Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Minibrute Construction Thread / FAQs

Move Thread LAN_403
KresoLiubov
Wed Jul 02 2008, 05:14AM
KresoLiubov Registered Member #1153 Joined: Mon Dec 03 2007, 07:27PM
Wirenut wrote ...

Thanks for doing this Kreso. I plan on eventually building another one, and this makes it a lot easier. I've been meaning to do this for a while, but this thread is really long. This list really sums up the key points in this thread.

No problem, we all need it. Feel free to correct it if see anything more & wrong
Ultra7
Wed Jul 02 2008, 12:25PM
Ultra7 Registered Member #1157 Joined: Thu Dec 06 2007, 12:11PM
I don't know if I was just out of it, or if The silkscreen was wrong, but the power led's on the display board for the +5 and +15 volt were completely backwards.
There was a little line on the silkscreen of the LED's that I thought was supposed to line up with the flat side of the actual LED on the display board.
This was causing my +5 volt regulator to overheat and my power lights weren't coming on.

On a whim I reversed the LED and my lights came on.

So I guess pay attention to what is going with the actual components on the board, as well as looking at the silkscreen.

I have an odd feeling that this might be why my current display board isn't lighting up as well. . .

We'll test this when I get home today, I want to have the coil up for 4'th of July.
Austin
Wed Jul 02 2008, 09:15PM
Austin Registered Member #1169 Joined: Wed Dec 12 2007, 09:16AM
Ultra7 wrote ...

I don't know if I was just out of it, or if The silkscreen was wrong, but the power led's on the display board for the +5 and +15 volt were completely backwards.
There was a little line on the silkscreen of the LED's that I thought was supposed to line up with the flat side of the actual LED on the display board.
This was causing my +5 volt regulator to overheat and my power lights weren't coming on.

On a whim I reversed the LED and my lights came on.

So I guess pay attention to what is going with the actual components on the board, as well as looking at the silkscreen.

I have an odd feeling that this might be why my current display board isn't lighting up as well. . .

We'll test this when I get home today, I want to have the coil up for 4'th of July.

I did the exact same thing... I don't remember if it was the silkscreen that was backwards or if it was just me =P
Rollingblackout
Thu Jul 03 2008, 05:50AM
Rollingblackout Registered Member #1524 Joined: Sun Jun 08 2008, 05:25PM
I followed the square solder point, as the anode. I haven't tested the board yet but I'll bet mine is wrong too. I just assumed the square was the anode.

on the solder side:
5v--a,k
15v-a,k
HV-k,a
OC-k,a
R---a,k

HV Enthusiast
Fri Jul 04 2008, 04:06AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
The silkscreen on the board explicitly states in bold white lettering, "NOTE: SQUARE PAD IS LED ANODE"

There should not be any confusion.

The silkscreen LED was a default silkscreen. I've seen LEDs with notches on either side of the diode indicating cathode, so i wouldn't rely on that.
Hence the reason i added the note.

Plus if you see the + side of C42 connected to the square pad of the LEDs, then obviously the square must be the anode.

Fri Jul 04 2008, 05:21AM
Registered Member #1482 Joined:
I have gotten to the point where I need to check the phasing of the GDT and the waveforms from Gate to Emitter on the IGBT's. The instructions say to connect the Advanced Modulator but I haven't received it in the mail yet. Can I apply 5v to the External Modulator and check the phasing and waveforms on the IGBT's at 100% duty cycle.

Or would that short out the secondaries for too long on the GDT and mess things up?
Ultra7
Fri Jul 04 2008, 01:30PM
Ultra7 Registered Member #1157 Joined: Thu Dec 06 2007, 12:11PM
Dr. Shock wrote ...

The silkscreen on the board explicitly states in bold white lettering, "NOTE: SQUARE PAD IS LED ANODE"

The silkscreen LED was a default silkscreen. I've seen LEDs with notches on either side of the diode indicating cathode, so i wouldn't rely on that.

Plus if you see the + side of C42 connected to the square pad of the LEDs, then obviously the square must be the anode.

Soft, Dan, no one blamed you for anything. . .
In fact, I clearly stated that "I was out of it." and that I should have paid attention.
No need to get jumpy,

Clearly at least 2 of us made the mistake, so I figured I'd post it, just to make sure everyone else doesn't have to un-solder their display boards.
Not all of us are super I.Q. masters that can look at a capacitor on a board from 4 feet away and instantly know that the silkscreen might be wrong. tongue

I was just trying to get the thing built.
KresoLiubov
Fri Jul 04 2008, 04:52PM
KresoLiubov Registered Member #1153 Joined: Mon Dec 03 2007, 07:27PM
Ultra7 wrote ...

[/quote1215177779]

In fact, I clearly stated that "I was out of it." and that I should have paid attention.
No need to get jumpy,

Clearly at least 2 of us made the mistake, so I figured I'd post it, just to make sure everyone else doesn't have to un-solder their display boards.
Not all of us are super I.Q. masters that can look at a capacitor on a board from 4 feet away and instantly know that the silkscreen might be wrong. tongue

Be sure to find anything that you could find to be in error or just need more attention. It will help many people here im sure. Here is updated list:

Collection of errors found within
parts list, schematics and book.

1. C101 decoupling capacitor

This capacitor is not located on bridge board, however oprating
without it will blow the IGBT-s. You will need to add it "manually"

2. c32 exists in schematics but not on the board. Its needed to solder this
capacitor on board

3. Note: put the current transformers on the output of the H-bridge,
not between the MMC. This is not an error, just a reminder

4. c32 not on board. Add manually

5. r28 needs to be OPEN - reminder

6. C81 should be soldered directly on the temperature sensor

7. Unamrked capacitor in top left of board. By EVR:

Yes, this was kind of an optional capacitor. Just as an energy storage reservoir.
Not really needed, but if you put it in there, its not going to hurt anything.
Just helps supply energy to any bypass caps during switching. these capacitors
are typically rated at least 10x the combined bypass capacitance on the board.

8.Swithces on advanced modulator DPDT instead of DPST

9. When setting the current meter, you need to disconnect one lead of the 1.6 ohm resistor and the current transformer.
This is an error in the instructions.

10. The square pad on display boards is led anode. Be careful and dont trust the notch on your LED.
Its not board error but simply error that coem constructers made, and helped others not to repeat it :)

HV Enthusiast
Sat Jul 05 2008, 03:05AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Ultra7 wrote ...

Dr. Shock wrote ...

No need to get jumpy,

No one is getting jumpy here. I'm merely stating a given fact.
Rollingblackout
Mon Jul 07 2008, 02:52AM
Rollingblackout Registered Member #1524 Joined: Sun Jun 08 2008, 05:25PM
Hello, well i'm testing my control and display. Im stuck on the HV charging indicator. I'm applying 15vdc to pins 1 and 2 of the tlp372 photocoupler 1 is +, I have a solid ground on the 4 pin but the device isn't activating and applying a - to pin 5.

FIrst I assumed I had the led installed incorrectly but I have since removed it and I'm just testing for voltage.

I have also replaced the tlp372 Photocoupler and installed a new one.

Anyone able to point out some obvious mistake I may have made?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: