Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Vacuum Rectifiers X-rays report

Move Thread LAN_403
uzzors2k
Tue May 17 2011, 07:13PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
I'm a bit late to the party, but this past weekend I was finally able to do some 2X2A experiments of my own. Several years ago (2007) I purchased some American 2X2A tubes for this exact purpose, but seeing Leslie's page on flash x-rays convinced me to try that instead. One weak Marx generator and no x-ray images later I shelfed the project, until seeing Radu's thread here.

1305659203 95 FT106277 Img 0137

Some quick tests showed that a surprising amount of x-rays were generated, and even with great shielding (~3cm of transformer steel) enough was scattered to register on my Geiger counter at three meters distance. Our bathroom is lined with ceramic tile and on the ground floor, so it seemed an ideal place to run the experiments from here on. Since I still live my parents tongue I needed to make the setup quick to deploy, otherwise I'd never get it setup while they were away. This involved fitting an ammeter, high voltage source, tube mount and shield in the same location. The high voltage source was constructed specifically for this purpose, and consists of two rectified flyback transformers in series driven by a current-mode controller. Voltage can be set from 0-50kV. The transformers are sealed in a PP pipe filled with motor oil. To keep myself safer, I've constructed a fiber optic timer unit and relay, so the exposures can be controlled from a distance. The 2X2A itself is also sealed in oil and wrapped in tin foil to suppress inadvertent lighting of the screen. This also serves to protect the tube itself from arc-overs.

1305659203 95 FT106277 Img 1925

Some tests with the tube showed that unlike the Russian model, the American produces the most x-rays while driven in regular polarity, with the anode at HV. Turning my high voltage supply to max, the voltage across the tube was measured to be 42kV, at 210µA. I took some images of the internal structure to see if any points of localized heating showed up, but nothing stuck out. Due to my camera's built in timer limitations I was only able to run the tube for a few seconds before the picture was taken.

1305659203 95 FT106277 Img 0154 1305659203 95 FT106277 Img 0164

Like Radu discovered however, the American model is far inferior to the Russian in terms of radiation output. I was barely able to x-ray an IC, even with 30s exposure time and digital enhancement. Still, it did work, which is pretty neat considering the basic components used.

1305659203 95 FT106277 Img 0180 1305659203 95 FT106277 Img 0198 1305659203 95 FT106277 Img 0189
Patrick
Tue May 17 2011, 09:58PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Uzzors wrote ...

.... the American model is far inferior to the Russian in terms of radiation output....
Not to put my huevos out, but when you say the American version is inferior to the Russian one, what do you mean?

When used as intended is lower radiation more desirable? You all use these device for an off-label purpose so I have no doubt the Russian one is better for more X-rays, but most makers probably try to avoid excessive radiation?

Putin cant start car.... tongue
uzzors2k
Wed May 18 2011, 07:55AM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Haha, I had a feeling some patriot would feel his feathers ruffled from line. To clarify, which I can do using just the segment you've quoted: the American model produces less radiation than the Russian model, which in this application is undesirable, and thus inferior. On the contrary, the American model is superior in terms of tube characteristics (I assume), shock tolerance and aesthetics, but that's of no concern to me in this project.

You've labeled me as a commie now haven't you. cheesey
Patrick
Wed May 18 2011, 02:37PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Uzzors wrote ...

Haha, I had a feeling some patriot would feel his feathers ruffled from line. To clarify, which I can do using just the segment you've quoted: the American model produces less radiation than the Russian model, which in this application is undesirable, and thus inferior. On the contrary, the American model is superior in terms of tube characteristics (I assume), shock tolerance and aesthetics, but that's of no concern to me in this project.
I was being Facetiuos with the "huevos"commemt, but thats what I thought your were meaning, about the American version.

Uzzors wrote ...

You've labeled me as a commie now haven't you. cheesey
Not yet. shades
radhoo
Tue May 31 2011, 03:48PM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
Hi Eirik,

It's great that you're using your DSLR for these photos, it brings some serious enhancement to captured images quality, I only wish you did more of those. Are you planning to try your setup with other vacuum tubes as well?

Nah
Tue May 31 2011, 07:29PM
Nah Registered Member #3567 Joined: Mon Jan 03 2011, 10:49PM
I would suggest some of the early diodes in tvs, i'm talking from the 30's.
radhoo
Thu May 16 2013, 12:16PM
Russian GP-5 vs Russian 2x2
I remember Linas mentioning the GP-5 tube. Indeed it looks like a good candidate for the purpose of this topic, given its size and solid construction:
52 29

It does produce x-rays when energized at 50KV in reverse polarity, but nothing compared to the 2X2. Here are some images:

GP-5 in normal polarization (+50KV to anode)
38 11
C C
The first two pictures are original, as recorded by the camera.
The third picture was enhanced in software with a Gamma Correction factor of 3 (increased exposure/luminosity)
The forth shows the same setup, but having a Kodak intensifier paper cylinder wrapped around the tube. Software enhancement, with the same gamma factor of 3. No green fluorescence can be observed.
Exposure settings are: 2nd picture: 10s/F5.6/ISO 500 and for the 4th picture: 13s/F5.6/ISO 800

GP-5 in inverse polarization (+50KV to the cathode)
56 56c
2nd picture is a gamma corrected variant of the first, factor of 3. 1st picture settings: 13s/F5.6/ISO 800

Here is the tube with the Kodak intensifier screen:
01 01c
2nd picture is a gamma corrected variant of the first, factor of 3. 1st picture settings: 15s/F5.3/ISO 640
Some green fluorescence is visible.

And here is the 2X2 tube, place instead of the GP-5, in the same exact setup:
53 53c
2nd picture is a gamma corrected variant of the first, factor of 3. 1st picture settings: 15s/F5.3/ISO 640
Increased amounts of radiation are being produced.

Conclusion: at 50KV, the GP-5 produces some x-ray emissions, but nothing compared to the 2X2.

2X2 energized at 50KV in reverse polarity
See the impact zones on the heat shield and glass.

48 30
Proud Mary
Thu May 16 2013, 01:07PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Interesting experiments, Radhu, but the results are no surprise.

Let us think about the basic differences between 2X2 and GP-5.

2X2 was designed as a high voltage rectifier diode during the Second World War. It was designed to rectify RMS max 5.5 kV, and 12.5 kV PIV. This means that when operated within its design range, the soft X-rays produced by electron bombardment would be completely stopped by the glass envelope, so no X-ray shielding was included in the design.

By contrast, the Svetlana GP-5 was designed as an EHT shunt stabiliser triode for colour television service. Its maximum anode working voltage was 30 kV, so effective X-ray shielding has been built into the design, as we see clearly in your pictures. The envelope glass very probably contains lead or other heavy elements to attenuate radiation leaking round the shield. As colour TV broadcasting did not start in the former Soviet Union until 1967, I would judge this valve to have been designed after the significant X-ray hazard of earlier American EHT stabiliser triodes like 6BK4 (1955) was well known. So your experiments have proved the superiority of Soviet engineering! :)

Stella
radhoo
Thu May 16 2013, 01:19PM
Thanks for the adding these details. Indeed the GP-5 seems to come with lead glass, as the tubes feel so heavy.
Proud Mary
Thu May 16 2013, 08:10PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
radhoo wrote ...

Thanks for the adding these details. Indeed the GP-5 seems to come with lead glass, as the tubes feel so heavy.

I have sometimes wondered - and I am sure you will have thought of this too - how much the application of an external magnetic field might be able to increase the output energy by a partial 'cyclotron effect.' Even if it added only a short extra distance to the electron path, it might increase the output energy considerably.
Success is most likely to come by choosing a high voltage valve with the most favourable electrode architecture, one where at least part of the electron path would not be shielded from the magnetic field by, for example, the anode.

What do you think?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: