Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

saturable reactor (now water ballast)

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
J. Aaron Holmes
Tue Oct 07 2008, 04:26AM
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
Here's an illustration of my water ballast that takes maximum advantage of my feeble Paint skills wink This illustration does not attempt to show the support structure that holds the pair of pipes in the center of the garbage can, as that would have made the picture too complicated.

WaterBallast

This worked well for me. However it wasn't a very safe design. For one, the fact that the copper pipes tower above the garbage can is a hazard; they may fall over, and you'd better not be in their way! One solution might be to find a way to hold the pipes in parallel by the bottom ends only, leaving the top ends unconnected and completely under water. I have a few ideas for that, and that's my next design. Another approach might be to make the PVC sleeve slotted on one side so that instead of raising/lowering it, you rotate it (the copper may then be attached at both ends, but needn't extend above the water). This latter approach would probably give up some of the range that the former method has, and then you also loose the advantage that, with the former method, gravity is naturally trying to turn the power down. So I like the raise/lower idea best.

One thing I forgot to draw in the picture is an end cap on the control handle. Good measure to guard against the possibility that water works its way up in there. PVC fittings are all PVC-welded together.

Anyway, hopefully this has at least served to illustrate how the water ballast works. There is plenty of room for improvement and/or experimentation, however.

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE
Mates
Tue Oct 07 2008, 08:45AM
Mates Registered Member #1025 Joined: Sun Sept 23 2007, 07:53PM
J. Aaron Holmes wrote ...

Here's an illustration of my water ballast that takes maximum advantage of my feeble Paint skills wink This illustration does not attempt to show the support structure that holds the pair of pipes in the center of the garbage can, as that would have made the picture too complicated.

That's really good idea... I will have a use for such device, but I will switch to stainless steel to avoid any additive unwanted chemical reactions in the basket...
Thanks...

J. Aaron Holmes
Tue Oct 07 2008, 10:22AM
Mates wrote ...

I will switch to stainless steel to avoid any additive
Yeah, that would probably be goodness! If I find some available inexpensively, I'll have to give that a shot as well. Cheapness being a major goal here, however, I start to wonder as soon as real money gets involved. Of course, if your purpose is something other than a ballast, the "cost" argument may or may not apply.

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE
teslacoolguy
Tue Oct 07 2008, 03:50PM
teslacoolguy Registered Member #1107 Joined: Thu Nov 08 2007, 10:09PM
Ok thanks for all the help. I will start making the ballast after i do my schoolwork but i have one last question. How far are the electrodes spaced apart? I am also assuming that you are using standard 1/2" copper pipe as the electrodes and i am also assuming that the further the plastic pipe is out of the water the more current it lets through?
J. Aaron Holmes
Tue Oct 07 2008, 04:04PM
teslacoolguy wrote ...

How far are the electrodes spaced apart?
It's not critical. Mine were probably 3/8" apart or something close. I never measured and didn't figure it much mattered. Just do whatever is convenient given the materials you manage to find, and if the conductivity isn't what you want, just dope with more baking soda and it will be ok. If you build what I have illustrated (again, one of a zillion ways to build such a device!), then the minimum separation will be dictated by the outer diameter of the PVC tee joint. You probably don't want the spacing to be too tight, or else the control handle won't slide easily up and down.

And yes, up = more current, down = less.

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE
Myke
Wed Oct 08 2008, 12:39AM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
I would assume that the water would heat more evenly if the electrodes were spaced farther apart. You don't want water that's too hot in one area I suppose.
J. Aaron Holmes
Wed Oct 08 2008, 01:11AM
Myke wrote ...

I would assume that the water would heat more evenly if the electrodes were spaced farther apart. You don't want water that's too hot in one area I suppose.
Not really. The heat production would be more diffuse, but convection currents develop very quickly and result in nice even heating of the whole water volume. That's because conduction generally occurs near the bottom of the can. It would be a different story if you were to lower parallel electrodes into the water, starting conduction at the top. In that case, the water volume in the lower regions of the can wouldn't be buying you much.

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE
teslacoolguy
Fri Oct 10 2008, 01:17AM
teslacoolguy Registered Member #1107 Joined: Thu Nov 08 2007, 10:09PM
Today i got around to making the copper pipe assembly and tomorrow i will finish the base that will be submerged to the bottom of thr trash can and then i have to figure out how to connect the 2 pipes to wires. I cant really put connectors on there because they are to close together so any suggestions would be appereciated. Also seeing that this is becoming more of a project can a mod please transfer it to the projects section?
rp181
Fri Oct 10 2008, 01:21AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
put two copper 90 degree bends, put a flatned pipe in it.
Coronafix
Fri Oct 10 2008, 01:50AM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
You can also separate the electrodes to either side of the bucket and then saturate
the water with copper sulfate.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: