Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Have my bus caps died?

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
nzoomed
Wed Nov 09 2016, 08:08PM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
hen918 wrote ...

nzoomed wrote ...

I have not pulled it apart yet, but as i speak, ive put my multimeter across the DC bus and it measures around 100 ohms, not sure what this should normally read, but its not a dead short.

If there was a dead short something would have made a really big bang! When they fail quietly they don't tend to go to 0 ohms. IGBTs should read many orders of magnitude higher than that, normally.

OK, I have removed the caps from the DC bus, and the resistance on the IGBT's is off the scale on my multimeter on one of them, and the other is way up in the megohms range.

Seems it must be the caps, but im going to need to test these on a proper PSU now...

Kizmo
Thu Nov 10 2016, 01:00PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
nzoomed wrote ...

OK, I have removed the caps from the DC bus, and the resistance on the IGBT's is off the scale on my multimeter on one of them, and the other is way up in the megohms range.

Seems it must be the caps, but im going to need to test these on a proper PSU now...

I have seen this before plenty of times. It goes like this: Upper or lower transistor goes short for whatever reason, then other transistor turns on which results dead short over your DC bus. Energy stored in your bus capacitors can and will blow up bonding wires inside your igbts and any shorts will be cleared.

IGBT brick an be totally destroyed while collector-emitter measurements appear to be within normal limits (=no shorts, antiparallel diode is still fine). Check gate connections for resistance capacitance. Healthy gate should read resistance of 100s of kOhms to Mohms and capacitance of few 10s of nF. If not the brick is most likely destroyed like this one:

Link2

This CM300 had IGBT chips completely destroyed while antiparallel diodes were fine. Diode test over C-E was normal but gate connections did not show normal capacitance (gate connection was open circuit and less than 1n of capacitance..) so i decided to cut the brick open.
Hydron
Thu Nov 10 2016, 01:59PM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
You can check IGBTs (or at least those without short circuit protection circuitry) with a normal multimeter.

Set to diode mode, measure C (positive probe)-E (negative), keep probe connected to emitter and touch the gate with the positive probe then quickly switch it back to emitter.

If the multimeter uses a high enough voltage for diode test you should see the measurement go from out-of-range before touching the gate to something on the order of ~1-1.5V, rising as the gate capacitance discharges.

This may not work so well with large (brick) IGBTs, and almost certainly not work with anything with the "RTC Protection" circuit, but I have used with with success with smaller TO-247 IGBTs. It will also depend on the multimeter - some will not be suitable.

The other thing to test is with a current limited bench supply. Set to 10-15V at maybe 100mA or so, negative connected to emitter, repeat the procedure above with the positive lead. Should not flow current until you touch the gate, then should conduct until the gate discharges.

Edit: if it fails the multimeter test don't assume that it's dead unless others of the same type give different results. If it passes though there is a good chance that it's OK.
nzoomed
Fri Nov 11 2016, 01:32AM
OK, thanks for the advice.
I dont think my multimeter is very crash hot, so im going to look for a better meter.

Either way, its probably simple enough to just apply power to the DC bus with the caps removed with a low voltage 12V supply.

There should not be any current drain or shorting, so should be pretty easy to see if they are at fault that way.
Hydron
Fri Nov 11 2016, 12:36PM
run a signal generator into the feedback CT input, run the bus off a 12V PSU and you should be able to get the bridge to switch like normal (freq determined by sig gen - use something like 50-100kHz) if the IGBTs are fine
nzoomed
Sat Nov 12 2016, 03:23AM
Hydron wrote ...

run a signal generator into the feedback CT input, run the bus off a 12V PSU and you should be able to get the bridge to switch like normal (freq determined by sig gen - use something like 50-100kHz) if the IGBTs are fine

I didnt even have to do that!
Ive just confirmed that one of the IGBT's has died, and now ive got to ask a few questions!
I tested both IGBT's this way here:
Link2

After testing both, i discovered one has indeed failed, but im pretty sure the other one tests OK according to these tests, but i just hope it has not suffered any damage, is it better to replace both if one has failed?

I also think i may have discovered the cause of failure, but would like your thoughts on this.
When i went to disconnect the GDT from the gates to test the IGBT's, I discovered one of the gate wires had broken off the spade connector (on the failed IGBT)

Measuring across E2 and G2 on this brick was 0 Ohms and across E1 and G1 was about 2.5 Ohms, so I knew straight away this was dead.

It does not appear to have melted off or anything, so I can only assume this bought on the failure perhaps?
I know you have to be careful when stripping this solid core cat5 cable, and i thought I had when i was assembling the inverter.

Both TVS clamps pictured here on the failed IGBT were also giving me a reading on my multimeter, when the ones on the "good" IGBT are perfectly normal and measure no conductance with my multimeter.

Anyway, ive also attached a photo of the failed IGBT brick, this was a nightmare to open, but it confirms that it has failed.
(how on earth are supposed to open these units for modification, ill never know? lol I had to destroy this to open it!)

1478921000 54503 FT178140 20161112 143431

1478921000 54503 FT178140 20161112 160547
Kizmo
Sat Nov 12 2016, 11:27AM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
nzoomed wrote ...

Anyway, ive also attached a photo of the failed IGBT brick, this was a nightmare to open, but it confirms that it has failed.
(how on earth are supposed to open these units for modification, ill never know? lol I had to destroy this to open it!)

Mod edit: cleaned up your double posts :)

Now, we have some evidence right here!

Larger rectangular chips are your actual IGBT transistors. All of them have failed as you can see. But: more interesting thing is that you also have at least one diode chip that is failed in catastrophic manner. In DRSSTC there is only one reason why the antiparallel diode failes like that, and it is overvoltage.

My guess is that there was an overvoltage event that caused at least one diode short out which made opposing igbt chip to die to overcurernt and so on.

So, what may have caused the overvoltage then? Bus layout, insufficient decoupling and/or snubbering, switching timing and similar things. I had very similar CM300 failure (Diode and igbt chip damage) in past due to the 20µ plastic film decoupling capacitor failed open circuit during TC run :D
nzoomed
Sat Nov 12 2016, 06:38PM
Kizmo wrote ...

nzoomed wrote ...

Mod edit: cleaned up your double posts :)

Now, we have some evidence right here!

Larger rectangular chips are your actual IGBT transistors. All of them have failed as you can see. But: more interesting thing is that you also have at least one diode chip that is failed in catastrophic manner. In DRSSTC there is only one reason why the antiparallel diode failes like that, and it is overvoltage.

My guess is that there was an overvoltage event that caused at least one diode short out which made opposing igbt chip to die to overcurernt and so on.

So, what may have caused the overvoltage then? Bus layout, insufficient decoupling and/or snubbering, switching timing and similar things. I had very similar CM300 failure (Diode and igbt chip damage) in past due to the 20µ plastic film decoupling capacitor failed open circuit during TC run :D

Overvoltage, now thats interesting!
I wouldnt have thought that overvoltage would be possible, since these are rated at 1200V, and my maximum bus voltage would not be any more than 700VDC.

As i mentioned, I discovered one of the GDT wires from the cat5 cable was broken off the spade terminal to the gate on that very IGBT, could this have caused the failure?

Do you think the other IGBT will be OK? (it appears to test OK)
dexter
Sat Nov 12 2016, 07:53PM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
nzoomed wrote ...

As i mentioned, I discovered one of the GDT wires from the cat5 cable was broken off the spade terminal to the gate on that very IGBT, could this have caused the failure?

Do you think the other IGBT will be OK? (it appears to test OK)

i had the same problem before (one disconnected gate) and the IGBT's failed even at a lower buss voltage
i had this problem for a half bridge with discrete IGBT's but i guess but i guess your other IGBT brick has survived
Hydron
Mon Nov 21 2016, 08:16AM
Link2

Appears that this is a tried and tested way of killing bricks (see link above)
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: