi guys,

In the video I'm actually using two UPS transformers wired in reverse, in series - rectified and filtered with a bunch of caps. I have a MOT too but I don't want to hammer out it's secondary and I'm actually building a transformer now from some huge cores I had around from old dead OBIT's.

I suggested a MOT as an easy solution for a power supply for soemone who has acces to lots of MOT's.

Gabriel: I don't know what type your caps are so I can't tell whether they'll be good or not, but also their capacitance seems a bit too high individually, unless they can handle 20-30amps per cap I wouldn't use them. If they are polyester, which they most likely are, the circuit might not work at all or they may just burn out.

Marko
Goodchild
Fri Aug 19 2011, 07:27PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Beautiful construction, all your compact projects are great!

May I ask what the overall voltage and RMS current rating is of the MMC bank you are running? It must be rather high by the amount of power you are putting into it!
Nah
Fri Aug 19 2011, 08:39PM
Nah Registered Member #3567 Joined: Mon Jan 03 2011, 10:49PM
I knew it was a good idea to get all those WIMA caps!

Also, would it be ok to use a back of caps with different values?

Thank you

Paul
Forty
Fri Aug 19 2011, 09:22PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
oh whoops. i thought by "I don't have a proper power source though, I feel sorry killing my only MOT to rewind it." you meant that you already had killed your mot and currently feel bad. sorry for responding incorrectly on your behalf.

i wonder too about using a bank of mismatched capacitors (i've got lots of salvaged mkp x2 box caps.) I suppose it would be fun to try it out and possibly explode a few.
anyone ever used an ac oil filled cap (like a MOC) in a high current tank circuit? i've got 3 10.5uf 520vac oil filled caps from a large ballast and no idea what to do with them.
Gabriel35
Mon Aug 22 2011, 01:42AM
Gabriel35 Registered Member #2310 Joined: Wed Aug 19 2009, 08:04PM
Nah wrote ...

I knew it was a good idea to get all those WIMA caps!

Also, would it be ok to use a back of caps with different values?

Thank you

Paul

I Have the same doubt. about different cap values...

Thank you!
Dr. ISOTOP
Mon Aug 22 2011, 02:18AM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
Forty wrote ...

oh whoops. i thought by "I don't have a proper power source though, I feel sorry killing my only MOT to rewind it." you meant that you already had killed your mot and currently feel bad. sorry for responding incorrectly on your behalf.

i wonder too about using a bank of mismatched capacitors (i've got lots of salvaged mkp x2 box caps.) I suppose it would be fun to try it out and possibly explode a few.
anyone ever used an ac oil filled cap (like a MOC) in a high current tank circuit? i've got 3 10.5uf 520vac oil filled caps from a large ballast and no idea what to do with them.
Different-valued caps will share current unequally, leading to possible failure of some of the capacitors.
Don't use oil/paper/mylar caps in a tank circuit. You'll be real sad when it fails and spits boiling oil at you.
Marko
Mon Aug 22 2011, 03:17AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
hi guys,

If you have the caps from same manufacturer, of same technology and voltage rating but different capacitance I think they should do reasonably well when paralleled. Caps will form a current divider and all of them will share portions of current proportional to their capacitance.

The downside is that not all of the caps may be able to take the same power dissipation punishment due to surface area of their package. Due to square/cube law a lot of small, low-value caps are of benefit here,

So if you have caps that are like 0.27uF and 0.15uF mixing them should work fine, but you wouldn't be able to run 0.15's to their maximum without cooking the other ones. So I say mix them and have fun - just watch them not to overheat. The general rule for polypropylene caps seems to be, if they're too hot to touch, they're too hot, as I found out the hard way.

Goodchild:

I'm not sure what exactly is the current rating of the caps, but dividing the tank voltage with it's characteristic impedance yielded a current value of as much as 150A - and without water cooling the coil gets sizzling hot in seconds. I'm very surprised how well are the caps holding without blowing up so far.

They are 160V DC caps and I'm running them up to 70V AC,which seems to be about the limit considering they get quite hot.

Cheers,

Marko
Gabriel35
Mon Aug 22 2011, 02:58PM
Can you post a video of your oscillator melting a screw?
Or Something like that Marko?
It's so nice to see things melting and burning with it, and quite impressive too.

Hey guys! I'm back, and got my new IRFP's260N and everything is working nicely, but now i have one problem... Like Marko said, when the workpiece is introduced on the work coil, the voltage drops a lot, in my case, I got a transformer very simmilar to the one that appears on Marko's video. It's rated 24V AC, Rectified it becomes 36vDC, when i turn the circuit on, it drops to 31, and with work, it drops to 24vDC...
I've made some calculations here, I got 11.8A as maximum current draw, and when the workpiece meets curie point it starts droping and keeps at 9A, so, my power source drops down to 24vDC, it gives me a real power of ~276W and aproximately 230W when curie point is reached...
With only 276W i alredy got the screw to become RedHot and I'm pretty excited to get more power with it, I think something around 1200W

As for the supplys, whats the advantage on using a separate 12v supply for the mosfets gates and a higher voltage for the power stage?

Someone knows a way to avoid that and make the thing work at full power?

As Marko noted, I can go up to 60v, because I'm using IRFP260N as switches.

Thank you!
Arcstarter
Tue Aug 23 2011, 12:49AM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
Gabriel35 wrote ...

Hey guys! I'm back, and got my new IRFP's260N and everything is working nicely, but now i have one problem... Like Marko said, when the workpiece is introduced on the work coil, the voltage drops a lot, in my case, I got a transformer very simmilar to the one that appears on Marko's video. It's rated 24V AC, Rectified it becomes 36vDC, when i turn the circuit on, it drops to 31, and with work, it drops to 24vDC...
I've made some calculations here, I got 11.8A as maximum current draw, and when the workpiece meets curie point it starts droping and keeps at 9A, so, my power source drops down to 24vDC, it gives me a real power of ~276W and aproximately 230W when curie point is reached...
With only 276W i alredy got the screw to become RedHot and I'm pretty excited to get more power with it, I think something around 1200W

As for the supplys, whats the advantage on using a separate 12v supply for the mosfets gates and a higher voltage for the power stage?

Someone knows a way to avoid that and make the thing work at full power?

As Marko noted, I can go up to 60v, because I'm using IRFP260N as switches.

Thank you!
To get more overall wattage, you can lower the inductance/resistance of the work coil for lower impedance which raises the current, or use more voltage which would also raise the current.

The 12v supply for the mosfet gates is a good idea. I doubt i will be making any more ZVSs without that kind of drive. With a 12v supply, the gate resistors have to drop less voltage, and thusly heat less. This means more efficiency and smaller resistors, i used a single 1/4 watt resistor for each gate and they remained well within their resistance tolerance range. However, i would probably use less than 500 ohms, because as the voltage drops, so does the speed the gates charge.

A big transformer is needed for the wattage you want, and even a MOT wound with too thin wire could be 50v output with no load and drop to 25v with 10 amp load. You can use ohm's law to calculate the amount of voltage that will be dropped across the resistance of the secondary, if you know the resistance of the secondary.
Gabriel35
Tue Aug 23 2011, 02:05AM
And about the two inductors noted 45~200uH , if I lower their inductance, will the current raise?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: