Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DRSSTC Tuning, UD2.7C

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Hydron
Sun Apr 24 2016, 09:57AM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
Insulation can actually make the problem worse - the E-field gets concentrated in the airgap (due to the dielectric constant of the insulation being significantly higher than air's 1) and the air gap is now smaller due to the insulation you just put there. My vote would be to start the primary a little further away.

Another thing to check, is the inner of the primary connected to one bridge output? The end of the primary with the capacitor connection has significantly higher voltages present on it.

Edit: forgot to ask, where about in NZ is this coil? Good to see a few more NZ coilers on here - I'm living in the UK right now but the stuff I built is still in Auckland; am looking forward to having a go at getting my QCW working when I'm back in August.
nzoomed
Sun Apr 24 2016, 11:19AM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
Hydron wrote ...

Insulation can actually make the problem worse - the E-field gets concentrated in the airgap (due to the dielectric constant of the insulation being significantly higher than air's 1) and the air gap is now smaller due to the insulation you just put there. My vote would be to start the primary a little further away.

Another thing to check, is the inner of the primary connected to one bridge output? The end of the primary with the capacitor connection has significantly higher voltages present on it.

Edit: forgot to ask, where about in NZ is this coil? Good to see a few more NZ coilers on here - I'm living in the UK right now but the stuff I built is still in Auckland; am looking forward to having a go at getting my QCW working when I'm back in August.

Yes good question!
I was going to ask the same thing.
Im in Tauranga Orac12, send me a PM if you like to get in contact.

I am working on my first DRSSTC and i have no idea what problems i will encounter, i may come across the same issues no doubt, but we can at least exchange some information on what we both learn with our coils.
orac12
Mon Apr 25 2016, 09:54PM
orac12 Registered Member #9879 Joined: Tue Jan 29 2013, 05:00AM
The inner of the primary is connected to the MMC, so thats a good point. I will take some turns off the inner to give a bigger gap and connect it to the bridge output at the same time. Hopefully that should solve that problem.

I'm in Hamilton.
nzoomed
Mon Apr 25 2016, 11:10PM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
orac12 wrote ...

The inner of the primary is connected to the MMC, so thats a good point. I will take some turns off the inner to give a bigger gap and connect it to the bridge output at the same time. Hopefully that should solve that problem.

I'm in Hamilton.

OK, thats pretty handy to me.
I have had no experience in tuning them either so i dont know what i will encounter when i fire mine up first go.
Goodchild
Tue Apr 26 2016, 01:54PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
You need to do a serious double check of your bridge. The fact that you have a negative going spike during the rectification period (when the IGBTs are not driven) means that it has nothing to do with your controller.

I would recommend posting a photo of the bridge. Folks here will be able to tell very quickly if you have something out of place.
loneoceans
Tue Apr 26 2016, 04:46PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
Goodchild wrote ...

You need to do a serious double check of your bridge. The fact that you have a negative going spike during the rectification period (when the IGBTs are not driven) means that it has nothing to do with your controller.

I would recommend posting a photo of the bridge. Folks here will be able to tell very quickly if you have something out of place.

That's right; also another point - it's hard to see from the current shots you have - could you zoom in into one of the transition points? You're having some quick transitions on the gate drive at each turn on. Initial guess could be that your IGBTs are turning on too slowly - what gate resistor are you using and which specific IGBTs? Otherwise the driver looks like it's doing just fine.
orac12
Tue Apr 26 2016, 08:52PM
Ok, I'm going to change the polarity of the primary and get some new scope shots. Those ones in the first post are a bit old now.

Just to be sure I'm doing the right thing ( and not getting different waveforms because I've done something different), how is everyone scoping their bridges? I have a x10 probe on the output of the bridge and a CT on the output connected to the primary coil.

The IGBT's are CM600HA-24H and using 4.7 ohm gate resistors.
1461703935 9879 FT176476 20160427 0849311
meawoppl
Tue Apr 26 2016, 09:59PM
meawoppl Registered Member #57545 Joined: Wed Oct 21 2015, 01:28AM
Big thing: It looks like you drop a half cycle in the control somehow. Your LC and drive seem out of phase, which will damp the oscillation...

A couple little things:
  • CM600's get pretty hot during operation. I would make sure your drive wires aren't sandwitched b/t them
  • It is also common to add a bias to the charge/discharge cycle on these to minimize shoot-through.
  • I have a CM600 face-mounting board that incorporates these (and nice connectors), our coil became more reliable when we replaced the deadbugs in that segment of our design.
  • Make sure you have read the application notes for the UD27, there are a couple components to adjust for the big brick IGBT's
orac12
Tue Apr 26 2016, 10:52PM
meawoppl wrote ...

Big thing: It looks like you drop a half cycle in the control somehow. Your LC and drive seem out of phase, which will damp the oscillation...

A couple little things:
  • CM600's get pretty hot during operation. I would make sure your drive wires aren't sandwitched b/t them
  • It is also common to add a bias to the charge/discharge cycle on these to minimize shoot-through.
  • I have a CM600 face-mounting board that incorporates these (and nice connectors), our coil became more reliable when we replaced the deadbugs in that segment of our design.
  • Make sure you have read the application notes for the UD27, there are a couple components to adjust for the big brick IGBT's

Where it has the gap / dropped half cycle, I believe that is where the drive has stopped / IGBT's are off and current is ringing back and forth? Thats why current is out of phase at that point?

The drive wires do go between them, but there is room and are not sandwiched tightly. Will keep an eye on it and make sure they don't get hot though.

What do you mean by bias on the charge / discharge cycle?

I have changed C33 to 2.2nF on the UD. Is there anything else that needs adjusting? I have gone over the notes multiple times, but its a lot to learn all at once and I may have missed something.
orac12
Thu Apr 28 2016, 08:17AM
OK, I have changed the polarity of the primary so that the MMC is connected to the outside of the primary and the bridge output connected to the inside, I also removed two turns from the side to give more room. I then retuned the primary to about 35kHz (slightly lower than secondary).

These scope shots were taken at 90VDC bus, 100uS on time. Scope probe connected across bridge output, current transformer on the bridge output to the outside of the primary.
Still seem to be having large spikes, have tried a whole range of inductors and only seem to make it worse by winding the inductor all the way to the bottom and bottoming it out. Other than that, cannot seem to make it any better.

Maybe a snubber problem??

1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: