Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Minibrute Construction Thread / FAQs

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Austin
Wed Jan 02 2008, 12:02AM
Austin Registered Member #1169 Joined: Wed Dec 12 2007, 09:16AM
sounds good! I am actually quite excited to started. Besides it wouldn't be a hobby otherwise if you didn't drop loads of cash into something that you will get no return on!
Wirenut
Fri Jan 18 2008, 01:04AM
Wirenut Registered Member #141 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 01:14PM
Hi guys. I recently completed my miniBrute based DRSSTC built using EVR’s book and boards. This was my first solid state coil (I’ve built 5 sgtc’s). I was waiting to post until I had a few pics, but I don’t have a camera right now and figure you may be able to benefit from my experience.

First off, let me say that it was not easy, and I have a large collection of dead silicon (not because of any design flaws, but because of my mistakes), but I finally have it working right and I have replicated Dan’s 48” sparklength. There were times when I did not know what was wrong, and I was very frustrated at blowing something up every single time I turned it on.

One of the stupid mistakes I made was forgetting the 4.7uF decoupling cap across the power supply rails (c101 in the schematic). I think I missed it because it is on the half-bridge section of the schematic, but it is not part of the half-bridge board. I blew up 8 IGBT’s and 16 TVS’s before I figured out that I had forgotten a crucial part! Of course, I had to wait a week for it to arrive from Digikey.

Another thing was at some point, I melted the relay. This caused me to blow many TVS’s before I was able to figure this one out by checking the voltage at the bridge instead of at the power supply caps. Again, I had to wait a week for parts from Digikey.

Also, because of the way I laid everything out inside the base, my cooling fan did not supply adequate airflow through the mmc. They get very hot very quickly with no airflow, and as a result, I burned several up. An interesting thing is that I managed to partially melt a cap without knowing it and before I cranked the current up all the way. I could only manage about 32” sparklength with this partially melted cap, even after I cranked it up all the way. I had no idea that this was limiting my output until it finally failed completely and I replaced it. Sparklength immediately increased to 44” consistently with an occasional (once every 5 or so seconds) 48”.

I now run 3 parallel strings of 4 series of the “normal” .15 CDE mmc caps (I had them on hand) so that they won’t get quite so hot so quickly due to my poor-airflow layout.

One final note about the testing/ fine tuning – I was able to build this coil and get great results with only a multimeter (Of course you should follow Dan’s testing/tuning instructions with freq. generator and oscilloscope if you can), and I didn’t even use the same secondary. I used wintesla and javatc to match the required resonant frequency and coupling (by adjusting # of turns and height) with a slightly smaller than specified secondary coilform, and this was accurate enough to allow me to use the original primary specifications with no additional tuning.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask any questions.

-Freddie

p.s. I'd like to thank Daniel McCauley for taking the time to design excellent quality boards and publish professional quality books enabling a sstc n00b like me to build such an awesome coil on a first try!
Steve Ward
Fri Jan 18 2008, 03:33AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
I now run 3 parallel strings of 4 series of the “normal” .15 CDE mmc caps (I had them on hand) so that they won’t get quite so hot so quickly due to my poor-airflow layout.

No, id say Dan's design is over stressing the current capacity of the MMC, and adding more parallel strings was an appropriate upgrade. I could see problems if the MMC was enclosed and operating for hours, but if it needs a fan to cool film caps, that just sounds like too much dissipation in the capacitors for safe operation.

And from the description of the problems from missing the 4.7uF decoupling caps sounds like you have too much buss inductance with the electrolytics. My CM300 bridge actually doesnt use any film caps (nor does it require TVSs). Its just electrolytics, IGBTs, and lots of copper. This of course depends on having very high quality electrolytic caps for the bulk storage.
Austin
Fri Jan 18 2008, 05:25AM
Wirenut wrote ...

Hi guys. I recently completed my miniBrute based DRSSTC built using EVR’s book and boards. This was my first solid state coil (I’ve built 5 sgtc’s). I was waiting to post until I had a few pics, but I don’t have a camera right now and figure you may be able to benefit from my experience.

First off, let me say that it was not easy, and I have a large collection of dead silicon (not because of any design flaws, but because of my mistakes), but I finally have it working right and I have replicated Dan’s 48” sparklength. There were times when I did not know what was wrong, and I was very frustrated at blowing something up every single time I turned it on.

One of the stupid mistakes I made was forgetting the 4.7uF decoupling cap across the power supply rails (c101 in the schematic). I think I missed it because it is on the half-bridge section of the schematic, but it is not part of the half-bridge board. I blew up 8 IGBT’s and 16 TVS’s before I figured out that I had forgotten a crucial part! Of course, I had to wait a week for it to arrive from Digikey.

Another thing was at some point, I melted the relay. This caused me to blow many TVS’s before I was able to figure this one out by checking the voltage at the bridge instead of at the power supply caps. Again, I had to wait a week for parts from Digikey.

Also, because of the way I laid everything out inside the base, my cooling fan did not supply adequate airflow through the mmc. They get very hot very quickly with no airflow, and as a result, I burned several up. An interesting thing is that I managed to partially melt a cap without knowing it and before I cranked the current up all the way. I could only manage about 32” sparklength with this partially melted cap, even after I cranked it up all the way. I had no idea that this was limiting my output until it finally failed completely and I replaced it. Sparklength immediately increased to 44” consistently with an occasional (once every 5 or so seconds) 48”.

One final note about the testing/ fine tuning – I was able to build this coil and get great results with only a multimeter (Of course you should follow Dan’s testing/tuning instructions with freq. generator and oscilloscope if you can), and I didn’t even use the same secondary. I used wintesla and javatc to match the required resonant frequency and coupling (by adjusting # of turns and height) with a slightly smaller than specified secondary coilform, and this was accurate enough to allow me to use the original primary specifications with no additional tuning.

-Freddie

p.s. I'd like to thank Daniel McCauley for taking the time to design excellent quality boards and publish professional quality books enabling a sstc n00b like me to build such an awesome coil on a first try!

Thanks for the heads up! I just took a look at c101 on the schematic, and even though its in the schematic (but not on the board) I can see why it would be easy to miss. before i'm done building this thing i'm going to systematically check every part and compare them to the parts list to make sure that everything is there. those IGBT's are like $33 a piece and blowing up 8 of them can get very expensive.

My DRSSTC is starting to really come together now, I just ordered my 4" x 13" toroid and it should be here very soon. I'm excited because spun toroids seem hard to come by these days.

Again thank you for your suggestions, I would like to avoid as many complications as possible.
Austin
Fri Jan 18 2008, 05:34AM
Wirenut wrote ...

-Freddie

Wirenut what did you use for your high current bus bar? sheet of copper? wires? if so what gauge. Also i would love to see some pics once you get a working camera.
Wirenut
Fri Jan 18 2008, 05:57AM
Wirenut what did you use for your high current bus bar? sheet of copper? wires? if so what gauge. Also i would love to see some pics once you get a working camera.

I used fine stranded 8ga. wire that I purchased from a local car stereo shop. One of the reasons I like this type of wire is because it is very flexible. Lead length from the power supply caps to the bridge is about 4" on one side and about 8" on the other, so I imagine it's not the lowest inductance design, but it seems to work. As Steve W. mentioned above, this high inductance design may be the reason I was blowing IGBTs when I was missing the snubber cap. I also used this wire for the connections from the bridge to the mmc and also for the leads to the primary. This wire gets warm, but not warm enough for me to want to change it.

Believe me, I would love to post some pics, and will as soon as possible. I'll try to borrow a camera from a friend this weekend.
Austin
Fri Jan 18 2008, 06:32AM
Wirenut wrote ...

I used fine stranded 8ga. wire that I purchased from a local car stereo shop. One of the reasons I like this type of wire is because it is very flexible. Lead length from the power supply caps to the bridge is about 4" on one side and about 8" on the other, so I imagine it's not the lowest inductance design, but it seems to work. As Steve W. mentioned above, this high inductance design may be the reason I was blowing IGBTs when I was missing the snubber cap. I also used this wire for the connections from the bridge to the mmc and also for the leads to the primary. This wire gets warm, but not warm enough for me to want to change it.

Believe me, I would love to post some pics, and will as soon as possible. I'll try to borrow a camera from a friend this weekend.

How much inductance is too much? Is that something i'm going to have to "tinker" with until things stop blowing up? I don't think McCauley actually mentions how he designed his bus bar. Is there an effective way to shield the wires from inducing currents in other components?
Bennem
Fri Jan 18 2008, 06:58AM
Bennem Registered Member #154 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:28PM
I used copper sheeting cut down in size, to connect
my bus to my bridge on my last DRSSTC.
I 'm not sure if my layout is as 'low inductance friendly'
as it should due to my copper sheets not close to one another,
but it seems to work fine, and no blown IGBT's yet (touch wood....lol)

1200639480 154 FT36701 Image006
Wirenut
Fri Jan 18 2008, 12:18PM
How much inductance is too much? Is that something i'm going to have to "tinker" with until things stop blowing up?

I don't think so as long as you don't forget the snubber cap like I did. I think the rule of thumb is to try to keep the connections between the large electrolytics and the half-bridge as short as possible. I think to best way to do this is to put the caps and bridge head to head, but the caps I used were massive (nearly 1' long) so I had to put them sort of side by side with the bridge to get everything to fit inside the base.

Is there an effective way to shield the wires from inducing currents in other components?

I just used tightly twisted pair wires for the connections from the current transformers and to the gate transformer.
HV Enthusiast
Fri Jan 18 2008, 01:18PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
wrote ...

No, id say Dan's design is over stressing the current capacity of the MMC, and adding more parallel strings was an appropriate upgrade. I could see problems if the MMC was enclosed and operating for hours, but if it needs a fan to cool film caps, that just sounds like too much dissipation in the capacitors for safe operation.

Actually, not correct on two points.

Firstly, the design of the MMCs in the miniBrute are not being overstressed during specified operational parameters. They are designed to be used with a cooling fan as described in the design. When used with the shown cooling arrangement, the temperature of the MMC capacitors are well within the temperature limits (derated) of the components.

Secondly, just because a fan is required doesn't mean the capacitors are being overstressed. Technically, the caps don't care whether a fan is used or not. All they care about is what temperature they are operating at.

1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: