All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

X-ray :D

Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Thu Jan 17 2008, 12:56AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Linas wrote ...
i
i have very big x-ray tube, and have 200Kv sstc, is it posible make good x ray machine??
and how tu know, how many pm or nm (nanometre)electromagnetic radiation ?

There is no reason in principle why an X-ray tube could not be driven by a Tesla coil. In the early days of X-radiography, induction coils were widely used to excite X-ray tubes, and AC machines are still in use today, especially for portable work where the weight and size of the machine must be kept to a minimum.

I would forsee your biggest problem being in the matching of the coil to the load. An indirectly heated X-ray tube of the type shown in your picture will draw a sizeable anode current [have a relatively low impedance] and detune your coil to the extent that little power is produced.

What is to be done? You may get best results by running your X-ray tube under starvation conditions. Run the heater from a variable current controlled source, so you are able to gradually turn up the heater current until emission just begins. You may then increase it (so increasing the tube anode current) until you have reached the maximum anode current your Tesla can provide when loaded.

You might make things easier for yourself by first setting up your rig with the coil output wired to the tube anode, and tuning the coil (but at much reduced power) to get maximum tesla output with the unheated tube as the (largely capacative) load. Once you have achieved this, you might then start tweaking up the heater current until the tube starts to draw current.

Thermionic devices don't like it if you apply too much juice before they are warmed up, so I'd suggest only increasing both heater and anode currents in small increments until conditions are stable and X-ray emission starts.

As for the wavelength, the greater the excitation voltage, the smaller will be the value of the minimum wavelength limit. This is known as the Duane Hunt Relationship.

If we imagine that you have matched your coil to the tube anode and your coil is actually able to deliver 100KV to the tube, then from the Duane Hunt Law we can show that the mimimum wavelength produced will be 0.0124 nm.

Finally, you will most likely get some cold cathode emission from the tube if you apply anode voltage with no heater current, so don't assume it is safe just because it isn't heated. The impedance of the unheated tube will be very much higher, so there will be less voltage drop across the tube, and hence more energetic X-rays, though a lot less of em!

plazmatron
Thu Jan 31 2008, 09:54PM
plazmatron Registered Member #1134 Joined: Tue Nov 20 2007, 04:39PM
Nice tube!
Personally I would avoid the tesla coil approach, since results can be unpredictable.
A much better approach would be a ZVS driven flyback (b&w ac type) with an external multiplier. If you are unable to rotate the anode, you need to limit the anode current to under 5mA.

Looking at the tube, I'm guessing you could probably get away with running in air upto 60 kV, after that you will have to sink it in oil.
atomicthumbs
Fri Feb 01 2008, 06:41PM
atomicthumbs Registered Member #498 Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006, 06:00PM
Linas wrote ...

how to detect x-ray in house ?

Sudden appearances of malignant growths.

And geiger counters.
plazmatron
Tue Feb 05 2008, 10:40PM
Harry wrote ...

Some 'general purpose' beta/gamma GM tubes will fail to detect low-energy X-rays altogether, and none but those specially designed for the job should be relied upon for a meaningful indication of dose.

Low energy X-rays are the most hazardous to human health, so one can't afford to not detect them!

I checked my lowest energy x-ray source (10 keV) today, with a standard Civil Defense CD V700 geiger counter. Even with the counter set on the highest range it will happily peg the meter!

Whilst the reading from a common geiger counter cannot be relied upon, it will at least give a positive indication of the presence of x-rays.

CD V700 Geiger counters can be had off of eBay, at a very moderate cost, and I encourage anyone working with radiation, or suspecting that something may be emitting radiation, to purchase one.

Leslie
Proud Mary
Wed Feb 06 2008, 12:47AM
Is that with the 6993 GM tube, Leslie?
Conundrum
Wed Feb 06 2008, 07:48PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Harry wrote ...

Unless they are specifically designed for detecting the low energy X-rays likely to be produced here, GM tubes are not at all a good way to detect them.

X-ray sensitive GM tubes are constructed much like a longer version of an end-window alpha tube, but with a thicker mica window. A heavy fill gas like argon or krypton is usually used, and at a much higher pressure than in other types of GM tubes - typically 600 - 650 torr.

Some 'general purpose' beta/gamma GM tubes will fail to detect low-energy X-rays altogether, and none but those specially designed for the job should be relied upon for a meaningful indication of dose.

Low energy X-rays are the most hazardous to human health, so one can't afford to not detect them!

Hmm. Well, I discovered by accident that an off-the-shelf B&Q el cheapo CMOS camera makes a fairly nice spinthariscope, using Am-241 source and a thin mica window.

Might be worth trying this with a thin (beryllium?) window to exclude light, or (my own method) silver paint coated mica from a heatsink, cut down to minimal thickness. Pyrolytic graphite might work just as well being pure carbon, and is simpler to pare down (you can sand it!) :)

If anyone does get this working please let me know as my lab is currently in a mess.

regards, -A

"Bother" said Pooh, as he generated a black hole at the LHC...
plazmatron
Wed Feb 06 2008, 11:45PM
Yep, thats with the original 6993 tube (beta shield open).
Proud Mary
Sat Feb 09 2008, 05:00PM
For anyone who doesn't know of it already, the Rad Pro Calculator For Desk Top PCs (freeware) allows you to enter X-ray tube voltage, tube current, a variety of metal filters of graduated thickness, and a variety of shielding materials, to estimate the dose rate at a given distance.

It can do a lot of other interesting things besides.

Link2

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: