Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Nice Current monitors ($135) on Ebay...

Move Thread LAN_403
loneoceans
Sat Jan 23 2016, 10:08PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
Thomas W wrote ...

loneoceans wrote ...

flyboy7777 wrote ...

I had actually thought about buying the one that's .01V/A before I got this one, but that would limit me to 1000 amps maximum with my scope... Unless I build or buy a /10 adapter. (Assuming my math is correct)

Hm for 10mV/A, that's just 10V at 1kA. How would that limit you to 1000A max? And if so, how would you use the scope to measure anything else (coil related, like gate voltages?)

Into a 50 Ohm load, often oscilloscopes will limit your voltage for a 50 Ohm load, for example my LeCroy scope only allows up to 5V @ 50Ohm input.
unless you use an external 50Ohm load, of course. I believe that's what Flyboy was referring too.

Sure I'd use a common 50 ohm input adapter on the scope - I think most lower end scopes are just high impedance inputs - but just pointing out that a 10mV/A resolution would probably be much more useful than 1mV/A for regular coiling use. :)
Signification
Mon Jan 25 2016, 12:33AM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
I have one I picked up from some auction long ago. It is rated only 0.1 V/A made by: Gauss Control, Inc. Also printed on it...
C829154-B
NOV 12 1975
Mountain View, Ca.

Come to think of it, I do believe I posted a PIC on this forum a while back.
flyboy7777
Mon Jan 25 2016, 02:34PM
flyboy7777 Registered Member #58118 Joined: Sat Dec 12 2015, 12:34AM
Yes, my scope is only good for 10volts (20v P-P) input unless I use an attenuator on it. I use a 10x probe when I need to measure something larger than that.

Jonathan
Kizmo
Thu Feb 04 2016, 10:04AM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
I got mine today :)

Will give it a test next weekend
1454580274 599 FT174909 Ct
Mads Barnkob
Thu Feb 04 2016, 04:23PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Oh cool, I also got a mouse
1454603003 1403 FT174909  20160204 172244

edit:

Some quick testing with my small MOC bank Link2

I put 3 current monitors in a row on the discharge cable and set it up for Pearson model 110 (0.1V/A) with -40db attenuation, Pearson model 101 (0.01V/A) with -20db attenuation and IPC CM-01-S (0.001V/A) straight through.

1454617621 1403 FT174909 Dsc 0201

1454617621 1403 FT174909 Dsc 0200

1454617621 1403 FT174909 Current Monitor Test

I just realized that I made a stupid mistake, measuring a 20kA pulse with a 5kA rated monitor is not good. Hopefully that is right at its outer internal components limits/isolation.

Despite being a 1mV/A current monitor, a attenuator is still needed for pulses over 40kA, at least for my DS1054Z scope. A much wider test is needed to determine its lower and upper limits against the much more expensive Pearsons, but I am satisfied with that almost matching result for this one-shot.
flyboy7777
Sun Feb 07 2016, 04:08AM
flyboy7777 Registered Member #58118 Joined: Sat Dec 12 2015, 12:34AM
Yeah, they all look pretty darn close. I'm still curious how it will perform for DRSSTC testing.

Goodchild
Fri Feb 19 2016, 02:38PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
So I also picked one of these up out of curiosity.

What I found was lacking (other than bandwidth) was shielding and the style of termination. The first clue to me that the shielding was lacking is the difference in weight, a person 101 (which I also have) weighs in at almost twice as heavy, while being about the same size.

I also tested them side by side on a DRSSTC pushing about 1Kw. The yellow guy was showing considerable noise from the switching transitions of the nearby bridge, while the pearson 101 was nice and clean. This is impressive for the 101 considering it has a much higher bandwidth and is capable of seeing much higher frequency noise.
Mads Barnkob
Sat Feb 20 2016, 08:27PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Goodchild wrote ...

So I also picked one of these up out of curiosity.

What I found was lacking (other than bandwidth) was shielding and the style of termination. The first clue to me that the shielding was lacking is the difference in weight, a person 101 (which I also have) weighs in at almost twice as heavy, while being about the same size.

I also tested them side by side on a DRSSTC pushing about 1Kw. The yellow guy was showing considerable noise from the switching transitions of the nearby bridge, while the pearson 101 was nice and clean. This is impressive for the 101 considering it has a much higher bandwidth and is capable of seeing much higher frequency noise.

I suspected the IPC just being shielded from aluminium, atleast the bracket holes and weldinds give that away.

The "window" in the Pearson's are merely a 1 mm slot in the shielding. I got no idea about IPC.

Pearson uses distributed load resistors along the winding of the CT, so for lefts say every 5% of the coil, a 1.xOhm resistors sits across it. I butchered a model 1330, it is fact :)

There is no doubt a difference in price/quality/precision.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: