All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shaun (34)
Spedy (30)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Amateur coil gun approach sound barrier

Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Sun Mar 05 2006, 08:53PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Wow, 300m/s is still a very impressive result, even if "der Schallmauer ist noch nicht geknackt" wink I know just enough German to be amazed at the stuff pulslaser is doing, and if you don't know any, it's probably worth struggling with a machine translator.

I think spark gaps are still the best switch for this device though. The traces I saw on the website showed that the coil current was a high frequency oscillation, whose di/dt would probably be too high for a puck SCR. If you lowered the frequency to make more efficient use of the SCR, then I think the induction wouldn't work so well.
Madgyver
Sun Mar 05 2006, 09:49PM
Madgyver Registered Member #177 Joined: Wed Feb 15 2006, 02:16PM
Holy cow, you said you were working on it earlier, but I didn't think to see something so soon. I am looking forward to see it for real. amazed

Very nice. Are the caps from the "MIR" Shop in Schillerstrasse? I have seen some of these types there.

Besides, I am worried that you start to get into speeds were legal problems could occure. Any thoughts so far? dead

P.S. I thought railgun was too loud for your neighbours, would a super sonic boom be such a big difference? cheesey
pulslaser
Mon Mar 06 2006, 07:45PM
pulslaser Registered Member #156 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 07:04PM
Hi Madgyver,
you're welcome. The machine is at my home in munic Sendling Liesel Beckmann Str. 2. That's in the south of munic, near the Luise Kieselbach Platz at the "Mittlerer Ring". You can reach it by U-Bahn U6 to Partnach Platz or S-Bahn S7 to Mittelsendling.
It didn't bought the capacitors from "Mir", I got them from some old ruby lasers. Because I had a lot of them I even offered some to "Mir" for selling but the weren't interessed.
I didn't though about legality until now. I think the law isn't well defined in these cases.
To my sadness I didn't reach speed velocity, so there no super sonic boom, but of course the is some noise, but not to compare with explosion from 10kJ capacitor discharge happening in plasma driven railgun
Quantum Singularity
Wed Mar 08 2006, 01:58AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Congrats pulslaser, even though you might not have broke the sound barrier it is still very fast. Your coilgun is more like what I want to build. Spark gaps are what I am more familiar with (several tesla coils, exploading wire, can crusher, disk launcher, etc...) and it appears that in your configuration the spark gap switches seem to be good enough. I was thinking about building a traditional coil gun with steel projectile but it seems the induction type is more like what I have been experimenting with my disk launcher and is simpler in terms of timing and pulse length.

And tell me if I am correct - I am not an expert but when I was working on my disk launcher a few years ago I came to the conclusion that for this type of launcher you would want maximum coupling between coil & projectile and the greatest rate of change of the magnetic flux lines passing through the projectile? I guess what I am getting at is unlike the railgun discussion where you dont want such a quick pulse (using lower voltage caps all stacked in parallel) this type of launcher would fair better with higher voltage and less capacitance. With the practical limit being when too fast of a pulse causing inertia and air resistence to degrade performance. Does this sound correct?

I am still going to build a monster single stage but I might also work on a smaller multistage gun.
pulslaser
Wed Mar 08 2006, 05:52PM
Hi Tristan,
first of all thank's to youre congrats. The trigger gap is located behind the coil and the projectil triggers when it leaves the coil but trailing parts is still in the coil. I haven't implemented any delay circuit. I cannot measured the effective delay but I think it should be smaller than some microseconds. Of course You come in trouble with very high speeds, so one should place the trigger gap as close as possible behind the coil. I have tried to compensate the increasing speed by making the coils of the last stages shorter in the hope that even with late triggering there is some part of projectil still in the coil. I don't know if this makes any difference.
I think shortest possible pulse should be used, because the region where the magnetic field influence the projectil is very small. Althoug I haven't made any simulation I think field density is highest in/near the coil and degrades quickly with distance from the coil. But I have to admit that I didn't think about a upper limit by air resistance and inertia.
Like You I think that spark gaps are the best choice in this Voltage range, because there cheap and easily homemade. If I would have enough money to spend I would prefer to use ignitron, this kind I used in my railgun. But they are very expensive and seldom sold in ebay, over some years I just got two of them.
Best wished four your next gun
Quantum Singularity
Wed Mar 08 2006, 06:45PM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Ahh, I C. And for anyone wondering, pulslaser was answering questions I asked him in an email.

Another questions... you say your not sure about the delay in triggering especially with very high speed projectiles. You have it set to trigger as fast as it can by your design. Have you tried testing it by not running all the stages to tell the effect of each stage? Like run just the first stage and record data, then the first two stages, then the first 3 stages... and so on. You could calculate the energy transfer of each stage and determine maybe if the later stages with the faster velocity arent transfering as much energy to the projectile. And if it was found that triggering want fast enough could you put the trigger inside the coil slightly instead of after it? Like space out the last few turns just slightly and put the triggering in the small gap?
pulslaser
Wed Mar 15 2006, 11:31PM
I have made this measurements by recording the flash of the spark gaps with a photocell. Measuring the time the projectil needs to reach and trigger the next gap and knowing the distance I can calculate the speed increase by each coil. It's nice to see that the data compare well with the theoretical increase of speed by assuming a constant energie deposition at each stage .
Next I will change my projectil tube from some aluminium alloy to pure aluminium. A friend told me that there may be a possible increase up to 100% because of lower resistance.

sorry, I forgot to upload the images and didn't find possibilty to re edit the post

[Mod edit: double post merged.]

1142465480 156 FT2913 Graph

1142465480 156 FT2913 Oszi

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: