Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

uDR/SSTC design - updated with full bridge testing and current monitoring..

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Nicko
Thu Jun 25 2009, 09:54PM
Nicko Registered Member #1334 Joined: Tue Feb 19 2008, 04:37PM
Z28Fistergod wrote ...

I agree with less is more most of the time. What drove you to bother with the dead time in the first place?
I intend to use this board for other sorts of drive as well as GDTs - I want to completely eliminate the possibility of shoot through...
Terry Fritz
Fri Jun 26 2009, 10:43PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
I like it!!

Dead time circuits always slowed everything down so we avoided them like the plague. But now with Finn's Predikter, dead time is far far more friendly!! Shoot through is very bad and I give it 1mS in a far different application cheesey

We really need to take a whole new look at gate drive timing now!

Terry
Z28Fistergod
Sat Jun 27 2009, 01:18AM
Z28Fistergod Registered Member #2040 Joined: Fri Mar 20 2009, 10:13PM
I was thinking about your circuit again and the dead time has the potential to be non uniform. Theoretically if the charging resistor was very small and the discharge resistor very large, you could end up with almost a 50% duty cycle out of the non inverting driver, and much less out of the inverting driver. Of course you can adjust this so the duty cycles are uniform with pots. If I were using the circuit I would use a comparator with the threshold set at 1/2 VCC, and a single pot and capacitor. That way the duty cycle of each driver is always equal. My 2 cents.
Nicko
Sat Jun 27 2009, 06:44AM
Z28Fistergod wrote ...

Theoretically if the charging resistor was very small and the discharge resistor very large, you could end up with almost a 50% duty cycle out of the non inverting driver, and much less out of the inverting driver. Of course you can adjust this so the duty cycles are uniform with pots.
Any circuit has the potential to be broken by bad component choice - If you look at the two resistor values I use, you will see that they are asymmetric - the reason for this is explained above - the values chosen result in a perfectly symmetrical output.
Z28Fistergod
Sat Jun 27 2009, 11:54AM
Z28Fistergod Registered Member #2040 Joined: Fri Mar 20 2009, 10:13PM
Sure most circuits won't work right without the correct component values. The difference is that you have two variables to produce one adjustment. It could be a pain to watch the scope and try to detect a 1% difference in the duty cycle between the two drivers.
Nicko
Mon Jul 06 2009, 08:29AM
Updated to include cleaner description & photo of prototype driver board...
Herr Zapp
Tue Jul 07 2009, 07:16AM
Herr Zapp Registered Member #480 Joined: Thu Jul 06 2006, 07:08PM
Nicko -

Interesting approach to the dead-time issue ........ have you fired up this driver & bridge combination yet, powering either a dummy load or a real TC?

Not sure I understand your last post ...... is there more information available somewhere (complete driver & bridge schematics, driver board photos, scope shots showing delay timing, etc)?

Regards,
Herr Zapp
Nicko
Tue Jul 07 2009, 10:15AM
Herr Zapp wrote ...

Interesting approach to the dead-time issue ........ have you fired up this driver & bridge combination yet, powering either a dummy load or a real TC?

Not sure I understand your last post ...... is there more information available somewhere (complete driver & bridge schematics, driver board photos, scope shots showing delay timing, etc)?

I've tested the bridge on a dummy load with a frigged set of drivers, but the real controller board is still being made - its all very small SMD - the total size of the controller is 53mm x 68mm approx - double sided with a few components on the bottom. I don't know why, but I'm drawn to "small & neat" not "big & scary"...

I'll happily put up the schematics when the board is built, probably in two weeks time as I'm buried at work and the board house takes 10 days to do fine-pitched boards. There will undoubtedly be errors which I'd like to fix. I have no time yet to update my web site with this but will do as time permits. I'm driven mainly by the autumn UK Cambridge Teslathon which last year had quite a dramatic conclusion amazed

I have all the simulation stuff in LTspice which looks good - If you want I'll post that - of course, practical realisation is another world, so "first light" may make the whole thing catch fire....

I updated the original post in this thread with a photo of one of the bridge options - the FET FB - not rocket science - I also changed the name of the thread - I've added the schematic to the top post.

Should I start a new project thread or just keep updating this one? Should I update "in-line" or the first post?

Cheers
Nicko
Tue Jul 07 2009, 10:35AM
Herr Zapp wrote ...

... scope shots showing delay timing, etc...?
Here's the LTspice simulation output showing the current through the GDT primary:

1246962773 1334 FT72000 Dead Time Ltspice Simulation

With the component values selected in the schematic clip in the top post, you get an approx 80nS shoulder on each crossing.
I will post proper scope shots as soon as I get them...
Nicko
Tue Jul 14 2009, 09:04PM
New boards finally arrived today. Hopefully start assembly this weekend (under the microscope...). On a course all week, so I'm going to have to wait... It's small, very small...

uDR/SSTC Controller board
This is a daughter board for the full bridge board below. When roatated by 90 degrees, it sits across the bridge board about 3cm up.

1247604844 1334 FT72000 P1010562a

1247605410 1334 FT72000 P1010561a

uDR/SSTC Full bridge board (IGBT or FET)
This can be seen assembled in the first post of this thread.

1247604844 1334 FT72000 P1010559a
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: