Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

First SSTC's first light! What tweaks/refinements are possible?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Coronafix
Wed Oct 01 2008, 11:54AM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
Nice work! You got to try and fix that corona leak at the bend in the wire though, at higher power it will
eventually burn it out. I space wind the last 5 or so turns of the secondary to encourage this, but
you could try curving the last turn on more of an angle towards the top and try and take the bend out.
Epoxy or varnish will really help it. Cutting a curving channel in the side of the end cap where the leak is
and filling it with epoxy would really help.
The further away from 90 degree bends the better. cheesey
Love your layout, it shows a lot of thought.
aonomus
Wed Oct 01 2008, 12:00PM
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
Yea, unfortunately since I didn't think that far ahead in terms of the secondary I'll be a bit of a loss but I'll just get the copper pipe sometime this week and try to fix it. In terms of the layout, I found myself backpedaling because the rubber feet on the bottom took up too much space in the end which could have given me more stability (ie: mount the GDT somewhere so it doesn't break wires so often).

I will definitely re-engineer the secondary for my next SSTC (likely a musical SSTC) to get around these problems, cutting a groove in the acrylic and filling in with some kind of epoxy sounds like a very good idea. The first piece of my SSTC built was the secondary, and I hadn't done as much research until now. Since I live in a small apartment I won't build beefy DRSSTCs till I have more space, and most importantly money (I have the parts for another SSTC lying around, but not for a DRSSTC).
uzzors2k
Wed Oct 01 2008, 09:06PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
You still haven't provided any details on the primary winding. Given that the coil actually dies from low voltage tests unless interrupted, I assume you're using way too few turns. Beef it up man! Your coil should do CW from 40V without the mosfets so much as breaking a sweat. Toploads increase current by lowering fres (and other effects I'm not sure of) so you'll need more primary turns to keep the impedance the same. All of your problems are a matter of tuning! You can always remove turns once you have the coil under control.
aonomus
Wed Oct 01 2008, 09:51PM
Well, details:

Currently 4.5 primary turns of 16AWG, the coil doesn't fail with low voltage tests, however they fail cold. I'm trying to find a suitable primary form to lower the coupling (and add more windings).

I'm still stumped overall as to why it fails with the topload. Since the coil runs off its own feedback via a 74HC14 it should stay in tune correct?
MRacerxdl
Wed Oct 01 2008, 10:20PM
MRacerxdl Registered Member #989 Joined: Sat Sept 08 2007, 02:15AM
4.5 Primary turns? I was used for my IRFP250 coil 7 Turns for a Half Bridge, and I get 20cm sparks :D

It can fail with topload because low turns, and the antenna can get massive signal and stops to work for a few nS, that can kill the mosfets.

Try to increase the turns to 10, and test it, if runs ok with no heat at mosfets (not on the heatsink, some times the mosfets heat in the front of it, but not on the heatsink) reduce the turns by 1, and try again.
Coronafix
Wed Oct 01 2008, 10:45PM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
4.5 turns is way too few turns, that explains why they are blowing.
Do about 20 and as Uzzors said, you can always remove some later. The impedance of the secondary wants to suck amps into it, if the primary impedance isn't enough to supply it, then the pump is going to blow (mosfets).
I'm sure there are better analogies but that's mine on the run this morning. :)
aonomus
Thu Oct 02 2008, 12:37AM
I just followed the schematic :/

With 20 turns should I have a low BPS or higher BPS?

I'm trying 10 turns now and I can support a topload at low BPS with easy breakout, and hard breakout at high BPS (near CW).

Yet another edit:
With primary at 10 turns with about 5 BPS and topload w/ breakout point I get nice 7" sparks

Overall, about 7-8" sparks
IMG 0609

Full power, 1/5th second shutter speed
IMG 0612

Full power, 1/50th second shutter speed
IMG 0616

And video: Link2
uzzors2k
Fri Oct 03 2008, 03:36PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Haha, nice. First light with power always rocks. More turns will decrease the current draw, allowing you to use a higher duty cycle on your coil. I would find the interrupter setting which gives the best sparks, and then remove as many turns as you're comfortable with from there.
Ken M.
Fri Oct 03 2008, 03:42PM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
Very nice, you got it running and its looks similar to steves arcs and mine (I'm still dicking around fixing mine ><). Congradulations again!
MRacerxdl
Fri Oct 03 2008, 09:56PM
MRacerxdl Registered Member #989 Joined: Sat Sept 08 2007, 02:15AM
You can try to use HalfWave retified mains. That will make the sparks grow a little and current gets down.
Now the arcs are looking good :D
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: