Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SiC Tesla Coil

Move Thread LAN_403
Justin
Thu Jun 16 2016, 10:15PM
Justin Registered Member #46164 Joined: Wed May 07 2014, 08:16AM
Hydron wrote ...

Once you learn to work with SMD you'll never look back!
(OK, 0402 and smaller gets painful, but anything larger is _FASTER_ to solder than through hole, no pissing about bending leads and clipping them to length).
Even the leadless stuff isn't normally a big deal if you have hot air and some sort of magnification.

Poor eyesight or motor skills can make it a real pain though. I would definitely recommend good magnification if you can afford it.
Shrad
Fri Jun 17 2016, 08:04AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
soldering SMD is easy... put a blob on one pad, let it solidify, place SMD part against it and maintain with your pick tool or whatever, melt the blob so it sticks to the part, let it solidify again and solder the other pad(s)

if it is an IC, solder the first pin like that and carefully adjust position when melting solder again if it is not well positioned

that way you could solder SMD with a nail and a lighter ;)
loneoceans
Thu Nov 17 2016, 08:39PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
It's been a while but I finally had the chance to get working on this again, so I thought I'd post a quick update for people who might be interested. TL;DR - first (tiny) light has been achieved with the SiC on the bench with low bus voltages, so this officially makes sparks! Whether it works out as hoped in the end or turns out to be a massive fail, we'll find out as we go along!

30960113056 0a9878f64d

After designing the boards I had them fabricated. Next I soldered up the main boards and the controller. So far the boards look *ok* and I only had a very few bugs to fix, but for the most part, they turned out to be working with no major errors in layout :).

30997448416 0ec4d3245d

Next was getting the firmware for the controller dialed in and to start basic bench testing. Main functionality seems to be working. For the initial test, I hooked it up to my QCW 2 resonator which has an operating frequency of around ~365kHz, to see if all aspects of the board are at least working as intended.

30997448326 7a421ae926

After basic verification I applied power to the bridge and had the coil running on its own feedback.. it works! The coil started making small sparks with a bench power supply as the bus supply at ~20-30V. Next step would be to finish up the actual resonators for this small coil, and start pushing the frequencies and power up, and hope the FETs don't get too unhappy... confused
Enceladus
Mon Dec 06 2021, 03:14AM
Enceladus Registered Member #61428 Joined: Sat Jan 14 2017, 12:39PM
You know how sometimes people will ask you "Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?" ? Well, I'm actually more interested in where this project went in the LAST 5 years. Last post is such a cliffhanger.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: