All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

5KJ 4 stage rail gun (complete)

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
rp181
Sun May 18 2008, 08:00PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
thanks =) where are the rails? are they on the top and bottom? how does the piece of copper sticking out stay connected to the rails without getting in the way of the projectile?

man thats a good camera, i thought it was rendered =)
ea6b607
Sun May 18 2008, 08:27PM
ea6b607 Registered Member #1320 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 01:31AM
That's a early picture, the rails weren't on it at that time. The rails themselves are on the top and bottom secured with two part epoxy the little metal tabs where secured with a butane torch and a lot of solder later on (I think your probably won't be able to use a torch on polyethylene on PVC as it melts way to fast). The tabs where connected to the side of the rails so it was impossible for them to touch the projectile. And ya I have a Olympus E-500 and love it. Also PVC will shatter as well so be careful with that. There is a lot of force pushing those apart and even using thick polycarbonate like I did on mine can still be torn apart with an unexpectedly low amount of force.
rp181
Sun May 18 2008, 09:13PM
Heres what i was going to do: clamp all the parts together and drill a hole in the center. With the table saw, dado it so the rails slide in (and filler plastic). Before sliding it, the rod would be soldered with a propane torch, away from plastic. Once its put in, and plastic bolted down, then the rod would be sandwiched between the plastic, with some sticking out. Then ide sand te rod flat, so i could put bolts in it.
badastronaut
Sun May 18 2008, 10:29PM
badastronaut Registered Member #222 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 05:49PM
Wow!!! That is an awesome setup!

You're injector alone is an impressive accomplishment. 400 m/s is no laughing matter.

Can we see some pictures of that wooden plate? I like how you used sound to measure speed. I have had problems measuring speed with my own setup. Can you make a diagram of where the railgun, microphone, and wooden plate. Equations would be nice too :D

Very cool indeed!
ea6b607
Mon May 19 2008, 02:28AM
ea6b607 Registered Member #1320 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 01:31AM
Sounds like a good idea rp, but you might need to weld the metal

P1011876
not much of a significant target, but was never meant to be. Still made a neat square hole.

I made this diagram to help to explain the measurement method I used. This will calculate the speed and you can find the distance between muzzle and target and thus can fine speed r=dt.

Speedmeasuringdevice

I used Adobe Soundbooth to measure the time, but you can probably find a free software as long as it shows time and dB

Here's a mockup of my new charging box (I'm going to use Lexan for the final version) weighs 35lbs and has 18ah of battery with 700Watts of 2KVAC/DC or 700watts 110VAC or a combination of the two. Also supplies 24VAC for my solenoid.

P1011877

Also, I have a question, I have 4 350amp 2KV SCR I got for crazy cheap and was wondering what would be the estimated amount of power I could pump through them before they blow.

P1011879

Backyard Skunkworks
Mon May 19 2008, 03:00AM
Backyard Skunkworks Registered Member #1262 Joined: Fri Jan 25 2008, 05:22AM
Audacity could work for the sound file analysis, best free audio editor out there.

Generally SCRs can take about 8-10 times their rated current for a surge, so they might stand 3.5kA. To be safe I'd keep in somewhere in the 2.#kA range, just parallel them for higher amps (as long as the circuit is somewhat inductive they should all close in time).
badastronaut
Mon May 19 2008, 03:01AM
Regarding the SCR's, the answer is not enough to handle your 5kJ cap bank. For pulsed applications, each SCR would be able to handle 3500 amps for under 10ms.

Can you annotate that diagram with actual data? What kind of uncertainty do you have with this method of measurement? How about posting the sound file? :)

What do the rails look like after firing?
rp181
Mon May 19 2008, 03:04AM
O.o where did you get those SCR's? i got a 1200v 200A 5500A surge SCR thats 110$, i had it donated though.
Electroholic
Mon May 19 2008, 03:37AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
badastronaut wrote ...

Regarding the SCR's, the answer is not enough to handle your 5kJ cap bank. For pulsed applications, each SCR would be able to handle 3500 amps for under 10ms.

Can you annotate that diagram with actual data? What kind of uncertainty do you have with this method of measurement? How about posting the sound file? :)

What do the rails look like after firing?

5kJ is actually Muzzle energy, so yea the SCRs will only work once if you put them in the rail gun.
they would work for a mid size coil gun tho.
badastronaut
Tue May 20 2008, 03:42AM
I was looking at your speed measurement diagram, and it looks like that one is the case when the projectile is traveling slower than the speed of sound. I think they should look like these.
1211254977 222 FT45409 Slowerrsound

1211254977 222 FT45409 Fastersound

The speed of sound is about 343 m/s, and your projectile travels almost twice that.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: