Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Considering giving up Electronics as a hobby - Geiger counter problems

Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Sun Nov 20 2016, 02:02PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
It will be great to get a really classic GM tube like TGC-2 working, so here are some thoughts:

Loose fitting of bakelite base. This is very common in old valves/tubes and is simply due to aging of the adhesive bond between bakelite and glass. This is not a gas seal, and it will not affect operation of the tube. Solution: secure the base to the glass with epoxy, but before you do this clip an ohmeter across all possible combinations of the pins and very gently wriggle the loose base a very small amount to see if there is any kind of crossed wires type intermittant fault. If you do detect a crossed wires type fault, all is not lost, as you can cut away the bakelite base with a Dremel cutting wheel or similar, and make your connections directly to the wires inside.

Value of anode resistor: 5.6MΩ is all wrong for a GM tube operating at 1.3kV - it would mean 230 μA pulses dissipating 300mW into your counting gas. I suggest trying it at 56MΩ with a cathode resistor of 1.2MΩ. (i.e. the rule of thumb for GM tubes where the cathode resistor value is the anode resistor value divided by 45.)

Your counting pulses appearing across the cathode resistor will be of some volts, so won't need much in the way of amplification.

Inducktion
Mon Nov 21 2016, 01:36AM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
I tried your suggestions stella, and the tube still isn't working properly which leads me to believe the tube itself is unfortunately, dead. Dremel'd the base off as well and everything looks fine down below...

To be 100% sure, is there anyone on here who would like the tube in exchange for postage, and making sure it's 100% dead?

Here's a link to some pictures I took of it.

Link2

Really unfortunate, but I tested it left and right and made sure that I have the proper voltage, and I'm getting absolutely nothing from it.
Proud Mary
Mon Nov 21 2016, 08:56PM
Well that really is a shame, as it would have been a great thing to get that historic tube going what with the 2mg window and all. I've bought several dud end-window tubes in the past, and now I have a rule that I won't buy an end-window tube unless it comes in an unopened OEM package - which some of the Russian sellers are able to do.

Anyway, we can't let your efforts go to waste here, so I can send you a Christmas present of a couple of decent Russian SI-22G (CИ-22Г) gamma/hard beta tubes which are metal cased, 22cm long and like to see 390V on the anode. Here's a picture of Radu holding one:
22g Gm Motisan

If you put your address in a PM I'll get them off to you on Saturday.
Inducktion
Mon Nov 21 2016, 10:17PM
Sent you a PM stella. <3

Only other thing I could possibly think of that's causing the tube to not work properly is that somehow my power supply might be too noisy... Do geiger tubes need absolutely perfect regulation to work correctly? Or is open ended regulation okay?
Proud Mary
Mon Nov 21 2016, 11:01PM
Inducktion wrote ...

Sent you a PM stella. <3

Only other thing I could possibly think of that's causing the tube to not work properly is that somehow my power supply might be too noisy... Do geiger tubes need absolutely perfect regulation to work correctly? Or is open ended regulation okay?

GM tubes are very tolerant supply-wise. Taking SI-22G as an example, it has a nominal operating voltage (that is, the centre of the plateau) of 390V with a plateau length of 100V. This means that the plateau of anode voltage needed for Geiger-Muller Townsend avalanche mode stretches from 340V to 440V, and so long as the anode voltage stays anywhere between these two figures the tube will work correctly. So the GM detector has high immunity to supply drift. As to noise immunity, well there is noise and noise, but I don't think your sort of circuit would have any significant effect on operation.

Inducktion
Tue Nov 22 2016, 02:18AM
Mmmm... one last thing is that whiteish stuff I found under the protective cap. Like I said it almost looks like a mold, or fungus, do you think maybe that had something to do with the tube not working?
Proud Mary
Tue Nov 22 2016, 10:37AM
Inducktion wrote ...

Mmmm... one last thing is that whiteish stuff I found under the protective cap. Like I said it almost looks like a mold, or fungus, do you think maybe that had something to do with the tube not working?

It's hard to say without seeing it, but I suspect it is something like degraded polymer from the adhesive bond that sealed the glass bond on to the base. Early plastics and adhesives were not so stable as they are now, and your tube is likely 60 years old.

The white matter could even be flux used in tinning the wires where they exit the glass envelope, or other artifact of manufacture.

The condition of the glass seals where the leads pass through the glass is of much more importance, and would be a likely suspect were this not an end-window tube, where an invisibly small puncture becomes the most likely failure mode.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: