Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Lightweight air core transformer?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sat Aug 13 2016, 05:27PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Hi Bob,

This is a 300V (can go to 450V if you're not careful) SMPS I'm designing for a friend of mine. Runs off of 9-15V, 86% efficiency at the moment, should be higher soon, and it is VERY HEAVY for 20W.

Many people have tried, but the major problem is the power source, ultimately a battery, is very heavy.

and trying to get 50-75KV out of a compact SMPS is a challenge.

Instead of trying to make the supply smaller, you are going to have to make the lifter surface area larger.

If you do the calculations for the energy required (I have not), I would bet you a can of coke that to get 15 min. run time of a self-contained lifer, that is battery and SMPS, the power source would probably weigh no less than 10 lbs, and the lifter would be nearly the size of a Football field.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, just realistic.
001f
jdub1581hv
Sat Aug 13 2016, 08:59PM
jdub1581hv Registered Member #55219 Joined: Tue Jun 09 2015, 11:21PM
how bout a small flyback (lopt) xfmr such as those used in plasma globes and those from small crt tv's (5" or less) / 1980's cam-corder eyepieces?
drive it with a SMT mazzilli zvs driver (logic lvl mfets) from a single 18650 lipo (high discharge rated)...
Smallest thing I can think of... and still going to be heavy for the ionocraft
Sulaiman
Sat Aug 13 2016, 09:24PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I thik that 10 lbs. is very pessimistic,

since batteries seem to be around 0.2 g/W
the most obvious solution seems to be many many small LiPo cells in series cheesey
impossible to get more W/g

do not ask me how to switch it on/off without electrocution

P.S. regarding stability:
the lower vanes can be simply operated by a central pendulum connected by a thin metal rod.
one pendulum can control multiple surfaces.
Robert Clark
Sat Aug 13 2016, 09:54PM
Robert Clark Registered Member #58454 Joined: Thu Feb 18 2016, 06:33AM
jdub1581hv wrote ...

how bout a small flyback (lopt) xfmr such as those used in plasma globes and those from small crt tv's (5" or less) / 1980's cam-corder eyepieces?
drive it with a SMT mazzilli zvs driver (logic lvl mfets) from a single 18650 lipo (high discharge rated)...
Smallest thing I can think of... and still going to be heavy for the ionocraft

I looked at small transformers available for purchase and they had worse than 1 to 3 power(watts) to weight(grams) ratios. I would think if these commercial products such as plasma globes had very light for their power transformers then such would be available for purchase, but I haven't seen any. Remember it's not just they be light weight, but also high power for that light weight.

See for example the small sized high voltage converters here:

Link2

In the example of the plasma globe it's likely the transformers are small but the power requirements are smaller.

Bob Clark
Robert Clark
Sat Aug 13 2016, 10:28PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) wrote ...

Hi Bob,

This is a 300V (can go to 450V if you're not careful) SMPS I'm designing for a friend of mine. Runs off of 9-15V, 86% efficiency at the moment, should be higher soon, and it is VERY HEAVY for 20W.
Many people have tried, but the major problem is the power source, ultimately a battery, is very heavy.
and trying to get 50-75KV out of a compact SMPS is a challenge.
Instead of trying to make the supply smaller, you are going to have to make the lifter surface area larger.
If you do the calculations for the energy required (I have not), I would bet you a can of coke that to get 15 min. run time of a self-contained lifer, that is battery and SMPS, the power source would probably weigh no less than 10 lbs, and the lifter would be nearly the size of a Football field.
I'm not trying to be mean or anything, just realistic.
001f

The weight of the batteries is not really the problem. Batteries of high power for the weight already exist because they are needed for small electric powered airplanes and drones. See for example the batteries here:

Link2

They already get multiple times better than 1 watt power per gram of battery weight.

Many amateurs have built tesla coils (air core transformers). What are some of the power to weight ratios for those?

Bob Clark
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Aug 14 2016, 04:19PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
A 1 KG lifter, total weight, 1m off the ground for 10 min. requires 600W of electrical power at 100% efficiency, or 720W at 80% efficiency.

So if you can manage 720W/KG, that's what you need.
Uspring
Tue Aug 16 2016, 01:35PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Robert Clark wrote:
But how lightweight can an air cored transformer be? Less than 1 gram weight per watt power output would be ideal.
From a formal point of view, there is no weight/power ratio for air cored transformers. Imagine a transformer loaded by some resistance with an input voltage of say 10 V. There will be some current in the windings causing losses due to the copper resistance. Now apply a 100V. Then currents will be multiplied by 10. Input power will be multiplied by 100. Losses will also be multiplied by 100. So the loss to power input ratio i.e. the efficiency will stay the same. Your transformer might go up in smoke, but that is a cooling issue not one of efficiency.

You will want, of course, the transformer to be efficient, aside from the power it can handle. That's an interesting question by itself, so I went through the math initially neglecting skin effects. The result is surprising. For a toroidal shape, the power loss fraction depends solely on the mass of copper m, frequency f and the size of the toroid s. The result is:

Ploss/Pinput = 20000 kg * s / (m * f), s in m and f in Hz.

So for a 5cm toroid and a frequency of 50kHz, the power loss would be about 10% for 200 g of copper. That is quite a bit and since I neglected skin effects, the efficiency could be significantly worse. A large frequency increases efficiency only up to a certain point, since the skin effect will limit efficiency gains.

I believe you will be better off with a ferrite core. That will reduce the amount of copper needed so that its weight becomes insignificant compared to the weight of the core. There are cores in the 10s of grams range, which can handle a kW of power at say a 100kHz. It probably makes sense to add a Greinacher multiplier stage behind the transformer in order to alleviate insulation issues.
Robert Clark
Tue Aug 16 2016, 02:40PM
Uspring wrote ...

Robert Clark wrote:
But how lightweight can an air cored transformer be? Less than 1 gram weight per watt power output would be ideal.
From a formal point of view, there is no weight/power ratio for air cored transformers. Imagine a transformer loaded by some resistance with an input voltage of say 10 V. There will be some current in the windings causing losses due to the copper resistance. Now apply a 100V. Then currents will be multiplied by 10. Input power will be multiplied by 100. Losses will also be multiplied by 100. So the loss to power input ratio i.e. the efficiency will stay the same. Your transformer might go up in smoke, but that is a cooling issue not one of efficiency.
You will want, of course, the transformer to be efficient, aside from the power it can handle. That's an interesting question by itself, so I went through the math initially neglecting skin effects. The result is surprising. For a toroidal shape, the power loss fraction depends solely on the mass of copper m, frequency f and the size of the toroid s. The result is:
Ploss/Pinput = 20000 kg * s / (m * f), s in m and f in Hz.
So for a 5cm toroid and a frequency of 50kHz, the power loss would be about 10% for 200 g of copper. That is quite a bit and since I neglected skin effects, the efficiency could be significantly worse. A large frequency increases efficiency only up to a certain point, since the skin effect will limit efficiency gains.
I believe you will be better off with a ferrite core. That will reduce the amount of copper needed so that its weight becomes insignificant compared to the weight of the core. There are cores in the 10s of grams range, which can handle a kW of power at say a 100kHz. It probably makes sense to add a Greinacher multiplier stage behind the transformer in order to alleviate insulation issues.

Thanks for the informative response. Perhaps switching to aluminum wires would save on the weight of the wiring? Aluminum weighs 1/3rd as much as copper.

About iron or ferrite core transformers the best I could find in power to weight ratio were in the range of 1 watts per 3 grams. But the lifters can only manage about 1 gram-force thrust per 1 watt of power input. So we would need to improve the power to weight ratio of the transformers by better than 3 times for this to work.

A transformer you mentioned at only 10's of grams weight able to handle a kW of power would work if it can go into say the thousand volt output range. Do you have a link for it?

Bob Clark
Uspring
Wed Aug 17 2016, 08:37PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
There is a table in here Link2 along with other useful info. I think the 43813 weighs less than 100g. But there may be better ones.

Robert Clark
Sat Aug 20 2016, 05:49AM
Thanks for that. I looked at the link, and while it did give equations for calculating the wattage of a transformer, it didn't give any weights. The 1 watt per gram goal is a severe constraint.

Bob Clark
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: