Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Red Alert Tesla project

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Reaching
Sun Sept 30 2007, 01:43PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
i dont understand, why do you want to "simulate" a stategy games fiction on teslacoils. those threads are tend to drop the seriousness of this forum and his members. what do you guess a guy would think if he just searches the forum for pics without reading the text?? I mean, this thread has the potential to make a joke out of serious´s pictures in the eye of an amateur. well, its just a fake, but do you mean a guy would know this? NO!

Seriously, this thread belongs to chatting or somewhere else, not to teslacoils
ragnar
Sun Sept 30 2007, 04:32PM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
I'll have to admit that I rather enjoy the trick photography.

When I moved into my apartment this year, my flatmate's only exposure to Tesla coils was RA1, the popular computer game. He got pretty excited when he saw my 13.56MHz coils and my CW stuff, and even more fired up when I used an interrupter. Quite often he gives me suggestions involving high voltage for photographic effect, but because I don't have the inclination or my own camera, I don't do it.

Peter is (to my knowledge) the only person who has put in the effort (and 90% of that effort probably isn't apparent in the pictures) to 'mock up' a decent real-world imitation of the conceptual RA1 Tesla coil. I think it's a neat private joke, and we can all have a giggle at nobody's expense.

The "long exposure and draw-wire" may be obvious at first sight to us, but the coil and the sparks really do look great. Keep it up, Peter wink
Tesladownunder
Sun Sept 30 2007, 04:55PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Reaching wrote ...

i dont understand, why do you want to "simulate" a stategy games fiction on teslacoils. those threads are tend to drop the seriousness of this forum and his members. what do you guess a guy would think if he just searches the forum for pics without reading the text?? I mean, this thread has the potential to make a joke out of serious´s pictures in the eye of an amateur. well, its just a fake, but do you mean a guy would know this? NO!
Seriously, this thread belongs to chatting or somewhere else, not to teslacoils
Hmmm.. Harsh criticism of new Tesla techniques not previously seen on the net.
Perhaps you would criticize Tesla himself for using a double exposure in his famous spark photo. Or perhaps you would keep your own exposures to 1/30th second rather than your unrealistic spark photos like in your avatar which are clearly long exposures.

If you don't understand people's interest in Red Alert, and you can't understnd why I might have an interest in this then you will have no interest in this thread and you can exercise your right not to visit it.

Are you saying my "fake" photos make a joke out of serious Tesla photos? So name me a more serious Tesla photographer than I am. My TC photos are probably taken with a similar exposure time to yours, yet mine are "fake". That is a pretty solid insult.

You are concerned about people just searching 4HV for pictures. People looking for Tesla coils Google directly for the 13000 pictures (of which my "fake" Tesla coil on a car accounts for about 1% of these). That won't take them here to 4hV which Google picks up 300 images only.

If you feel I should be sent to Chatting or worse, then discuss this with the mods or set up a poll to find out if others feel as you do. If you don't feel strongly about this then it is getting a bit close to flaming for my liking.

TDU

Reaching
Sun Sept 30 2007, 05:32PM
maybe a bit harsh

but, there are so many fools out there looking at your pics and saying "wow a big military defence people grilling mashine or so" . i see it everywhere and all day on my own forum which has over 240 german members interestet in teslacoils. i always wanted to show the "nature" of teslacoils. your pics are great and i like them, but i worry that many people out there are not concerned about "what they are"... they look at the pics found on google or somewhere else and look like this O_o ... long exposures etc,, everyone here photographes their teslacoils with a long exposure. you have great ideas, but why do you explain how youve done it so lately in this thread? are you like the comments of people thinking about how you´ve done it? and if thats not enough you compare a teslacoil with a men killing mashine in one of thousand silly computergames digging out the old imbecility, teslacoils can kill people over a long distance etc.
you´re right. this thread is nothing for me, and i doubt that there are other members who are thinking like me about this.
fact is, we, as a community have the task to show people what teslacoils really are.
you, on the other side, show people with your pics what a teslacoil really isnt
Kizmo
Sun Sept 30 2007, 07:15PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
http://4hv.org/e107_files/public/1191080970_10_FT0_teslara18fttrial1000.jpg

On the top end of your secondary, that bright spot, is that inter turn arcing or is that just reflection? I just broke my secondary with that kind of failure :)
Tesladownunder
Sun Sept 30 2007, 07:27PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Reaching, your attitude has been shared by others For example Steve Connor was unhappy about me giving a name to an effect (Eye of Sauron) until he remembered his most recent TC is named after a Norse gods hammer confused

Some people on this forum should realise there are possibilities after you use the science to get the sparks that you want. Many seem to stop there which is fine. Some, however go on to actually use the coil to do other things. However, the public, which you seem to imply are idiots that have to be educated, are by and large, NOT interested in another Tesla coils sparks or the science behind them.

On the other hand they ARE interested in the Art of Tesla coils. Witness the spectacular success of Steve Ward's musical Tesla coil. The public understand music and this was a new approach to it. Sure it is not new stuff ( I bought a plasmasonic board from EVR years ago) but it was in the right place at the right time.

Similarly, my Tesla coil on a car was recognisable as a thief deterrant that people can relate to. Neither relies on a knowledge of the science.

Similarly again, the worlds number one real time strategy game had a Tesla coil that was understandable. It zapped you if you got too close. A good message, I think.

However people who are interested will come to the site or to blogs and some will end up with a better knowledge of the science.

So I have chosen to go down that path. I am purely interested in getting the best single exposure picture that is instantly recognisable as a Red Alert Tesla coil. It will still be a photo and not a computer graphic. It will be just as valid as your photos that don't represent what you would see in a video. Once I have the final product, I will put it out to the public. I anticipate it will be popular and hopefully again have enough website hits to slow 4HV down again.

I put my construction and progress on 4HV as there are some people who will find the techniques and construction interesting. This is after all new. You have decided new and bad. I will let the public decide.

Kizmo, you are right about the short between adjacent windings. I was horrified to see it. I scratched around with a pocket knife and gave it a dob of polyurethane and have not had further problems yet. It will probably breakdown in time and I will have to remove a winding. Unfortunately, it is on the dark side of the coil and I might not notice it letting the smoke out.

TDU
Kizmo
Sun Sept 30 2007, 07:48PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
--offtopic--
Tesladownunder wrote ...

Kizmo, you are right about the short between adjacent windings. I was horrified to see it. I scratched around with a pocket knife and gave it a dob of polyurethane and have not had further problems yet. It will probably breakdown in time and I will have to remove a winding. Unfortunately, it is on the dark side of the coil and I might not notice it letting the smoke out.

TDU
I had exactly same kind of thing with my 8" coil. I was behind camera and failure was at opposite side. My brother noticed it first and he cut the power but it was too late. I got now few carbon tracks and deep burns around my secondary. I'm going to try fix that, i just unwound damaged part away and i will grind all carbon and burn marks away, fill those holes with epoxy and coat that with few layers of polyurethane. Then i just re-wind it with new wire and put few layers of polyurethane over it :)

I have no idea if it works but i think i have nothing to loose.

--offtopic--

But anyway, nice pictures! amazed
Reaching
Sun Sept 30 2007, 10:27PM
TDU. If youre up for more hits on your pics, do it... share your stuff with other people. yeah, those people who tell their parents and friends that they´ve seen a teslacoil which produces balls of lightning and 19 foot long streamers like in red alert that can kill people etc. dont you think theres enough confusing commercial stuff out there?
be proud of living in australia. would ive done something like this here in germany, a swat team already had inprisoned me.
it would have been in all news that a mad scientist build a people killing teslacoil like in red alert. the politicians would have released a law against those videogames. be proud of living on that continent with the smallest population per km²...

a guy on my forum who uploaded a video of his coilgun had been arrestet a few days later. they took his coilgun and other stuff just for the video on youtube!!!
Be careful with this pics and be careful about yourself, especially about your good name here in this community.
Capper
Sun Sept 30 2007, 10:49PM
Capper Registered Member #914 Joined: Fri Jul 20 2007, 06:22PM
Well, I'm sorry if I upset you with my comment. I looked at the photo and I could tell it wasn't a 19 foot spark. Sparks don't just end at places (and 90 degree angles) with nice hot thick white spots - I know, because I've only been able to make 12 footers myself, and that was at 25kW of input power. I've also spent quite a bit of time taking pictures of sparks, and I know what they look like.

If you want to make a 19 foot spark, tape a few dozen CDs to some thick fishing line and string it between the hoop and the coil. It looks cool, but makes a mess of the driveway (and coats the secondary with tiny pieces of aluminum).

Someone did it once with a sheet of mylar coated with some sort of magnetic material at one of the Cheesehead 'thons way back also.

C@P
ragnar
Mon Oct 01 2007, 01:16AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
I'd prefer the appropriate comments on this thread to be moved into an appropriate thread in the moderating forum.

wrote ...
...we, as a community have the task to show people what teslacoils really are...
No, we don't have a "task" to educate anyone. We are not accountable to the whims of "the people". We as one "community" do not owe or submit to the ignorance of another "community".

wrote ...
...you, on the other side, show people with your pics what a teslacoil really isnt...
Peter kindly offers to show his neat photographic techniques in a closed-membership forum. Aren't we lucky?

I don't believe we are any "safer" in Australia than in the US or Germany from overzealous public servants and law enforcers. Comparing a long-exposure photo of a Tesla coil to a video of a coil gun is a bit of a long shot.

I'd suspect that fabricating a device that launches a projectile faster than a certain velocity (or otherwise defined) may be plainly ILLEGAL in Germany. It should come as no surprise that the police exercised their power to confiscate it.

A coil gun is a GUN, intended to launch a projectile as fast as possible. A Tesla coil is often-used in theatrical special effects. Compare the tangible killing power.
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: