Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

"Inazuma" Mk.1 DRSSTC

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Wed Jul 11 2007, 01:46PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hi James,

Did you read the manual I published for the PLL driver? Link2

I'd very much appreciate if you could try the tuning procedure in there and tell me if it works! :P It needs beta testing. BTW, every coil I ever made requred the loop gain trimmer turned to minimum resistance (ie, maximum loop gain)

Basically the tuning lights only come on if the phase detector tries to move the VCO outside of the allowable range. So when the coil is in tune, both lights go out. If you have the phasing backwards, you should find it impossible to get the lights to go out. (IIRC.)

thedatastream
Wed Jul 11 2007, 08:34PM
thedatastream Registered Member #505 Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006, 06:42PM
Hi Steve,

Yes, I've been using the manual to set up the coil, it's very useful. However I think that from what I've read (and also based on your reply) that I've got some wiring problems somewhere in the PLL.

My measurements show that the frequency can be set using the trimmer pot, but that moving the tap point does not affect the operating frequency. That either points to the current transformer or something in the VCO loop that isn't wired correctly. Given that the tuning LEDs don't light whatever the phasing of the CT I'm inclined to look at the VCO loop first.

Bugger. Time to do some fixing I guess. Thanks for the feedback Steve, I shall use the tuning guide once I've got the circuitry working properly and If I have any suggestions I'll be sure to feed them back to you. Thanks for documenting it in the first place.

Anyone got any comments on the waveforms?

Thanks
James
Steve Ward
Wed Jul 11 2007, 09:51PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Im not sure about the 280A at only 22V input, its not possible you grabbed the wrong resistor (say 4.7 ohms?) on accident?

Where are you probing on the half-bridge to see that waveform? If its the supply rails, then im pretty surprised because you have a very nice lytic on there which should keep it pretty solid.
Steve Conner
Wed Jul 11 2007, 11:35PM
The waveform probably is fine, it's likely to be the scope probe and leads picking up the magnetic field from the primary that makes it look so awful.

BTW, sorry if the circuit isn't working, I always find it difficult to troubleshoot stuff like that over the internet, but I'll do my best! :s

Check the VCO control voltage at IC12 pin 7 with a scope. It should normally be at half the supply rail, so 7.5V on the boards I built. If you deliberately mistune it, you should be able to see the voltage ramp up or down over the course of a burst as it tries to retune itself, and finally fall back to 7.5V at the end of the burst. The tuning lights don't come on until it gets +/-0.7V away from 7.5V.
thedatastream
Thu Jul 12 2007, 07:18AM
The voltage was measured on one leg of the bridge relative to the bridge -ve supply. The spikes look like switching noise, some of which is caused by the small amount of deadtime that is purposefully introduced by the controller. There appears to be an underlying sine wave that is 90º out of phase with the capacitor current which doesn't sound too unreasonable.

As for the current transformer, I've used 10 x 4R7s in parallel to give 0.47 ohms. The sums say 10mV/A, the scope was set to 10:1 divide so the 22.81V is actually 2.281V. This gives 228A pk-pk or just 114A peak. 25V supply, 350us burst, current from supply was a couple of amps IIRC. I will verify with a Tektronix current probe later today. All these measurements were made without a secondary in place, just the primary tank.

As for the circuit, don't worry, it's more likely my dodgy soldering than your design:P I'll give your suggestions a spin at lunchtime.

Thanks for all the input
James

EDIT

OK, I found the problems - my dodgy soldering, I told you!

• PLL feedback loop took output from pin 1 not pin 2
  • Solder short across pins 1 and 2 of the integrator capacitor in the VCO feedback
  • Loop gain pot output was connected to pin 4 of the op-amp (ground) instead of pin 2

Once these were fixed, the tuning LED flickers when I turn it on and the PLL appears to track the frequency. I can now follow Steve's tuning guide properly.

Thanks again
James

thedatastream
Sat Jul 21 2007, 08:50PM
I finished winding the secondary this week, the motorised jig was rubbish for turning the coilform when winding and putting the wire on under tension so I wound it by hand - 2.5 hours in total. The motor came in very handy for turning the coilform when applying two coats of varnish though!

Overall quality of the coilform isn't fanatastic, there are a few lumps and bumps due to scuffs in the gas pipe coil former I used. t'll be reet.

I'm going to take the components into work, assemble the complete system and fire (did I say fire?) it up. I'm expecting sparks (and hopefully no explosions) before the week is out...
Bennem
Sat Jul 21 2007, 08:59PM
Bennem Registered Member #154 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:28PM
Hi James,

All the best with 'the fire up' at work
I take it that you don't work in an office?......lol
Don't forget to take pics!

Mel
thedatastream
Sun Jul 22 2007, 07:49AM
Bennem wrote ...

All the best with 'the fire up' at work
I take it that you don't work in an office?......lol

I do work in an office, but there is a small workshop in one corner of the building away from everything else that is as good a place as any for initial testing. When everything is working properly and it comes to the bigger sparks, I shall take everything home because I have a fairly large garden!

Besides, people at the office have sen the base unit on my desk and want to see a demo at work!
thedatastream
Tue Jul 24 2007, 01:34PM
I'm just running up the system at low voltages (sub 30V) and with a scope probe about 8 inches from the top and at the primary tapping point calculated to give the same resonant frequency as the secondary I get this characteristic. No breakout occurred during this testing. EDIT: Also, I haven't changed the tuning (frequency) control since I added the secondary. This might be the problem?

1185283299 505 FT24811 Top Voltage Out Of Tune

I've tried moving the tap point a bit (±1 turn) but it doesn't seem to go away.

Questions:
1) Is this behaviour expected for a DRSSTC? I thought they operated in a pulsed CW mode rather than the energy sloshing about between primary and secondary.

2) Should I be trying to move the tap point around / changing my value of MMC to try and remove this notching?

3) I know that frequency splitting causes a lower pole and an upper pole and that the lower pole is generally preferred (increase number of turns on primary by moving tap). How do I know when I'm tuned to the lower pole? Will the PLL driver just select the dominant pole and run at that frequency?

4) Will this notching disappear when breakout and streamer loading occurs?

Thanks in advance
James
Steve Conner
Tue Jul 24 2007, 02:20PM
Unlike the ordinary feedback driver, the PLL driver chooses whichever pole you tell it to. Now the secondary is in place, as you adjust the tuning control you should find two settings where both tuning lights go out. These are your two pole frequencies.

I always seemed to get the best results by choosing the higher of the two frequencies, but with the primary tuned to a slightly lower frequency than the secondary. Choosing the lower one would always cause violent flashovers for some reason.

I think certain settings of the primary tap, combined with a low coupling coefficient, will make it impossible to get the lights to go out at one or other of the pole frequencies. But I don't know much more at this point.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: