All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Cheep 1W 445nm laser diodes!

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Adam Munich
Wed Jun 16 2010, 12:27AM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Killa-X wrote ...

Well, TEM00 is best for long distance pointing / beam. Else the distance you can see the beam at night is going to be short. Personal preferences. Where you get the 250mW green? O-Like? Rayfoss? My 200mW came from rayfoss :D

I'm surprised you bought from rayfoss. They're lasers put out nearly half their power as IR. My laser starts at 350mw, then settles to 270mw over 3 minutes (green, not ir). It puts out alot of ir too. though.

I paid $570 8 months ago, and considering it survived multiple 10ft drops onto asphalt, i think i got my money's worth. ;)
Killa-X
Wed Jun 16 2010, 12:34AM
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
Actually I tested mine to be 208mW :P Many others have found them to be at spec...I havnt had issues with them :) She even offered me a 600mw module for $300 to pretune my self, and they sell the full thing for $625. The module is everything but a battery and metal host. It has the lens, the driver, the 2W IR-pump, Good deal :D
Adam Munich
Wed Jun 16 2010, 12:35AM
wow. i've had bad luck with rayfoss in the past. i'll have to take them off my avoid list.
Conundrum
Wed Jun 16 2010, 07:25PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
just be careful guys, these things go from 5-10 mW to >250mW with as little as a 0.5mA power increase.
Its also possible that at sub threshold power levels they can be unstable and "burst" into dangerous laser output with no warning at all.

seems to be a known issue with blue diodes, as well as some newer high power reds.
Be careful! you don't get another set of eyeballs...

-A
#include "yes_LEDs_can_burn_retinas_too.h"
IntraWinding
Wed Jun 16 2010, 07:54PM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
Conundrum wrote ...

just be careful guys, these things go from 5-10 mW to >250mW with as little as a 0.5mA power increase.
Its also possible that at sub threshold power levels they can be unstable and "burst" into dangerous laser output with no warning at all.

Thanks - that's a useful warning shades
Killa-X
Wed Jun 16 2010, 09:41PM
Its true. the threshold as stated is 200-300mA. Any lower and the laser is like 5-10mw. and as I slowly crank the diode, it hits the special number of my diode, and BAM! bright light. Then as I go up the brightness dramatically increases. Theres a ton of talk about these lasers. WL lends them to chance of cancer..Which isnt true.

These lasers are 345nm, and cancer can be given of UVB and UVC rays...UVA is top at 300nm...The raeson they link it to cancer probably is Blue light hazard. Dropping melatonin. But its still...Not really a risk.

These lasers do cut electrical tape like butter (VERY fast) at 500mA. I hit my figure during the cut as a test, yeah, pain :P

Also...I seen someone at photonlexicon claiming they are running a RGB projector, using these diodes at "1300mA" geehs.
Link2
Scroll down to the picture of the blue room, they mention these sleep disorders caused by blue LEDS, and possible cancer due to melatonin over long periods of times
Adam Munich
Wed Jun 16 2010, 11:40PM
445nm killa.
Thu Jun 17 2010, 02:30AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
They are run at 1.44A in the projector at a 30% duty cycle, I have on doing a burnin test at said 1.44A and so far after a day of burning I haven't been able to detect a drop in power (so it is within 0.5% of what it was this morning). Power output is about 2w depending on if you consider losses from the focusing lenses. amazed
Killa-X
Thu Jun 17 2010, 03:25AM
Grenadier wrote ...

445nm killa.

Typo :P

But 1.44mA at 100% duty? Must be using a TEC to run it at a stable temp. Surprise, if you are doing CW how much these can handle. It still makes you ask, Whats the max you can do on these? They really not cheap enough to just blow them off like the $7 20X red DVD burning sleds...
Thu Jun 17 2010, 06:31AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I am using a tec to keep the measurements consistent, but in the projector the diodes are cooled with a simple fan and run in the 40-60C range (I never tried letting it heat to the point where it shut down, but in normal operation the diodes are run quite toasty!)

I am trying to avoid running one to destruction, but my driver goes to 3A so expect some measurements taken up to that point before too long. I think my current plan is to do 24hr runs at 200mA increments (starting with a 1.4a run tomorrow) until the diode starts to show signs of distress.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: