Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DIY High voltage probe

Move Thread LAN_403
Sat Dec 04 2010, 07:52AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
There is no reason that your probe should not work well when measuring a DC voltage, such as is present on a correctly functioning CW multiplier.

From this you can conclude that either your multiplier is not working properly (and it outputting a large AC component), or that you are getting some type of internal corona/sparking loss in your probe.

One experiment to try-connect a capacitor across the output of the CW (if you have access to doorknob caps a few in series would work well, if not you may need to resort to something like a glass parallel plate capacitor of a few nf) and charge it up with the CW. You can then be sure that the output is a pure DC, and your measurements will be correct.

Furthermore, while it is sketchy business connecting a 1Gohm resistor directly in series with a voltmeter, there is no reason that the impedance of your voltmeter should vary significantly from 1Mohm. Most digital voltmeters internally have a very high input impedance (into the Gohm range), and have a resistor in parallel with the output so that stray charge does not cause false readings--and to insure the meter has a constant known input impedance for applications such as this. If you want to be sure, measure the input impedance using your nice voltmeter, you should find it reads quite close to 1Mohm. The neon bulb across the input is a good idea, as is making sure that you have the other side of the bulb well grounded to something that is known to be ground--not simply the negative of a power supply/voltmeter.

Steve Conner
Sat Dec 04 2010, 03:31PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
+1, except that DMMs don't have a constant known input impedance. It's not unknown for it to vary with the range. If it does then it's usually extremely high (100M? 1G? Not sure) on the lowest DC voltage range and 11M Ohms on all the higher ones.

So, if your meter is autoranging while it's connected to the divider, the autoranging could go unstable. I would lock the meter to the 10V range and put a 1M resistor across it, to be sure.
Sulaiman
Sun Dec 05 2010, 10:30AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Although wirewound resistors do have inductance I doubt that it will be significant.
i.e. at what frequency will the inductive reactance be 1% of Rdc ?
(L=(r.n)squared/(9r+10h) etc.)
The 100 MOhm resistor in my p6015 is one long helix.
In low-voltage high-current circuits the inductance of wirewound resistors (or even wires) can be very significant.
For a large C-W/Greinacher I would use a moving coil meter with a couple of 1N4148 and a capacitor across it and a string of resistors.
For a small C-W the 50uA may be too much of a load.
Tap off one of the resistors a Gas Discharge Tube of the type used for telephone lines to a reliable 'earth'.
It's quite difficult to be completely safe at the end of a resistor string from eht. and dmms are very susceptible to emi/rfi.
Patrick
Mon Dec 06 2010, 08:41AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

Although wirewound resistors do have inductance I doubt that it will be significant.
i.e. at what frequency will the inductive reactance be 1% of Rdc ?
(L=(r.n)squared/(9r+10h) etc.)
The 100 MOhm resistor in my p6015 is one long helix.
In low-voltage high-current circuits the inductance of wirewound resistors (or even wires) can be very significant.
For a large C-W/Greinacher I would use a moving coil meter with a couple of 1N4148 and a capacitor across it and a string of resistors.
For a small C-W the 50uA may be too much of a load.
Tap off one of the resistors a Gas Discharge Tube of the type used for telephone lines to a reliable 'earth'.
It's quite difficult to be completely safe at the end of a resistor string from eht.
Agreed.

Sulaiman wrote ...

and dmms are very susceptible to emi/rfi.
yes, mine have gone entirely erratic due to rfi and emi, that which is not conductivly connected, ONLY RADIATED across near distances!!
Pinky's Brain
Mon Dec 06 2010, 10:45PM
Pinky's Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
Patrick wrote ...

yep, thats my plan.
How about using Nichrome wire? The precision of the resistors isn't very important, it's cheap and no need to worry about dielectric strength of the resistor housing.
Proud Mary
Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:03AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Pinky's Brain wrote ...

Patrick wrote ...

yep, thats my plan.
How about using Nichrome wire? The precision of the resistors isn't very important, it's cheap and no need to worry about dielectric strength of the resistor housing.

Gasp! cry

If you were to use 34 swg nichrome wire (0.24mm) which has a typical resistance of 24.7Ω/m, you would need 40.485km to make 1MΩ!

Pinky's Brain
Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:24AM
No, I meant for a RC series divider ... here the resistance values are small.
Patrick
Tue Dec 07 2010, 02:20AM
Pinky's Brain wrote ...

No, I meant for a RC series divider ... here the resistance values are small.
Pinky please elaborate, I think proud mary is right!?
Pinky's Brain
Tue Dec 07 2010, 03:06AM
Sorry, thought you read that ancient paper I linked.

They put resistors in a capacitive voltage divider to damp the oscillations from self inductance (it's for very high voltages where the voltage gradients along the divider have to be air compatible).

Similar to the Glassman divider, except they tuned it for low bandwidth and put a high resistance resistor across the pair for DC balancing.
Patrick
Tue Dec 07 2010, 04:00AM
i read that atricle but failed to realise what you meant, but i think the lenth of 50 + miles and TCo would be difficult to work around. but ill look at the math again.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: