Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Triggering SCR's

Move Thread LAN_403
Simon
Mon Mar 13 2006, 02:41AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Tipp wrote ...

Aight, well I tried sample circuit #1, and the LED turns on, but the thyristor won't latch. Is this normal for a huge power SCR like this? I have a 5P4M SCR in a TO-220 package which latches normally when tested in this manner.

[Edit: Currently reading the wiki page, whoever drew those pictures has some mad paint skills cheesey ]

Maybe lightbulbs would be better for testing SCRs like this. That aside, your SCR seems to be okay and you seem to know how to make it go.

Regarding the wiki page. I'll just take that as a compliment. mistrust

If someone has a ready-made SCR testing schematic, having a copy on the wiki would be handy.
rupidust
Mon Mar 13 2006, 02:41AM
rupidust Banned
Registered Member #110 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:23AM
You are using 5P4M? That part is under powered. 8Arms and 80A surge.

Here is a schematic that illustrates marginal holding current I(hold) for SCR. When testing mininum condition for Latching, all components Vsupply, Vload, and SCR voltage Von-state need be considered.

Example:
For this SCR I(holding) = 80mA @24v. So why does this not work? 5vsupply - 3vled / 22 ohm(rlimit) = 90mA. The Led turns on but did not latch.

It worked after I factored in the on state voltage of the SCR, forcing me to lower the Rlimit.
Tipp
Mon Mar 13 2006, 10:32PM
Tipp Registered Member #215 Joined: Sun Feb 19 2006, 09:14PM
Yeah, the 5P4M was for LED experiments shades

Alright, well, I finally got the sucka working. There were 2 very amatur reasons why it wasnt working, which I shall rate on a scale of stupidness from 1 -10, 10 being the most stupid:

Reason 1: The power supply. I was working with 9 volts at 2.6 amps from a wall wart. All was fine and good, tested it on multimeter to make sure it was outputting correctly etc etc. I decided to hook up a 555 timer w/ LED right quick to see if anything else was wrong with it. Well, got it all hooked up and BAM! Nothing happened mistrust I've done this a million times, why isnt it working? I go over all connections and everything looks good. I replace the cap just to be sure. Still nothing. Hook it up to 9 volt battery. Works perfectly. Ok, so it's something with the power supply...

After playing around with it some more, I decide to hook the supply to an inductor [i]. I hear a humming. Uh-oh. Can someone say non-filtered? A medium size [470 uF] cap across the V+ and ground, and suddenly the 555 works. Explanation for the SCR not working with the supply before: because it was so un-smoothed, the 60 Hz got through and was turning the SCR OFF each cycle. Duh!

Stupidness = 7/10. Should have known this beforehand.

Reason 2: Like mentioned above, I was only running 30 mA [for an LED] through it, when the latching current is 400 mA!! A quick change to a crapload of parallel LED's solved this no problem.

Stupidness = 9/10. This was stated right in the datasheet, I might as well be blind cheesey

Well, now that I KNOW my beautiful SCR is working, it's time to work on other components for the coilgun. Thanks all for your help! I owe you all milk and cookies shades

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: