All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Tube coil project

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
vasil
Sun Dec 21 2008, 04:44PM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
OK...

I finished today the coils and the primary capacitor. I will play with a tapable feedback coil under the primary to find the number of turns needed by the tube, then I will make a definitive feedback above the primary (I leave enough space for it):

Th

I put the last stage on the top of the coil:

Th

Because the bumps on the secondary I am using an intermediary pipe:

Th

The primary capacitor: 4 of 2.2 nF@6 kV 35 kVAR in series-parallel for 2.2 nF @ 12 kV:

Th

The tapable feedback coil:

Th

I have some minor connections to make, but I think I will fire on Christmass day (we have a little vacance then).
vasil
Thu Dec 25 2008, 12:36PM
OK, the first light.

I had too more primary capacitance so I took off two of my ceramic caps (I am runing now only 1.1 nF). Grid 1 and 2 connected together. 100 W light bulb as grid leak resistor. I tunned, added a little toroid on top to have some more current in discharges, tunned again. 21 turns for feedback is just allright, one more or less = no advantage. The same primary connection for the cap and tube (no voltage amplification on tube). The plate is OK, but the MOT is hot after 6 minutes of play (have to make a bit of impedance matching). I will wind a new feedback above the primary trying to get some sword sparks (now they are long, very hot, but forked).

Two movies on youtube:

MOVIE 1

MOVIE 2

Mads Barnkob
Thu Dec 25 2008, 06:51PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Nice sparks, do yourself a favor and add a staccato controller to it, that way you can vary between sword like sparks and huge bucket flower like sparks.

How high input voltage do you put on the mot and how many primary turns? I use 19 and 20 feedback turns too on my dual 811a vttc
vasil
Thu Dec 25 2008, 08:10PM
220 V input (we have 220 V @ 50 Hz here). For higher input not more spark lenght gain, but hoter MOT. 26 turns on primary, 21 turns on feedback coil.

I want to extract the best spark possible (have two ideas about), so I would experiment a bit. Staccato is one of the last options because I have a problem...all my solders suxx. Thats why I am using only mechanical contacts, even for FETs in my SSTCs. :)
Mads Barnkob
Thu Dec 25 2008, 08:34PM
You should try to put a voltage doubler after your mot then, that's what I did so I can run it with a input voltage of 160-180vac on the mot so i completely avoid heating from it and I got a headroom so over voltage my tubes
vasil
Thu Dec 25 2008, 08:43PM
JC...did you look at the first picture? It has a voltage doubler already. Of course I can run at lower voltage for extended periods of time, but the point is to get the maximum spark from it. I will see tomorrow what improvements can be done....I am thinking to one more tunned circuit on primary to get a bushy discharge and a flat feedback coil...the proximity of the toroid can be dangerous. A flat feedback coil will be low coupled so it would be equivalent with a feedback coil more above primary....will see.
Mads Barnkob
Thu Dec 25 2008, 08:54PM
Sorry, I see it now, but the best addition to longer sparks is mostly higher input voltage, especially if you are not running over tube specs.

vasil
Thu Dec 25 2008, 09:21PM
For the full wave doubler I would need 8 microwave caps to get the same value of 2 microF. I only have two caps, so the doubler I am using is the rational choice.

I am thinking to build a more potent circuitry, but this will be discussed on a next project. :)

I am within the specs yet.
vasil
Fri Dec 26 2008, 08:40PM
Today I was experimented a lot.
I tryed the autotransformer setup on my primary, as I used in my old vttc. Well...doesn't work, the spark lenght was almost the same, but the tube and MOT run cooler. I think that the power input does matter. The MOT in the older setup has a bigger cross section of the core, the actual transformer is smaller, even it has the same output voltage (2200V). Well I dont have another MOT...
I built the flat feedback coil:

Th

I built it on a flat surface and solidarised the turns with cyanoacrilate. Smells awfull and is iritating for the nose and eyes. It looks ok......but it is not worthing at all. The results was dissapointing.

I built a classical feedback coil with 0.4 mm magnet wire and tryed a few positions on the primary pipe....but severe arcs from the toroid to the grid coil forced me to take it off, sand the primary pipe and to build another primary. The feedback coil didn't perform better than my grid coil under primary.

Th

After a day of work:

Th

I renonced to make another modifications and tryes to tune fine the secondary system adding little pieces of metal on the topload...this way I achieved a few cm sparks more than all the trials before. Besides all the modifications I think that the voltage input is essential, I would have some more centimetres with a few hundred volts more.

I decided to let the setup in this stage. The streamers in free air are 35-36 cm, sparks to grounded things up to 40 cm (for 240 V input from variac, MOT start to saturate).

MOVIE

P.S

As quick as I find some MOTs I will start another project with a beefier GU5B tube (2.5 kW on plate). I have some MOCs, caps for primary, fillament transformer (13.4 V @ 27 A) and the tube. I am hoping for bigger sparks.

Th

But I am afraid that my HV source will be too weak.

Arcstarter
Fri Dec 26 2008, 11:29PM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
Are those tank caps on that table a few feet away from the coil? Shorter wires can help with better performance. Lower inductance and capacitance of the wires is good.

Did you tune the feedback? You should mess with the coupling and taps of the primary and feedback. Just in case you haven't done that already.

I like the coil as it is, the sparks seem good :P.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: