All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

coil + rail gun

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
guitarlord66
Wed Feb 25 2009, 10:37PM
guitarlord66 Registered Member #1805 Joined: Sat Nov 08 2008, 06:29AM
hotcrazyfruit wrote ...

Have you tried using a dril press? with the rail assembly in a perpendicular jig? i beleive you could do that. but the router idea might not work. because the round coil projectile, would only contact at one very small point on the projectile. which may cause welding if you decide to upgrade the bank. i still think you should go with drilling a hole between them.

Ok, I might try again but I'll have to make up a bracket to hold it once I made it, I destroyed my old railgun trying to drill a hole through it.
j.azz
Thu Feb 26 2009, 05:00PM
j.azz Registered Member #888 Joined: Tue Jul 10 2007, 06:52PM
What about drilling a solid alu/copper block and then cut it into two halfs with two cuts?
guitarlord66
Fri Feb 27 2009, 02:32AM
j.azz wrote ...

What about drilling a solid alu/copper block and then cut it into two halfs with two cuts?

Thanks not a bad idea! cheesey
rp181
Fri Feb 27 2009, 02:41AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
That would only work if the copper is separated by the thickness of the blade. I suggest drilling a hole, and cutting it in half. Get a rod the same diameter as the hole, and keep cutting till the slit is wide enough.
j.azz
Fri Feb 27 2009, 04:17PM
j.azz Registered Member #888 Joined: Tue Jul 10 2007, 06:52PM
Well, I suggested 2 cuts parallel to each other. which is quasi the same... ;)
guitarlord66
Sat Feb 28 2009, 11:51AM
Instead of using alluminium foil around the projectile I'm going to try making this - Coveroff2
Coveron2

The steel projectile will be inside a 1mm alluminium tube.
I have access to a metal lathe.
hotcrazyfruit
Sat Feb 28 2009, 11:35PM
hotcrazyfruit banned on 5/26/2009
Registered Member #1877 Joined: Mon Dec 22 2008, 02:03AM
a 1mm projectile will be very small, it will saturate very quickly, saturation is when a farrace material becomes so "saturated" with electro magnetism, and cannot become any more saturated. meaning there is a limit on the acceleration of the projectile, untill you start using more dense projectiles, or larger projectiles. the other option to eliminate this saturation limit is to split the discharge among multiple stages, this can be done via led and a photo transistor, and an SCR to trigger each succeeding stage. i would recommend you do this if you are using a small projectile. make sure you get the sttachment, its my program i made in turing, feel free to distribute to every one else. make sure that all calculations may be slightly off, and that there are other losses other than the ones you input. xD. good luck.
]coilgun.zip[/file]
guitarlord66
Sun Mar 01 2009, 12:18AM
hotcrazyfruit wrote ...

a 1mm projectile will be very small, it will saturate very quickly, saturation is when a farrace material becomes so "saturated" with electro magnetism, and cannot become any more saturated. meaning there is a limit on the acceleration of the projectile, untill you start using more dense projectiles, or larger projectiles. the other option to eliminate this saturation limit is to split the discharge among multiple stages, this can be done via led and a photo transistor, and an SCR to trigger each succeeding stage. i would recommend you do this if you are using a small projectile. make sure you get the sttachment, its my program i made in turing, feel free to distribute to every one else. make sure that all calculations may be slightly off, and that there are other losses other than the ones you input. xD. good luck.

I must have written it wrong... the projectile is 5mm diameter and 30mm long with a 1mm tube of alluminium that wrappes around the projectile like in the pics and thanks for posting the app I'll have a look at it now.
hotcrazyfruit
Sun Mar 01 2009, 03:01AM
hotcrazyfruit banned on 5/26/2009
Registered Member #1877 Joined: Mon Dec 22 2008, 02:03AM
ahhhh i see. sorry for the long and boring explanation :\ lol. that sounds alot better than 1 mm. if you decide to ever increase the power though, remember to always move to a larger projectile or split the discharge among multiple stages. and have fun with the app, i use it all of the time for my coil guns / rail guns.
cheers,
rp181
Sun Mar 01 2009, 03:34AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
Not to put you down, but that app seems kind of pointless to me. You need to know the information in the first place to get your input value( projectile speed, joules). Keep at it, and you can make some nice programs. I made one awhile back, some fields are extra ( I use it to export data) but the formula's are right.
Link2

I am kind of confused by this thread, all i see is a railgun, but no coilgun.

Good luck.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: