All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

longitudinal excitation nitrogen laser

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
tobias
Fri Oct 21 2011, 01:00AM
tobias Registered Member #1956 Joined: Wed Feb 04 2009, 01:22PM
cedric

I read your problem about running a 3P motor off 1P grid. How much money do you have to invest? A 1P to 3P inverter would do it... Link2
cedric
Fri Oct 21 2011, 01:33AM
cedric Registered Member #2941 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 08:08AM
tobias wrote ...

cedric

I read your problem about running a 3P motor off 1P grid. How much money do you have to invest? A 1P to 3P inverter would do it... Link2
it's one option ,I am trying to replace the engine once it for all , so I don't get trouble anymore...
cedric
Fri Oct 21 2011, 01:49AM
I get it to laze, with the fridge pump !!!

1319161770 2941 FT66720 Nitrogene Lasing
hboy007
Fri Oct 21 2011, 08:46AM
hboy007 Registered Member #1667 Joined: Sat Aug 30 2008, 09:57PM
That's really sweet, cedric! Congratulations on building one, if not *the* smallest LE N2 laser out there. Have you thought of adding a reservoir so that the fridge pump doesn't need to run all the time?
cedric
Fri Oct 21 2011, 12:40PM
hboy007 wrote ...

That's really sweet, cedric! Congratulations on building one, if not *the* smallest LE N2 laser out there. Have you thought of adding a reservoir so that the fridge pump doesn't need to run all the time?
I am not there yet,the lazing is very hieratic ,the beam is not so bright and the beam profile is not very nice ,but all together ,now that I know how to do it ,I am planing to build one bigger (10 cm tube with internal diameter of 6 mm),same capacitor ,and steadier construction, of course I will need better vacuum . I also think this type of setup is perfect for pulse multigas laser (given enough power and a resonator it's possible to laze about anything smile
The information you provide where very useful for the accomplishment of this project.

now for the details:
the tube size is 7 cm, inside diameter 2.5 mm, the capacitor are rated at 850 pf each (40 kv)the gap of the spark gap is about 1.2 cm with 6 mm round bolt.
the resonator is made of a piece of code bar scanner mirror and a non-identified round piece of glass, the adjustment is made by having a piece of rubber in between the glass and the front panel tighten by 3 bolt , I use a small laser led for the alignment, the interference pattern is a very good tips, once it there you know it work...
hboy007
Fri Oct 21 2011, 02:56PM
erratic lasing can sometimes be fixed by increasing the breakdown voltage of the spark gap which increases the pulse energy.
I would try a larger tube diameter if I had spherical dielectric mirrors. For a planar resonator setup, my personal choice is a narrow inner diameter because of the higher current density.

I always wanted to build a pressurized spark gap with a trigger electrode, perhaps you can get one to work ( given a suitable power source, of course).
cedric
Fri Oct 21 2011, 06:49PM
hboy007 wrote ...

erratic lasing can sometimes be fixed by increasing the breakdown voltage of the spark gap which increases the pulse energy.
I would try a larger tube diameter if I had spherical dielectric mirrors. For a planar resonator setup, my personal choice is a narrow inner diameter because of the higher current density.

I always wanted to build a pressurized spark gap with a trigger electrode, perhaps you can get one to work ( given a suitable power source, of course).
for the gap size I am on the edge since I get arc-over once a wile,in my next set up the center electrode will be rounded to increase the breakdown voltage.
what do you mean by spherical dielectric mirrors? I have one from a ssy yag laser witch could be perfect as an out put coupler (I think it is non-planar)
Pressurize triggered spark gap is not out of reach ,from what I know hydrogen is the best for high spm, and high gas purity is important...

one question is how much can we expect from commercial epoxy in term of leak and outgasing ?

hboy007
Fri Oct 21 2011, 08:46PM
for concenctric resonators using curved mirrors, I've found this page: Link2

I've seen standard epoxy being used as a "quick fix" sealant for UHV recipients. Time at the beamline is expensive and minor damages from the transport of the experimental setup cannot always be fixed in time.
However, the mixing ratio of the compounds is critical. I also like heating the epoxy a bit because its viscosity improves, it cures faster and the cured resin is stronger. I assume that a more intense curing process also uses up the compounds more thoroughly.

Just get your hair dryer ready next time you're using epoxy glue and heat to 50-60°C, allow the epoxy to get sucked into the gaps, then let it rest for a day.
radhoo
Fri Oct 21 2011, 10:41PM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
hboy007 , thank you for providing your experiment's details on your webpage, a good time to also learn a little german.

I am looking forward to replicate your experiment, and laser design. Would it be possible to replace the spark gap with a hydrogen thyratron? I successfully used such a thyratron in some of my recent experiments, see: Link2

Cedric, I have a few questions regarding your test as well.
cedric wrote ...

I get it to laze, with the fridge pump !!!
Can you elaborate on this part, and maybe provide more pictures, videos, details? How good is a fridge compressor for this purpose? I have one at hand, and it would be my first option in trying this kind of laser. Also can poor vacuum be compensated by higher voltages?

cedric wrote ...

I am not there yet,the lazing is very hieratic ,the beam is not so bright and the beam profile is not very nice ,but all together ,now that I know how to do it ,I am planing to build one bigger (10 cm tube with internal diameter of 6 mm),same capacitor ,and steadier construction, of course I will need better vacuum . I also think this type of setup is perfect for pulse multigas laser (given enough power and a resonator it's possible to laze about anything smile
Can you try adding a little NaHCO3 inside the tube, the plasma should heat it up and release CO2. I am curious if it changes anything having CO2 inside (2NaHCO3 → Na2CO3 + H2O + CO2 → Na2O + 2CO2 + H2O )
Or adding a little mercury for a mercury vapor atmosphere inside the tube. Just a few ideas, to see if it would still laze.
hboy007
Fri Oct 21 2011, 11:34PM
radhoo, I personally have never tried thyratrons myself. Most types that come as tubes with glass envelope are usually rated <10kV and the ones that can handle >30kV (e.g. the Perkin-Elmer 8614/HY-5) are seriously expensive and hard to find, not to speak of stupid import / export restrictions that cripple the opportunity to buy world-wide.
I assume the peak current is in the region of 500A-2kA. Measurements will be needed to get a suitable description.

Can poor vacuum be compensated by higher voltages? Of course, but at a certain price: even longutidinally pumped marx lasers have been proven to work at atmospheric pressure, but the trigger voltage of the tube may well be around 50-100kV for the 100mbar region. In case this voltage cannot be provided, pre-ionisation or pre-triggering with a meshed electrode around the length of the tube may be needed.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: