Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Novel flying machines

Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Tue Jul 15 2014, 01:05AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
ok so for a first start, lets agree to a modded heli blade. With a twist, long length, short chord.
Ash, do you have access to and knowledge of the CAD, and its ways?

what diamerter should we start with, ill need to start thinking about fabrication.

EDIT: on multirotor props they do taper the tip greatly, i wonder if that increases disc loading.
link:
Link2

im thinking of a 0010 or 0012 airfoil.

Link2

Ash Small
Tue Jul 15 2014, 09:36AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I think we should be aiming for a more conventional helicopter blade. These are designed for a lower disc loading than the props you are currently using, which are much closer to airplane props, which are designed for high disc loading.

Helicopter props are designed for low disc loading and low drag, which, unsurprisingly, is exactly what we want.

I'd go for the thinnest section that has sufficient strength. Something like a NACA 0010 sounds like it's 'in the ballpark'. I did link to some typical heli blade cross sections above somewhere.

Are you using a foam core and carbon for the ducts that you are currently using?

A thinner section with thinner width will have lower drag, so you can spin it faster. slower props with greater pitch may run into stall problems, I think.

EDIT: Just remembered that carbon only has tensile strength, no compressive strength. The lower surface of the blade will be in tension, the upper surface will be in compression. A bit of thought will be required here. wink

EDIT EDIT: Actually, I've just been googling, and apparently it is strong in both tension and compression, but weak in 'bending'. I need to read a bit more. I am aware that it does have limitations, though.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: There seems to be a lot of contradictory opinion on google.

"Carbon fiber is very strong when stretched or bent, but weak when compressed or exposed to high shock (e.g. a carbon fiber bar is extremely difficult to bend, but will crack easily if hit with a hammer)." Apparently from Wikipedia Link2

There does seem to be some concensus that it is twice as strong in tension than in compression, though, which is pretty much what I thought in the first place.
BigBad
Tue Jul 15 2014, 06:29PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
Actually for a heli blade i would have thought that along most of its length it's more or less only in tension, due to the centripetal forces.
Dr. Slack
Tue Jul 15 2014, 06:35PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
for making measurements, why not just buy a heli blade?

The root hinges on a heli blade seem to suggest that it's not designed to need to take any bending moment at all, but operates in centripetal tension
Patrick
Tue Jul 15 2014, 08:53PM
yes compression and striking are poor conditions for CF to survive. (a problem for the US F-22 when a 20mm russian API explosive round comes in versus titanium for example.)

to mitigate this, and improve safety, i could use balsa or PU foam core, then 5.7 osy CF, with 4 oz S2 FG. torsional straength still worries me though. (fiber glass, especially S2, is very survivable, even though its the bastard child of CF, which is high tech and glamorous.)

i was thinking of a slightly wider chord and steeper pitch in the root, then a flat-bottom narrow chord, low pitch at teh tip end.

EDIT: i just wish there was a simple freeware program or app that would given and aproximation for NACA profiles.
heres the ugly math, but its looks well expalianed : Link2
Ash Small
Wed Jul 16 2014, 02:13PM
Well, yes, there are obviously centripetal forces wink

I was just pointing out the (possibly) less obvious forces. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction (Newton's third law), so there is an upward force acting on the blade that is equal to the downward force acting on the accelerated air. which is equal to the mass of the craft while hovering, and is greater when ascending. This force is obviously divided by the number of blades.

This results in a 'bending moment'(?) acting on the prop that puts the underside in tension and the topside in compression, which needs to be taken into consideration when designing the prop. I assume Patrick is somewhat familiar with the directional properties of carbon, and how to best lay up carbon to achieve the required directional strength. (for example, carbon masts on yachts tend to use unidirectional carbon and utilise a 'vertical' cylinder, with unidirectional carbon running in alternating spirals around this, to deal with the bending and compressive forces acting on the mast. Various other 'weaves' are available, including diagonal and crowsfoot, to name two, depending on the various forces to which the part is subjected. As Patrick points out, a 'composite' including 'S' glass, and maybe even kevlar may be appropiate in some cases. The centripetal forces can be dealt with using longitudinal unidirectional carbon, but the other forces, bending vertically due to 'lift' and bending 'backwards' due to drag 'may' require a bit more thought.

Patrick wrote ...

i was thinking of a slightly wider chord and steeper pitch in the root, then a flat-bottom narrow chord, low pitch at teh tip end.

Sounds reasonable, but I wouldn't use as much pitch near the root as the maths suggests is required, for the previously mentioned reasons of stall and drag. A wider chord at the root would add strength here, where it is most needed, but there isn't a lot of lift generated at the root anyway.

EDIT: Balsa way well prove easier to work with than foam core in this application
Patrick
Wed Jul 16 2014, 06:29PM
im thinking of a planform, but i dont know if the flight forces will twist from my low drag - low pitch tip to being higher pitch in rotation. I dont think any of us have a strobe light and high speed camera ?
Ash Small
Wed Jul 16 2014, 08:19PM
Patrick wrote ...

im thinking of a planform, but i dont know if the flight forces will twist from my low drag - low pitch tip to being higher pitch in rotation. I dont think any of us have a strobe light and high speed camera ?

If we can calculate the forces involved, surely we can apply this force to the blade and see how much it twists, or even calculate how much it will twist?

This stuff is pretty basic mechanics (forces on a beam, etc. The first subject covered in most mechanics syllabi) wink

EDIT: We should factor in a safety margin of three, anyway.
Patrick
Wed Jul 16 2014, 09:57PM
as long as you can help me through it, my integral and differential calculus is always questionalble, and in this link : Link2 if we have all the pieces we can start on some functions to apply over surfaces and lengths.

i need force diagrams, of the airfoil section, which show the forces, as i vary the length from tip to root.
Ash Small
Thu Jul 17 2014, 01:09PM
I'm still reading through your link, but if you look at the sections of heli blade I posted on the previous page, they are symmetrical, without the airofoil shape and rely on the pitch of the prop to accelerate the column of air downwards, much the same as ailerons on the trailing edge of a wing.

It is this pitch angle that varies from root to tip on a prop, to give the air the same velocity from root to tip even though the velocity of the prop varies from root to tip.

You are probably aware of this, but it's not clear from your comments.

While an aerofoil section may have advantages, the thickness of the section (naca profile) would need to taper from root to tip in order to maintain the same lift from root to tip, which I don't think would be practical as it would adversely affect drag.

The props you have are concave on the lower surface and convex on the upper surface so they do resemble a naca profile more than a conventional heli pfofile.

I think we need to consider which shape has the least drag, as we need to reduce drag as much as possible in order to optimise the advantages of low disc loading.

I'd assume that the conventional helicopter blade probably has the greatest strength and least drag, compared to the 'conventional' prop design that is optimised for much higher disc loading.

I think we should be aiming to copy a conventional helicopter blade section rather than going for a naca profile as it will increase strength and therefore reduce drag, by enabling the use of a thinner section, I think.

We do need to minimize drag in order to maximize the advantages of low disc loading.

I'll continue reading the link later.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: