Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Anyone else here have a hard time watching mythbusters?

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Coronafix
Fri Feb 22 2008, 02:15PM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
EastVoltResearch wrote ...

Who cares about the science . . .

I only watch for one reason - Kari

She's the redhead, right? Who can go past a redhead.
The problem I have is their stamp of approval or disapproval on a myth.
The science is by no means credible enough to be able to prove or disprove anything.
Other than that, it's wholly entertaining when they blow up something big
like a concrete mixer. cheesey
Mates
Fri Feb 22 2008, 03:17PM
Mates Registered Member #1025 Joined: Sun Sept 23 2007, 07:53PM
For example: I will never understand why they never tried an ice bullet made of dry ice (forzen CO2 or some other gass)...

Otherwise it belongs to the better type of TV entertainment (according to my scale)...

And yeah, Kari is hot chick wink
Experimentonomen
Fri Feb 22 2008, 06:37PM
Experimentonomen Registered Member #941 Joined: Sun Aug 05 2007, 10:09AM
I dont like kari, she act too weird.
Chris Russell
Sat Feb 23 2008, 06:37AM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
Interesting that this thread should come up. Jamie and Adam are going to be making an appearance at the University of Maine, and I have front row tickets to go see the "show." They're going to talk about their experiences on the show and possibly take some questions from the audience. They're also interested in getting ideas with regards to future myths to bust. If anyone has any ideas for questions to ask them or myths to bust, please let me know and I will try my best to pass them along. Note: no, I will not ask for Kari's phone number.

I personally enjoy the show a great deal. A lot of times the science is pretty laughable (the salami rocket was a perfect example, I remember shouting at the TV several times), and they come to some pretty incredible conclusions (talking to plants may help them grow? really? seriously?)... but I have to agree with TDU here. It's theatrics! Clearly the intent is to have fun and entertain first, and do science second. Nobody wants to see some people run some computer simulations, read some research papers, do a scale test, and then say "well, myth x clearly cannot be true, so no sense blowing anything up." If the science (or lack thereof) is that bad, just repeat to yourself "it's just a show, I should really just relax." Usually works for me.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sat Feb 23 2008, 08:06AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Hey Chris, maybe you can suggest the myth of resonant rise and see what they come up with. They'd probably try to find the world's biggest available Tesla Coil and make a show of prodding it, which would be fun to watch! heheheh.
Chris Russell
Sat Feb 23 2008, 08:27AM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
Well, kidding aside, a high voltage myth would be great fun, I just can't think of one offhand. Maybe they could play around with Tesla's non-Hertzian power transfer. Build two identical Tesla coils and see if they can transfer more energy than would be expected over various distances.

I know Dave Marshall and I would like for them to try tackling long delayed echoes on HF, but they probably won't take that one on.

Any other thoughts?
Tesladownunder
Sat Feb 23 2008, 08:36AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
OK with Joe Public hat on the biggest HV myth is that "lightning never strikes twice" in the same spot.

Set up the show with a 2MV Marx. Sparks onto a flat plane and record where they hit by scorch marks or video. Also set up a diaorama and set things alight like trees.
Hit a plane, car etc
Nice theater, big sparks, fire and action.

And I'd enjoy watching it too...

TDU
Bjørn
Sat Feb 23 2008, 11:15AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
Lack of science does not have to be a problem. It is pretending to do science that is a problem. Most members of this forum knows that pretending to do science is pseudo science.

The second problem is, who decides what is a myth? Is gravity a myth? That leads directly to the third problem.

If the presenter pretends to believe the myth even if he (and the viewers) knows the outcome then we have a problem. After that the presenter is stripped of credibility and is not able to convey serious information with the required authority.

"lightning never strikes twice" - Is this really a myth?
First of all it does not have to do with high voltage at all but with probability (math) and the human mind (psychology). It is a metaphor, not a myth. When people fail to understand the concept of a metaphor it becomes a misconception. Investigating it purely as a HV myth will only strengthen peoples misconceptions, I don't consider that to be a very commendable activity.

Even pretty dim people know that lightning has a tendency to strike the same objects repeatedly. You never see anyone climbing up a tower that has just been struck by lightning because they think they will be safer up there.

So what do we have then, a misconception that no one really believes in and that they have never bothered to think through. Clearly it will take more than the typical mythbuster formula to get away with it.

Now we arrive at the core, it takes talent, honesty and integrity to make something entertaining and of lasting value. Anyone here can blow up things, take sparks to their head or accidentally shoot themselves in the face and be a hit on youtube.
Tesladownunder
Sat Feb 23 2008, 01:00PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Bjørn Bæverfjord wrote ...

.....Now we arrive at the core, it takes talent, honesty and integrity to make something entertaining and of lasting value. Anyone here can blow up things, take sparks to their head or accidentally shoot themselves in the face and be a hit on youtube.
Not sure whether I should rise to the bait on this one since it seems to be personally directed at me. Perhaps "anyone" can but I am the only one I know on this list that has taken sparks on my head. "Anyone" can blow things up, but I think I have the largest cap bank at 16kJ on the list. These are quite different to shooting oneself in the face. Success on YouTube may not be your aspiration but it is to some.

Not everyone sees entertainment as you do. Frankly, honesty and integrity have less to do with entertainment compared with talent, personality, hard work, good camera work and production and a successful formula. There are not many shows about clever Bankers out there regarless of talent, honest and integrity.

TDU
Bjørn
Sat Feb 23 2008, 02:08PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
Not sure whether I should rise to the bait on this one since it seems to be personally directed at me. Perhaps "anyone" can but I am the only one I know on this list that has taken sparks on my head.
There is at least one member that made a video about it before you did. It was a good example to use because it illustrates my point that skill is not required to make successful entertainment. It is enough to be extreme, first or very very stupid. Neither of those are going to do any good when there is even the weakest link to science.

Not everyone sees entertainment as you do. Frankly, honesty and integrity have less to do with entertainment compared with talent, personality, hard work, good camera work and production and a successful formula. There are not many shows about clever Bankers out there regarless of talent, honest and integrity.
That is fine, but we are not talking about pure entertainment here, we are talking about something more. As soon as we start proving and disproving myths or presenting facts we don't have pure entertainment any more. That is where honesty and integrity comes in.

1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: