All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

JimG's Smaller DRSSTC

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
JimG
Sun Feb 19 2006, 10:37AM
JimG Registered Member #52 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:22AM
To be fair, it peaks at 30W after a burst and drops to 8W before a burst. The 6" strike was after it had charged for 2.5 seconds. The rate is currently set to 1 burst per second with 5" strikes. I think if I had a better primary that I could get more efficiency.

This is the schematic as it currently stands. The bad thing about it is that the power supply isn't regulated.

1140344773 52 FT600 Tinydrsstcschematic
hilo90mhz
Sat Mar 25 2006, 08:57AM
hilo90mhz Registered Member #298 Joined: Thu Mar 09 2006, 06:56AM
200A peak in a coil that small!! amazing! good work
Steve Conner
Sat Mar 25 2006, 10:25AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yea, at over 1MHz too! suprised I think the coolest thing is that it's actually powered off a wall wart and still manages 5-6" sparks. Way to go JimG!

BTW: Pulsed SSTCs can give a very high "Efficiency" in terms of inches of spark out per watt in, just by operating at a very low breakrate. In the limit, you could make a giant DRSSTC, spend a whole afternoon charging its DC bus cap bank off a 9v battery with a tiny DC-DC converter (even a small battery contains hundreds of joules) and then release all the energy in a few milliseconds to produce a giant 10 foot arc. Then you could truthfully claim you got a 10 foot arc out of a 9v battery and a 3 watt DC-DC converter.

This is considered cheating though: if you want to play at high efficiency, you have to measure it in the steady state at 100-120 discharges per second. The reason for choosing this breakrate is that John Freau used 120 in his original experiments on efficiency.
Omicron
Sat Mar 25 2006, 05:34PM
Omicron Registered Member #131 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 09:25PM
Are the computer caps the same one sold at the electronics gold mine?
JimG
Sat Mar 25 2006, 07:13PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

This is considered cheating though: if you want to play at high efficiency, you have to measure it in the steady state at 100-120 discharges per second. The reason for choosing this breakrate is that John Freau used 120 in his original experiments on efficiency.

I didn't want to boast about the power usage too much because when running at 100 bps it only produces 1/2" streamers and 1" sparks.

When doing the longer sparks the cap drains within a few bursts. The mosfet drivers will almost completely drain my supply capacitors and it could take about a quarter second before the switch mode power supply starts fully working again. It's an issue with using a single 12VA wall wart to power both sections of the circuit.

Omicron wrote ...

Are the computer caps the same one sold at the electronics gold mine?

No, I got the cap from a local electronics parts surplus store.

I've started winding a lower frequency secondary and figured I could cut my circuit board length in half by going with a two layer bridge. The EG cap may be a good fit to make a smaller controller.
JimmyH
Sun Apr 09 2006, 09:34PM
JimmyH Registered Member #358 Joined: Sat Apr 01 2006, 06:13AM
First of all, I must say that I am impressed. The first time I saw it, I thought it was bigger than that, and just another 'little' DRSSTC.

There are a few things I don't get though. The most important one, is why did you step the voltage down to 12v with a wall wart, and then step it back up for the IGBTs, instead of just rectifying mains? A single diode could easily supply more power at 170v. Then you could turn up the break rate a bit, and make it even cooler.

You said that you learned that tuning the primary low, you could get the same results with IGBTs as with MOSFETs (detuning is a cool trick, huh?). How much lower are you talking about? What is the driving frequency vs the secondary resonance frequency?

I think you can push this thing harder! Step up the voltage more, and see what it's capable of!
JimG
Mon Apr 10 2006, 05:14AM
JimmyH wrote ...

There are a few things I don't get though. The most important one, is why did you step the voltage down to 12v with a wall wart, and then step it back up for the IGBTs, instead of just rectifying mains? A single diode could easily supply more power at 170v. Then you could turn up the break rate a bit, and make it even cooler.

I went with the wall wart because I wanted to be in close proximity to the coil while I poked around with it and not have live mains. It would have been a better accomplishment if I didn't have to sacrifice a fast break rate for long streamers. The next coil I build will definitely not be powered this way.

JimmyH wrote ...

You said that you learned that tuning the primary low, you could get the same results with IGBTs as with MOSFETs (detuning is a cool trick, huh?). How much lower are you talking about? What is the driving frequency vs the secondary resonance frequency?

The drop in fequency wasn't much, ~1.4Mhz down to ~1.3Mhz. I not sure of the exact frequency since I eyeballed it with a scope. With the new top load the caculated resonance is 1.17Mhz, but I'm running closer to 1.10 Mhz.

I've noticed that I'm getting no notches in my waveform off of the primary coil, my larger DRSSTC would get them after 10 to 15 cycles. Is this common with de-tuning, or is a symptom of low coupling?

JimmyH wrote ...

I think you can push this thing harder! Step up the voltage more, and see what it's capable of!

I have a lower frequency coil wound and I've started designing a new circuit with better gate drivers. The coil I have now has an unloaded frequency frequency of 1.98 Mhz and the new one is 1.55Mhz and is a half inch shorter. I've decided to leave the current coil as a show piece and really push it with the new coil.
JimmyH
Mon Apr 10 2006, 06:40AM
JimmyH Registered Member #358 Joined: Sat Apr 01 2006, 06:13AM
I went with the wall wart because I wanted to be in close proximity to the coil while I poked around with it and not have live mains. It would have been a better accomplishment if I didn't have to sacrifice a fast break rate for long streamers. The next coil I build will definitely not be powered this way.

Well, if you're gonna do another one, putting a fat 10kohm resistor in series could give you the same effect while you test it out.

The drop in fequency wasn't much, ~1.4Mhz down to ~1.3Mhz. I not sure of the exact frequency since I eyeballed it with a scope. With the new top load the caculated resonance is 1.17Mhz, but I'm running closer to 1.10 Mhz.

Ok, I wasnt sure if you were just driving the crap out of it at 500khz, or something
rediculously low.

I've noticed that I'm getting no notches in my waveform off of the primary coil, my larger DRSSTC would get them after 10 to 15 cycles. Is this common with de-tuning, or is a symptom of low coupling?

Yeah, that tends to come with detuning, but low coupling would also reduce the notching. If you're worried about coupling, javatc can probably give you a better number than you can measure :P

I have a lower frequency coil wound and I've started designing a new circuit with better gate drivers. The coil I have now has an unloaded frequency frequency of 1.98 Mhz and the new one is 1.55Mhz and is a half inch shorter. I've decided to leave the current coil as a show piece and really push it with the new coil.

Ok, cool. As long as you push the new one smile. Steve Ward and I are thinking of making tiny (DR)SSTCs, so if you want to keep your recognition of owning "the most badass tiny SSTC", then don't slack on the new one! wink

Good luck!
JimG
Mon Apr 10 2006, 02:58PM
I wasn't expecting any kind of competition. I guess I will need to stay on my toes with this next one.

Ok, I wasnt sure if you were just driving the crap out of it at 500khz, or something
rediculously low.

I tried going with a lower harmonic, but it didn't work very well. I didn't try to push more power through it than I had at resonance, though.
JimG
Mon Apr 24 2006, 05:41AM
Update with new board and secondary.

obligatory coke can shot of the new coil and board

1145856720 52 FT600 Tinydrsstc2coke
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: