Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Microwave mixer diode substitutes

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Sat May 20 2017, 11:48PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Sulaiman, the BAT15s came super quick in the post today, and they are even smaller than in my nightmares!

My first step has been to send off for a better magnifying glass! smile
Sulaiman
Sun May 21 2017, 08:51AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
O O
\_/

can't say I didn't warn you cheesey

At work, stupid-small smd components have come to be known as 'fleas'
I could not understand why for months, I thought it was because of the size only,
until I found how easy it is for them to leap over a foot through the air when handled by tweezers,
they usually land in a pile of something then hide cheesey

I remember my first job in the early '70's when an older colleague was complaining to me about
having had to move from 0.15" veroboard to the stupidly small pitch of 0.1" due to dil ICs
... now I'm the grumpy old guy !

I think that miniaturisation is just a sneaky way of removing older, higher-earning, poorer-sighted employees
to make way for younger, cheaper, more energetic youth.
It's a conspiracy !
Proud Mary
Mon May 22 2017, 06:30PM
Here is the circuit diagram of my first UHF/SHF project.

The author, Mr Paul Wade, N1BWT, relates that he took the circuit of an existing VHF VSWR meter which was good up to 450MHz, and effectively translated it into the UHF/SHV domain by specifying all components as chips.

N1BWT comments: "Now that we've gone to the effort of using chip components and making the VSWR bridge as small as possible, how much have we gained? With good 50Ω SMA terminations at J2 and J3, return loss was greater than 30 dB (VSWR > 1.2) from 10 MHz through 2304 MHz, while at 3456 MHz, the return loss was 22 dB (VSWR = 1.9), so performance is degraded but still usable. However, at 5760 MHz it was worthless. So we have increased the upper frequency limit to at least five times as high as the original version. It is possible that this style of VSWR bridge could be pushed even higher in frequency by making it even smaller, using tiny (and more expensive) microwave chip capacitors and resistors."

Exciting stuff, but it means I've got to learn what for me is a new technology.
1495477811 543 FT179817 Uhf Vswr Bridge
Sulaiman
Mon May 22 2017, 07:50PM
I think that you may be employing the wrong topology,
google stripline swr e.g. Link2
Proud Mary
Mon May 22 2017, 09:41PM
Thank you for that reference, which I shall read with interest.

My plan for now is just to follow the circuit and copy the PCB diagram as best as I can from Paul Wade's 1995 article A UHF+ VSWR Bridge here: Link2

The article seems well thought through, and modest in its claims, but would I notice even the most terrible of errors? I'm not so sure!

As for getting things wrong. I don't know very much about this subject, and am sure I have gotten a lot of things wrong - but don't yet know what they are. If the day arrives when I get more right than I get wrong, I shall count myself a fortunate person! :)

Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue May 23 2017, 02:11AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
from 1GHz and up you want to use back to back directional couplers and detector diodes, or a pre-fabricated detector, and a circuit to compare forward to reflected to give you VSWR.

Couplers are very wideband if constructed well, and are accurate.
Proud Mary
Tue May 23 2017, 06:06PM
Thanks for that, HazMatt.

I don't as yet know very much about it - but better late than never - so I am going to continue with the UHF+ VSWR project as I've ordered the parts - some have arrived already from China - and the author seems a very knowledgeable fellow who gives enough info about the circuit, including the all-important board layout, for me to proceed quite quickly once I've put in some flying time soldering/desoldering junk chips to/from scraps of board.

From what I've seen of hobbyist SDR so far, most - but by no means all - hobbyists are dependent on kit designed and constructed by other people, with the result that there are plenty of part-assembled kits and modules for listening in to air band, satellite weather, listening in to the cops, and so on, and not very much about, for example, radio astronomy.

Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted on my first UHF/SHF project, and maybe get some good advice if things do not always go as hoped! :)
Sulaiman
Sun Jun 04 2017, 07:15PM
Radio astronomy is a non-starter for most of us due to antenna size and antenna positioning requirements and background noise.

The only achievable stuff is solar and Jovian observation, e.g. Link2
Proud Mary
Sun Jun 04 2017, 10:22PM
May 29, 2017
Detecting Pulsars with a Circularly Polarized Yagi and an RTL-SDR Link2

I don't have anywhere to put up even a modest antenna like this one, so your point is well made, Sulaimann, but is is nonetheless remarkable that radio astronomy that could only be undertaken by major institutions is now within the grasp of committed individuals.

My dismay at finding I could do nothing at all with the jumping flea SMD chips has been reversed by a compromise that took me ages to fall upon due to my unfamiliarity with the technology. I can nothing with 100 pF 50V chip capacitors, but found that 100 pF 1000V was just about big enough for me to use my standard soldering skills. The same with chip resistors: I can work with the 2W ones just fine! This still means that I shall not be able to reach the higher microwave frequencies, but is still a big advance over my previous thru-hole axials in the direction of miniaturisation. smile

Dr. Slack
Mon Jun 05 2017, 06:10AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Proud Mary wrote ...

My dismay at finding I could do nothing at all with the jumping flea SMD chips has been reversed by a compromise that took me ages to fall upon due to my unfamiliarity with the technology. I can nothing with 100 pF 50V chip capacitors, but found that 100 pF 1000V was just about big enough for me to use my standard soldering skills. The same with chip resistors: I can work with the 2W ones just fine! This still means that I shall not be able to reach the higher microwave frequencies, but is still a big advance over my previous thru-hole axials in the direction of miniaturisation. smile

Are you sure that the limitation is that you can *do* nothing? I used to think I didn't have the control skills to solder small stuff until I used a decent microscope. Then I realised it was simply because I could *see* nothing. Once I had sufficient gain in my optical feedback path, I found I could achieve good connections with 0402 parts routinely, and 0201 with a bit of care. Even stacking an extra pair of +4 reading glasses over your standard ones can bring about huge improvements.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: