All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Long time since I've been here looking for help with project

Move Thread LAN_403
Platinum
Mon Jun 26 2017, 11:34AM
Platinum Registered Member #3926 Joined: Fri Jun 03 2011, 08:32PM
Hey Finn, what do you think of Hawk tool TIG machines? They also seem to be good value judging by the looks of them and the torch, they range anywhere from 160 amp basic machines to ACDC full waveform and pulse control 220 setups at a fraction of the cost of say a Miller or Lincoln, also i was told Parweld are Chinese as are thermalarc

Link2

Also their torches looks almost identical to a WP26 I've used in work
Finn Hammer
Mon Jun 26 2017, 07:05PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Platinum wrote ...

Hey Finn, what do you think of Hawk tool TIG machines? They also seem to be good value judging by the looks of them and the torch, they range anywhere from 160 amp basic machines to ACDC full waveform and pulse control 220 setups at a fraction of the cost of say a Miller or Lincoln, also i was told Parweld are Chinese as are thermalarc

Link2

Also their torches looks almost identical to a WP26 I've used in work

I don't particularly like the Hawk machine you just linked to, it is too basic for my liking.

What I look for these days, is a microprocessor controlled machine, that has pulse welding ability, and a memory function, so you can store "lucky" settings (or deliberately usefull settings, if you like), and start up from there, instead of having to dial parameters in, from scratch, at every startup.
Link2

A machine like this has a control panel like the machine I just linked to, and quite many machines seem to share the same layout. It enables you to make a custom setup of parameters, where you control gas pre flow, start current, ramp up time, welding current, ramp down time, end current, gas post flow, as well as pulse frequency and pulse duty cycle.
This German distributor has the best of the crop, price taken into account, at least that is what I seem to have found. If you intend to weld exhaust parts in thin wall tubing, pulse can be an asset, although a foot pedal probably is the better option for one off welds. That is what I have found recently.
A foot pedal is an amazing asset to a welder. If you weld every day, you pretty much know what amperage is required for the job, just by looking at it, but I don't weld every day anymore, so being able to adjust the power on the fly, in real time, has made me a very happy welder indeed.

I am working on a Fusor project, and need to make vacuum tight work on stainless steel, often on thin wall tubing, and the pedal really helps get the right heat into the weld.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Platinum
Tue Jun 27 2017, 09:36AM
Platinum Registered Member #3926 Joined: Fri Jun 03 2011, 08:32PM
Thanks for sharing Finn. I've seen one about 320 pound for a 180amp seems good value, any other welding machine with the ability to memorize settings and pulse would be bordering 900 pounds or there abouts. One last question have you or anybody else here used any of the Chinese plasma cutters? Some say they last a few years some say a few seconds of cutting and they are finished

Also a pedal would make a world of difference in thin wall tubing as would slope down/up and pre/post flow. I've never really used pulse extensively but itndpes help to weld thinner walled intricate fabrications with more speed

Cheers
Kolas
Fri Jul 14 2017, 12:52AM
Kolas Registered Member #102 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:15PM
Yeah, I have to agree with the pedal note. I was using one for aluminum (as a student) and thought I hated the pedal. Later, I realized it was the aluminum that I hated. It just seems to jump out of the puddle onto the electrode. WTF?
Afterwards, I gave the pedal a second try with stainless. What do you know; I really LOVE the pedal!!! I've always been one to believe that travel rate and puddle quenching from added filler metal can compensate for welding current, (to some degree) but no more puddle cracking.

When it comes to cheap Chinese stuff; the old adage is definitely true with these devices: you get what you pay for. With that said. Plasma cutters are purposefully designed to destroy "consumables."

As far as an HF/HV starter is concerned. I'd recommend caution when adding one to a discrete machine. But do note that welders are designed to manage HV spikes innately as the output inductor can/will cause a spike if the arc is broken due to excessive gaping while at welding current. Since this is generally the way lift arc units must be terminated, they happen quite frequently. In addition to that; the HF/HV pulse is not needed continuously unless you're using AC.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: