Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Tuned loop for AM broadcast reception

Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Mon Oct 02 2017, 06:25AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
What about using the glass from dead Samsung phones as it has a graphite backing with good electromagnetic properties similar to a super-ferrite rod!
Its a minor hassle to get these out and all it would need is some thin clear parcel tape to hold the glass together (I used S6) then use a printer coil former.
Limitless quantity of these so you could make a huge antenna this way.

Also it does not by any means need to be new wire, wire salvaged from an old relay would work fine.
I did this for my recent coil and it works very well indeed.

Alternate *3, take the graphene layer off the screens with parcel tape and wind it round the former.
4 layers with thin enough tape should work fine and be about 1/10 the weight of a ferrite rod but so much larger.
Proud Mary
Wed Oct 11 2017, 02:26PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Chris Trask, mentioned by Mr Russell, does have some really good designs for a varactor tuned mag loop, and a broadband mag loop, where great attention is paid to matching the very lo-Z| loop to the feeder.

Link2

Link2

Link2

Conundrum
Sun Oct 15 2017, 06:44AM
making progress.
Apart from laboriously making Litz wire *by hand* can someone suggest a source?
I found that old microwave transformers and some TVs have Litz primaries but
normally they are glued together.
klugesmith
Sun Mar 11 2018, 07:39AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Don't know if this should go on Projects forum.
I'm about to make a new loop antenna, using a laminated wooden hoop as a form.
1520752881 2099 FT180602 Dscn0141

The hoop is wound from four turns of white-surfaced hardboard about 1/8" (3 mm) thick. Link2 The material is heavy and not very strong, flexible, or water-tolerant. I foolishly bought a sheet 'cause it was on clearance, for less than $4. Mostly bonded with polyurethane construction adhesive, from a large caulking-gun tube.
1520753548 2099 FT180602 Dscn0079
You may have seen the round form here: Link2 At the beginning and end, I tapered the material and stuck it down with water-based wood glue.
1520753548 2099 FT180602 Dscn0080

Conundrum
Sun Mar 11 2018, 08:10AM
Might have a go at this now some nice person on 4HV sent me some.

Hint: if you're linking sections of wire, try and make more than one connection. 8 seems to be the minimum but each one reduces overall noise and increases Q.
Also relevant, I can probably track down a few ferrite rods here if you wanted to make an all-ferrite coil. Just be sure to leave a gap in the foil shield!

Also relevant, try and use high silver content (Ag) solder if possible as though somewhat toxic it does work well for RF applications.
SnAgCu is adequate but sucks only slightly less than 60/40.
klugesmith
Mon Mar 26 2018, 05:05PM
Had an opportunity to measure the old rectangular loop on a digitally-controlled LCR bridge.
For f=75 kHz on up, wrote down the vector impedance magnitude and angle.

Charted here, next to similar measurements on a compact toroidal inductor that might become used as a current transformer.
1522082749 2099 FT180602 Vector Z
Vertical axis labels for angle, -180° to +180° linear, were cut off by the snip. H axis is f in kHz.

The toroid chart looks like textbook picture of L with parasitic C in parallel.
At low frequencies, with angle near +90°, it matches a 2.3 mH inductor (red line).
At high frequencies, with angle near -90°, it’s like a 52 pF capacitor (green line), if my arithmetic is right.
Self resonant frequency is 462 kHz; the angle reading is a sensitive indicator of that.

The loop chart has low frequency asymptote matching 558 uH inductor (red line). This time the green line is a hypothetical 126 pF capacitor to resonate with the coil at 600 kHz. Starting in the low MHz, we see wild excursions of the impedance. I think from various resonances in the 21-turn coil due to irregular spacing, after half the turns had literally fallen off the form and only roughly been put back in place.

With that much data, it was time to sacrifice the old coil and use its wire on a nice new form. Perimeter length is about the same, but it’s round so it encloses a larger area. The stubby solenoid's length and turn spacing (6 per inch) match the original rectangle.
The wire transplant was done while watching neighbor's dog, and watching Get Out on their big TV. By good luck, the old wire filled the form with about the same about left over at the finish; length per turn matched within 1%!
1522083619 2099 FT180602 Dscn0206r

1522083804 2099 FT180602 Dscn0207

The turn spacers are blocks of plastic foam, each with 21 slots cut by knife.
Conundrum
Tue Mar 27 2018, 06:10AM
Nice!
Wonder if anyone else has used zrzsg's graphene (aka heatsink graphite from phones) to make DIY RF antennas?
Mine seemed to work well and extended range on NFC, for lower frequencies it should be even better.
klugesmith
Fri Mar 30 2018, 02:59AM
Does anyone else like the round coil's simple wooden stand?
1522375736 2099 FT180602 Pict0023

Today's vector impedance sweep shows an inductance of 614 uH. That's 10% higher than the old rectangular coil, which had the same turns count, wire length per turn, and wire spacing.
1522376237 2099 FT180602 Vector Z2

At the high end there's now a nice simple self-resonance at 1.92 MHz, indicating effective C of about 11.2 pF. Then the complex numbers stop behaving simply, just as with the old coil.

The coil was good at detecting me. Link2 At 1.92 MHz the angle reading was -5° with me sitting on a chair, close enough to push buttons. With one hand up near center of coil, angle went up to +60°. With me standing as far away as I could still read the display, angle was -14°.

Looks like the resonant C value for 60 kHz (WWVB) would be around 11.5 nF.
I figure that for AM broadcast band, this coil wants C adjustable between 16 and 140 pF. To make the most of the old 365 pF tuning capacitor, how about tapping the coil for reduced inductance, with the remaining turns left in place?

Sulaiman
Fri Mar 30 2018, 11:44AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I think that your coil is probably even better than measured - so close to earthed metal cheesey

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: