Alfons (36)
Coronafix (51)
AmonRa (44)

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

High voltage high current power source

Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Dark Current
Sat Jan 31 2009, 11:45AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Have you actually tried just connecting the MOTs in parallel? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't notice any difference in heating.

As I said, the 100 volt difference is gonna produce around 50mA of current. Standard MOT has 100 ohm secondary resistance, power wasted=IIR=0.25W. That's a lot of power cheesey cheesey

I'd be more worried about the no-load primary current, and I would focus on reducing it, either by adding a saturable inductor in series with mains, or by removing the shunts and filament winding and wind additional turns here. Note that if you do this, you can wind less turns on the MOT with lower voltage output to make the outputs ballanced (with the shunts removed, the ballancing current would be higher so it would be desirable to match the output voltages).

vasil
Sat Jan 31 2009, 11:56AM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
The shunts seems to be very well glued to the core. I was just too afraid to not damage my MOTs (it is hard to get them, sometime I am waiting mounths for a single xfrm).

I am sure that with an appropriate core I can reduce the output difference as you suggest. I wound in 10 turns increment and measure the difference (the inductor was in serie with the primary from the higher output MOT). For 150 turns the max reduction was 62 V, but adding more turns the difference begin to increase again, so I supposed that it was all I can get from that core. I didnt have another one, but I had all the parts to build the monstruosity seen in my pics.
Dr. Dark Current
Sat Jan 31 2009, 12:12PM
vasil wrote ...

The shunts seems to be very well glued to the core. I was just too afraid to not damage my MOTs (it is hard to get them, sometime I am waiting mounths for a single xfrm).

I am sure that with an appropriate core I can reduce the output difference as you suggest. I wound in 10 turns increment and measure the difference (the inductor was in serie with the primary from the higher output MOT). For 150 turns the max reduction was 62 V, but adding more turns the difference begin to increase again, so I supposed that it was all I can get from that core. I didnt have another one, but I had all the parts to build the monstruosity seen in my pics.
Well, if you used the centertapped autotransformer as I suggested, it will not limit much the no-load difference with "open" secondaries.
Only after you connect the HV leads together, the voltage on the transformer starts being induced and the secondary ballancing current will be very small. Try to measure it.

vasil
Sun Feb 15 2009, 04:38PM
Well...I have a guess, that my MOTs are weaker than I thought, so I measured the core section of each transformer. They are identical 3.5 cm x 6.7 cm, so a cross section of the core = 23.45 square centimeters, thats mean 549.9 watts each, so just a merely 1099 watts output with the two paralleled transformers.

So, I upgraded it with two new MOTs (they are completely different kinds):
- one with 3.5 cm x 6 cm core (21 square cm core section ) P = 441 watts
- another with 3.3 cm x 7 cm (23.1 square cm core section) P = 533.61 watts

Adding the two transformer in my setup would rise the max output power to a 2074 watts power capability. Had to add a new stage on the source.

The final result:

Th

Schema is here:

Th

The source with the GU81 vttc together:

Th

The diodes are 22 kV @ 3 A each, doubler cap = 5 microF @ 2.5 kV
Filter cap = 10 nF @ 20 kV - not figured in the schema ( I made it 10 times more than the primary cap as Dr Spark suggested in his posts, now I am runing a primary cap = 714 pF)

...and better spark:

YOUTUBE

I stop here (no more MOTs avalaible), have to work on the new vttc.

I run the same voltage on the doubler, but with higher current capability. The little movie shows very well how important is the power input for the vttc to get out a good spark. So not only the tube is important but the transformer you are using.

Dr. Dark Current
Sun Feb 15 2009, 04:44PM
Well this does not apply to MOTs, as they use nearly 2x the magnetic flux in the core so they can put out more power with the same copper heating, what's problem however is the core heating.

I have a standard-size MOT which was used at 1250W even when the core cross-section would suggest ~500W. Of course they must be cooled with a fan to allow continuous operation at 1250W.

vasil
Sun Feb 15 2009, 04:53PM
Seems that I have no idea about the power I run through it.
If it would be twice the calculated power I would have almost 4 kW....thats would be wonderful for me. Good news Dr Kilovolt!

Another thing is that my 2 kW variac heats a lot, so maibe I have more power in the circuit. Anyway I am using it only for short run times.
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Feb 15 2009, 05:22PM
vasil wrote ...

Seems that I have no idea about the power I run through it.
If it would be twice the calculated power I would have almost 4 kW....thats would be wonderful for me. Good news Dr Kilovolt!

Another thing is that my 2 kW variac heats a lot, so maibe I have more power in the circuit. Anyway I am using it only for short run times.
If you want them to run continuously @1kVA, consider adding a largish fan such as the one used in microwave oven. (at least one fan for two MOTs)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: