Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

HD-DVD PCB maker

Move Thread LAN_403
EEYORE
Mon Jun 23 2008, 03:25AM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
GeordieBoy wrote ...

Wouldn't a focused laser diode write in such thin lines (like 10 micron spot size or smaller?) that exposing photoresist on a PCB using a focused laser diode would take forever?
You could just bring the laser out of focus a little...Right?
Matt
GeordieBoy
Mon Jun 23 2008, 09:57AM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
> You could just bring the laser out of focus a little...Right?

...but that will presumably decrease the power density meaning it will take much longer to expose?
Conundrum
Mon Jun 23 2008, 07:06PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
will have to investigate this. I did obtain some Na(OH)2 so can now develop the PCB. Unfortunately it looks like one of my chemicals mullered up the photoresist but thats no biggie as there's still enough to expose it again.

The power density is high enough that at 0.1mm focus it will still expose a fairly large area (0.3mm diameter when I tried it) so ironically the problem is going to be avoiding over exposure.

Update:- It works, just finished the (slow as molasses) etching now. See below for my ingenious Macgyver-style PCB etch heater..

Update 2:- Have ordered some spray-on PCB photoreactive coating, will update you as to how well this works with the same diode and/or UV LED array (30s exposure time)

1214260137 96 FT0 Etch

1214260137 96 FT0 Etched

1214260137 96 FT0 Etching

1214260137 96 FT0 Developer

-A
"Bother" said Pooh, as the warp nacelle fell off...
Conundrum
Tue Jul 08 2008, 06:26PM
Update:- I discovered a slight problem with the Ebay purchased photosensitive material as it is the "blue" type inferior dye. It does work but is about an order of magnitude less sensitive.

I suspect that rapidly spinning the PCB during spraying will get around this problem (google "spin coating") and will try this next. In the meantime, perhaps an additional modification would be to irradiate the vicinity of the focus area with UV light from conventional NUV LED's to presensitise the PCB and let the laser do its work more quickly.

Side effects would include a chance of burn-through, but the increase in throughput would be worth it.

Please advise. I can't believe I'm the only person to be working on this...
regards, A
Carbon_Rod
Wed Jul 09 2008, 11:05PM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
For thin coats slow dry at a 60' angle.

note if any droplets appear there was too much emulsion applied.

Photo plotters were around for many years, but became much less popular in the late 90's.
aonomus
Thu Jul 10 2008, 01:43AM
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
You got posted on Hack A Day I think....
Conundrum
Sun Aug 10 2008, 01:38PM
*This* is what happens when you use a proper 150mW Blu-ray burner diode instead of a wimpy HD-DVD read laser.

Obviously you ABSOLUTELY MUST USE safety goggles!!!!!!!! I used one of those gas welding goggles which does work but would strongly recommend the correct equipment.

(end of safety rant)

Diode is being run at approx. 95.6mA which is well within its safe limits. The seller says he has run them up to 120mA but for test purposes this is fine.

Safety circuits include:- parallel 1K resistor and 0.1uF capacitor, input smoothing and zener, so that in the unlikely event of a regulator problem or other anomaly the diode should survive.

As you can see, I've encased the diode in low melt 95c alloy and mounted the lens the same way, this is not ideal but it does at least allow reasonable run times without risking thermal runaway.
I estimate heat being generated is around 0.7W at 95mA
The assembly is mounted on a surplus heat pipe from a broken PC motherboard, and fixed to the HP LJ module with epoxy.

I had to remove the two beam shaping lenses as it turned out they defocussed and absorbed the beam too much, without them the dot looks much sharper and the beam is nice and round with few artifacts.

UPDATE 2:- Spin coating the PCB with resist works well, you need to do this in low light however or your hard work will be wasted. I
used a modified PC PSU fan motor and glued the PCB to it, then started from the inside edge and worked outwards at about 1cm/sec then let it dry. The results speak for themselves :)

1218385702 96 FT0 Spincoat
1218385702 96 FT0 Spin2
Here are some pics.
1218375536 96 FT47964 Effinbrightlaser

1218375536 96 FT47964 Laser1

1218375536 96 FT47964 Laserfront

1218375536 96 FT47964 Lasertop

1218375536 96 FT47964 Laseretch

1218375536 96 FT47964 Laser3
Conundrum
Fri Jan 02 2009, 05:06PM
Hi..

I have mounted the scan module onto a spare scanner cover, so it now has stepper and CDROM drives as the X and Y grids.

The scanning area is approx 2" across (with modified laptop drive unit) and it also etches through the glass thereby preventing the annoying PCB alignment problems.

Observe.

-A

1230915977 96 FT47964 Laser

1230915977 96 FT47964 Laser1

1230915977 96 FT47964 Laser2

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: