Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

GMI-90 Project ideas

Move Thread LAN_403
Littlew
Fri Apr 10 2009, 03:13PM
Littlew Registered Member #1448 Joined: Sat Apr 19 2008, 01:16PM
put gu-5b's anode down(this information was taken from tube's datasheet)
Mathias
Sun Apr 12 2009, 09:59AM
Mathias Registered Member #1381 Joined: Fri Mar 07 2008, 05:24PM
Well i also found one lying around. So i'll do someting with it in the near future. A bipolar DRVTTC would be neat

1239530368 1381 FT67045 Pict0085
Proud Mary
Sun Apr 12 2009, 11:15AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
I make things with valves all the time, and I would hesitate to take on a project requiring such a large and expensive power supply, though your own circumstances may be very different.

Big HT transformers have never been cheap, but now their prices have gone through the roof.

You can't make energy out of nothing, so unless you are confidant that you can afford not just a heavy-weight PSU, but all the supporting circuit architecture and metalwork that such a valve requires to function properly, you'd have less heartbreak trying something else.

Imagine such a valve in its original context, and I see in my mind's eye the kind of equipment housing that has double steel doors on the front, with fat cables to supply it with power and instructions.

At the risk of sounding negative, with valves of this size I'd suggest that if you have to ask it means you're not really ready to think seriously about using them. That is why very large valves may be bought so cheaply.

But Good Luck with it all! At worst you have a splendid paperweight! smile

kilovolt
Sun Apr 12 2009, 12:07PM
kilovolt Registered Member #2018 Joined: Tue Mar 10 2009, 09:56AM
I'm not sure but I think at 30kV anode voltage this tube might produce significant x-rays ...

Greets kilovolt

Mathias
Sun Apr 12 2009, 12:07PM
Mathias Registered Member #1381 Joined: Fri Mar 07 2008, 05:24PM
Thanks for caring and giving advise. Also, Yes i'm fully aware of what will be required for a project of this caliber and the tasks ahead.

Basicaly what i'm thinking, is to build some "huge" tesla system(s) for the "Palace of Wonders" that will open sometime next year. So relative cost and a place to power and operate such device(s) wont be a problem. So for now sky is the limit. But then again maybe you'r right and it won't make up for the time and effort invested in it. Right now it seems to be a good idea that's in planning phase.
Proud Mary
Sun Apr 12 2009, 01:09PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
As a Living Fossil of the Thermionic Age, I'd guess that circuits using this valve would have been put together by a design team of six or twelve men working on it for half a year before a prototype was constructed and costed out.

It's true that today you can simulate circuit operations with PSpice and the like, and save countless hours with a slide-rule where the value of every component had to be individually calculated, but you won't achieve stable and reliable operation with a device of this kind without great attention to engineering detail, and several prototype iterations before the design is declared to be trustworthy and fit for purpose.

It's a bit like asking how you could you fit a 1950s jet fighter engine to your car by next summer.... smile

I think that using valves is a great idea - I always encourage anyone on the forum who wants to keep the old technology alive, since it still has much to offer for special applications - but if you aren't well schooled in valve circuit design, I'd look for an easier route into thermionic technology than a valve of this type.

Others will surely disagree, but there's my six-penny-worth, and I wish you well. smile

PS. X-ray screening should always be used with valves operating above 20kV.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: