All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Vacuum Rectifiers X-rays report

Move Thread LAN_403
radhoo
Wed Jan 19 2011, 09:32AM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
@Arcstarter, thanks, make sure those stabilizers you're planning to use don't have lead glass. I was surprised to see how efficient they are in blocking my 50keV x-rays.

@Proud Mary, There is iron inside, I saw this when doing the neodymium magnets test, not sure if it's the entire anode bell - but I don't think so, since the attraction was weak - probably I was sensing just the steel wires holding the internals together. Do you perhaps have another chart showing the emissions for tungsten? Got something here: Link2 , this sure explains the big difference in choosing the anode.
For inverse polarization, I wonder how quickly the filament will get destroyed after these tests. And I'm guessing the electrons have one single favorite spot.

Time to post some new results, I got the field distribution shape, and it looks very good!
radhoo
Wed Jan 19 2011, 11:22AM
06.A Field distribution test
Note: A 2X2 Tube in inverse polarization at 50KV. Setup looks like this:
1295432241 1938 FT106277 Field Copy

Test1: The Z(vertical) axis:
19 29 45
Here is the last image again, with exposure/brightness increased in software:
45 P
Conclusion: As expected, on the vertical axis, the radiation is higher at the same level the anode is (the tungsten filament, under the bell). The bell doesn't make any difference, in fact the radiation is higher where the bell is (it passes straight through).

Test 2: First 360° (X/Y) distribution results
The same setup was used and four images of the fluorescent screen where taken with tube at A=0° , A=90°, A=180°, A=270°. Distance from the tube was D=6 cm (another test with D=10cm was performed, but with the same results).
It was very important not to move the camera at all , not to change any distances, fluorescent screen position, etc, so the results would be comparable. Here are the 4 shots, with exposure/brightness improvement:
16 P 19 P 05 P 22 P
And after Segmentation Threshold was applied (Level=140):
16 P T140 19 P T140 05 P T140 22 P T140
Here's is the tube, at 0°,90°,180°,270° in the same positions used to generate the images above:
1295434346 1938 FT106277 Dsc 4702 1295434346 1938 FT106277 Dsc 4703 1295434346 1938 FT106277 Dsc 4704 1295434346 1938 FT106277 Dsc 4705
Conclusions:The field distribution is uniform. The small changes in shape are only caused by the small metal plate, under the bell (easily visible by comparing the tube images with the blue fluorescent images). The source of radiation resulting from the 2X2 tube, should be visualized as a HOT, vertical rod, places inside the Bell. This rod, is , of course, the tungsten filament positioned vertically. The metallic bell produces almost no perturbation on the x-ray escaping it, however the small metal plate, under the bell is a strong blocker (it is not steel! what metal could that be?)
LE: the reason we get less radiation under the bell level is not entirely related to the small metallic plate, but also to the electric field distribution that causes the X-ray emissions: The electrons move from the bell to the inner tungsten filament, and produce x-rays, so we only get them between the bell and the internal filament. The metallic plate only blocks/attenuates a small ammount of rays that are oriented to the bottom of the tube. Most of them however are emitted perpendicular on the filament direction. X-RAY emission is therefore distributed like this:
1295435122 1938 FT106277 Field2
The blue arrows are the electron paths, and the greens are the photons emitted. The internal filament represented in red is connected to HV+ and the external bell is connected to HV-.

Test 3: Another approach to 360° (X/Y) field distribution verification
A simpler test was performed, by surrounding the 2X2 with a tube made out of fluorescent material. Some extra attention was payed to keeping the 2X2 as close a possible to the center of the outer tube:
38 48
20 07 31
Segmentation on the fluorescent screen images:
20 T150 07 T150 31
A very nice cylindrical,uniform emission field! The projected band appears to be quite narrow, related to the size of the vertical tungsten filament inside the tube. The picture to the right was added to observe the position of the tube elements as compared to the fluorescence projected on the intensifier screen.

This nice emission field can be used to project good quality radiographs, using this very cheap vacuum tube - the 2X2 .
The only concern is that the emission is radial (cylindrical shape with the center in the tungsten filament) but with some geometry knowledge unaltered, flat projections, can be obtained.
Proud Mary
Wed Jan 19 2011, 11:24AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
X-ray production efficiency is roughly kV x Z x 10E-6, where Z is the Atomic Number - 74 in the case of W.

For an anode voltage less than 69.5 kV, there can be no K-characteristic radiation from a tungsten target, as the incident electron energy must exceed the K-shell binding energy for emission to occur.

1295434567 543 FT106277 Tungsten Spectrum

This paper contains some very interesting observations on W target emission:

Soole BW The Attenuation of X-Radiation Generated at Constant Potentials Sufficient to Excite K-Radiation in a Tungsten Target Phys. Med. Biol., 1971, Vol. 16, No. 3, 427-437

Link2

But let's not jump to conclusions that the emission comes from W! smile Certainly the heater filaments will be either W, or a W/Mo alloy, but there are other metals besides in the construction of the valve.

Edit: You were posting yours above, while I was writing this.

You have made a very good job of this Radhu. Excellent!
radhoo
Wed Jan 19 2011, 11:39AM
07.Magnetic field influence
Note: A 2X2 Tube in inverse polarization at 50KV. A very strong Neodymium magnet was placed outside the tube, right next to the bell:
I took three pictures:
1) with the north pole of the magnet set towards the tube
2) without magnet
3) with the south pole of the magnet oriented towards the tube
The results:
16 30 03
Now the threshold (L=150):
16 30 03
In this setup, the magnet produces no visible influence on the emission field.

I am quite pleased of this method of highlighting the results by using image processing on the fluorescent screen shots. It shows a great potential of observing the x-ray phenomenon in more detail. Segmentation can be binary, as used up until now in my reports, but it can use several threshold levels and multiple colors to indicate various radiation levels. The following example shows two segmentation levels of 180 , corresponding to very intense radiation, and 140, corresponding to a decrease in radiation level:
30 21p
An entire scale of intensities can be built this way with a corresponding color map legend.
Proud Mary
Wed Jan 19 2011, 11:52AM
I feel you should try the magnet experiment again, with the magnets lower down so the magnetic field bisects the open end of the anode bell and the electrode connection leads, where electron field emission is likely to be occurring.

There will be almost no electrons available for interaction with the magnetic field as you show it in the set-up in the picture. The anode bell will shield any electrons flying around inside from the magnetic field.

radhoo
Wed Jan 19 2011, 12:00PM
I also need to see the angle at which the narrow emission band expands with distance. This one:
1295438434 1938 FT106277 Field3
To determine that I will use two fluorescent screen cylinders at a few cm apart.

LE: I will also write a little software to do the segmentation automatically and create a map of colors. If I knew the Fluorescent screen fluorescence coefficient (must be something related to the energy of incident x-ray photon and the amount of visible light emitted), I could link it to the light intensity and compute the x-ray energy of the color map areas.The fluorescence surface would indicate the counts. That would a neat x-ray dosimeter. Eg:
Dosi
Doing the same thing, but using several camera-captured frames, at a well known time interval, allows the time component to jump in the equation, so the Sv/h can be computed for a given color-map area.
Proud Mary
Wed Jan 19 2011, 12:13PM
Radhu, if you use the shadow of a metal washer, you can easily plot the beam divergence, by measuring the amount the washer's circular shadow expands with distance from the valve.

You can also assess the quality of the beam by means of a metal gauze or grill with square holes. Distortion of the squares imaged directly relates to field non-linearity.

radhoo
Wed Jan 19 2011, 12:15PM
Indeed, geometry offers endless possibilities to solving a problem.

Dosi
Proud Mary
Wed Jan 19 2011, 12:22PM
I added this to my post above whilst you were posting yours:

You can also assess the quality of the beam by means of a metal gauze or grill with square holes. Distortion of the imaged squares directly relates to field non-linearity.
radhoo
Thu Jan 20 2011, 11:13PM
Unfortunately I couldn't find such a metal piece with square holes. I'll see if I find something else. Some more interesting finds are to follow, meanwhile, here are some radiographs I took:

SDCard:
1295564810 1938 FT106277 1 1295564811 1938 FT106277 2

Mogo Bluetooth mouse ( it has a metallic side):
1295564936 1938 FT106277 1b 1295564936 1938 FT106277 2b

A piece of coral - blocks the rays completely!
1295565091 1938 FT106277 1c 1295565091 1938 FT106277 2c

The Kvarts DRSB-01 Dosimeter Link2

As can be seen in the pictures, the optimal position of the tube is at 45 degrees, with the anode towards the fluorescent screen. This way a maximum uniform illumination surface is obtained (see the nice big square green glow with uniform intensity - less shadows). More on this in the next post.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: