All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Just finished my 3.5kj cap bank & RL test results

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
FastMHz
Fri Mar 24 2006, 01:56AM
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
Thanks for all the fantastic feedback everyone. I did fire the coil today at 1260v successfully. I placed a hard disk ring on top, then a soda can, then a brick on the soda can. I fired it and the can became a disc...and to my surprise, I can launch these flattened can discs even though they have no hole in the middle...I thought a hole was required suprised Well as soon as the weather gets better I'm going to launch some stuff outdoors and use my chrony to see what kind of output I'm getting.

After firing 3 times in a row, the coil was nice and warm, but not hot. The system is working very well, and no blown up SCRs either. I have yet to fire it at 1400v yet because my transformer doesn't put out enough voltage to charge beyond 1260v...so does this mean I need a microwave oven transformer?
GimpyJoe
Fri Mar 24 2006, 04:19AM
GimpyJoe Registered Member #316 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:30PM
MOT and a variac should work nicely
FastMHz
Fri Mar 24 2006, 06:27PM
Alright everyone, some numbers for you to crunch. I myself find the efficiencies hard to believe, but the spreadsheet used the same 1/2MVsquared formula across the board...I'll get some footage of things launching 'cause you've got to see it to believe it. This thing is lethal!

EDIT: Bad Data Removed, see post below
Wilson
Sat Mar 25 2006, 02:12PM
Wilson Registered Member #78 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:27AM
Thats an excellent efficiency. By aluminium 'disc', i presume that you don't have an iron rod protruding from you coil like in classic thompson guns?

Could we get some pics? I will be building one of these soon, from a 3kJ cap bank of computer grade caps and i would love to have a look at someone else's success b4 i start :)

Thanks,

Wilson
FastMHz
Sat Mar 25 2006, 06:56PM
Nope, no central rod, and no hole in the projectile - just a 3.5" 5/16" 62g aluminum platter I cut out of scrap:

1143313017 179 FT5246 Fastmhz Setup
Wilson
Sun Mar 26 2006, 12:19AM
cool stuff :P

Have you tried launching the discs laterally by sandwiching it between two coils?
You'll probably get much more height due to aerodynamics if you can get it to launch in the right direction
FastMHz
Sun Mar 26 2006, 11:24PM
I was right to be suspicious of those efficiencies of 25%. Like any good scientist I wanted to repeat the test and see if I got the same results, so I set up everything and got ready to chrono the launches. The speeds were much lower than I got the day before which was strange...I couldn't figure out why the chrono would mess up...

Then I discovered that I made an error when setting up for testing the first time and used reflected light instead of a direct source. What happened was the projectile projected a shadow on the reflector for the chrono, and this shadow would trigger the second sensor even though the projectile was only half way to it...so the speeds were just about doubled...

The result is that the sub 10% efficiencies posted earlier are accurate because I used direct light when taking those measurements, and the two 25% ones are not. Today I'm going to do some extensive testing, and also see what difference wiring the banks in parallel for 700v @ 14400uf instead of 1400v @ 3600uf makes. I'll also see about using the dual coil approach Wilson suggests.

[Mod edit: merged double post. To go back and add images to a post, stick them on the attachments board and then link to them when you edit.]

I just ran a bunch of tests and repeated them with acceptable deviation in the results. Here is a spreadsheet showing the average results for varying setups:

1143415478 179 FT5246 Fastmhztesting2

1 Layer = Single layer coil
2 Layer S = 2 layers wired in series
2 Layer P = 2 Layers wired in parallel
Wilson
Mon Mar 27 2006, 02:45AM
Interesting...the trend of results seem to hint that an Al disc with 2 parallel coils would yield a higher efficiency.
FastMHz
Mon Mar 27 2006, 07:15PM
That seems to be the case, and it makes sense too because in parallel the current is doubled and the pulse is therefore shortened. These things launch so fast that a long pulse is wasteful since the projectile is long gone. I'm unable to do a 3 layer parallel for fear of destroying my SCRs with excess current. At some point adding layers would be ineffective because the bottom layers are further from the disc and have less magnetic coupling.
Wilson
Wed Mar 29 2006, 01:34AM
what SCRs are you using atm? puk or stud?
I've bought 4 studs for use in my launcher, put i'm not sure if their 3kA surge rating will be sufficient for a 2-3kJ bank.

1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: