Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SSTC=Super Simple Tesla Coil?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Marko
Tue Mar 28 2006, 08:28PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
EDIT: Err... can be an OLTC made with a heavy duty relay or SCR as mentioned above? (just another silly idea on a simple TC really.)

First tesla's resonant transformers ever were small multilayer coils, powered from few hundred volt supply and used kicker relay instead of spark gap.
In school I have similar small coil, uses only 24V supply and is supposed to generate maybe just couple of cm long spark.
It has diminutive topload, tunable helical primary, capacitor and relay as switch.
I never saw it in operation nor I remember details, so I cant tell more.

On any higher powers relay contacts would probably melt and weld shut, and it is also more inefficient than spark gap, and you aagain run in ''less than one turn priamry'' and other problems.

For SCR I concluded that it is big problem to turn it off.
FOr OLTC one could try to rectify mains halfwave, and make firing synchronous with halfcycle when 0V is present so SCR turns off when tank capacitor is rung to primary (now SCR would tend to turn off in ringing, and I dont know what side-effects would be) so idea prbably needs lots more of work.

Another could be using of GTO SCRs but they seem to be just too slow, altough I never saw that anybody tried OLTC with anything that is not IGBT.
dan
Tue Mar 28 2006, 10:06PM
dan Registered Member #223 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 06:42PM
The SCR wouldn't work for the tank circuit in a OLTC since it is basically a rectifier that you can turn on. It will cut off the other part of the cycle. (The back-emf would probably kill the SCR too). A triac would be able to conduct both ways because it is basically two SCR's in anti-parallel. However to my knowledge the switch-on/off time in both directions is too slow and you may get some overlap or something. Then again a triac may work in a OLTC if you had one big enough but if it could be use in a OLTC I'm sure someone would have done it by now. But then again a suitable IGBT and drive circuitry would be much better and just as simple. But the simplest TC by a long shot is a good old spark gap tesla coil. I mean it doesn't get simpler than a HV source, Spark gap, tank cap, primary and secondary coil. (and top load which technically optional)
Marko
Wed Mar 29 2006, 11:56AM
The SCR wouldn't work for the tank circuit in a OLTC since it is basically a rectifier that you can turn on. It will cut off the other part of the cycle.

Its not different neither with IGBTs, and problem is simply solved by using diode in reverse.
Slowness of SCRs is main problem together with needed circuit design for right turnoff.

dan
Wed Mar 29 2006, 01:16PM
dan Registered Member #223 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 06:42PM
Yes the reverse diode across the SCR would work however it increases the part count. Also finding a triac that can handle more than a 100A is probably harder than an IGBT of equal size and simply not worth it because it's too slow anyway. But this thread is about using a light dimmer to drive a TC which as stated before wouldn't work well.
Dr. Dark Current
Thu Mar 30 2006, 05:39PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Hi all,
today I've made a simple triac circuit driving a 8 turn TC primary in series with a 0.1uF cap. It was limited with a 25W light bulb that even didn't light up so it was drawing a very little current. I managed to make some 5mm sparks with a mini TC secondary (800T, 4 by 15cm).
I'll try to improve it soon for bigger sparks (less primary turns, bigger cap, bigger triac). I'm aiming for at least 20mm sparks, generated by "brute force" cheesey

J.M.
Marko
Thu Mar 30 2006, 05:47PM
you should use 1 turn and maximize capacitor as possible, if you can make it resonate and dont roast the triac maybe you can get few more mm.
I also gotspark around that size and decided it isn't worth trying any more.
GimpyJoe
Thu Mar 30 2006, 07:51PM
GimpyJoe Registered Member #316 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:30PM
I'm pretty sure you're just running the coil like a regular transformer with a bit of inductive kick from the chopped waveform out of the dimmer.
Teodor Zafiroski
Tue Apr 07 2015, 02:57PM
Teodor Zafiroski Registered Member #48007 Joined: Wed Jun 18 2014, 01:00PM
Dr. Dark Current wrote ...

EDIT: Err... can be an OLTC made with a heavy duty relay ill or SCR as mentioned above? (just another silly idea on a simple TC really.)
I know that I'm about 8-9 years late, but about a year ago, this post inspired me to make this:
Link2
TeslaHighvoltMan
Wed Apr 08 2015, 05:58AM
TeslaHighvoltMan Registered Member #54545 Joined: Mon Mar 02 2015, 12:35PM
Teodor Zafiroski wrote ...

EDIT: Err... can be an OLTC made with a heavy duty relay ill or SCR as mentioned above? (just another silly idea on a simple TC really.)
I know that I'm about 8-9 years late, but about a year ago, this post inspired me to make this:
Link2

? I don't think, that YOU made this! Please don't talk bullshit. The teslacoil shown in your link is a small commercial Teslacoil, produced in the former German Democratic Republic and was used at nearly every school for physics demo. You can buy this coils often on Ebay, here for example:

Link2

They can be run with 25V AC or DC, what makes them not very dangerous and they use the same simple principle like violet wand machines. So please don't say that YOU built this device smile
dex
Wed Apr 08 2015, 08:17AM
dex Registered Member #2566 Joined: Wed Dec 23 2009, 05:52PM
Teodor Zafiroski wrote ...

Link2

How much arcing between contacts of the relay when it opens?
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: