All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Is EmDrive actually just gibberish?

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Thu Nov 19 2015, 11:17PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I doubt solar panels or conventional ion drives would last anywhere near the times required to travel any 'significant' distance in space.

Something like the proposed waveguide device might stand a better chance of surviving the trip?
Dr. Slack
Fri Nov 20 2015, 10:46AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Ash Small wrote ...

I doubt solar panels or conventional ion drives would last anywhere near the times required to travel any 'significant' distance in space.

Something like the proposed waveguide device might stand a better chance of surviving the trip?

I could make the argument that a concrete block stands a better chance of the surviving the trip than a momentum-ejecting rocket for which we understand the mechanism of operation, and can build. I've yet to see any evidence that an EM drive works better than a warm concrete block, or even theories that are consistent with known science for how it might.
Ash Small
Fri Nov 20 2015, 01:24PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I agree that the results are so far inconclusive wink
BigBad
Sat Nov 21 2015, 03:28AM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

I could make the argument that a concrete block stands a better chance of the surviving the trip than a momentum-ejecting rocket for which we understand the mechanism of operation, and can build. I've yet to see any evidence that an EM drive works better than a warm concrete block, or even theories that are consistent with known science for how it might.
lol, and it's only funny because it's true.
DekuTree64
Mon Nov 21 2016, 10:05AM
DekuTree64 Registered Member #54596 Joined: Fri Mar 06 2015, 11:31AM
Peer reviewed study has been published: http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.B36120
Apparently it produces 1.2 mN per kW. Two orders of magnitude greater than a photon rocket, and only one order of magnitude less than a propellant-consuming ion thruster. Pretty exciting!
nzoomed
Fri Nov 25 2016, 05:11AM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
Well we may have to rewrite the laws of physics.
It appears NASA have tested it and have concluded it actually it works, but now they are trying to explain how it works!

Something that was once considered pseudo-science is no more, watch this space!
Patrick
Fri Nov 25 2016, 07:29AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

Mechanism creep is a sure sign of dodgy methodology.
This is well said, and should be in a college textbook.
Uspring
Fri Nov 25 2016, 02:32PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
If this device does not violate momentum conservation, it must push on something. This might be another object in the lab, which makes it unsuitable for a drive operating in space. Or it must emit some sort of particles, e.g. photons, which would just constitute some sort of standard EM drive or some other particles. If there are some other particles, these particles must be quite heavy, otherwise the thrust would be very weak, as is the case for photons. What kind of particles that might be, is unknown and there are no candidates.

But lets assume that these particles exist. Then there would be a mass loss on the drive similar to that of an ion drive or a typical rocket engine. For long term propulsion, that is a problem.

Now lets assume that the device violates momentum conservation. Momentum conservation is deeply linked to energy conservation. It is possible to build a not energy conserving machine from a not momentum conserving device. That puts us in the domain of perpetuum mobiles.

Not likely.

Dr. Slack
Fri Nov 25 2016, 04:24PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
At least this latest experiment is looking serious. They have made some good attempts to address spurious influences. No flexing cables to disturb the balance, as contacts were made through liquid metal, and an account has been taken of thermal effects. A calibration measurement before and after the thrust measurement.

These are their results, measured torque versus power.

There is certainly something going on.

I am concerned however about the variation in measured torque, especially at the 60W mark. There is not only a 3:1 variation, it's also an order of magnitude larger than their error bars. This means that something is very poorly controlled in the experimental setup, something is not reproducible.

Their calibration measurements on their torque beam are worth discussion. They are very consistent. This is good in the sense that it shows the setup is measuring the calibration torque well. This further highlights the fact that while the torque measurement system is working well to the calibration torque, it is still producing very variable device under test torques.

If the message of this paper is that we should accept the EMdrive proposal because no other explanation is available for the observed torque, then this falls far short of establishing that. While the paper does discuss other effects, I do not think that electrical effects between torque beam and chamber have been investigated sufficiently well. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and I don't think this meets my threshhold yet.

My stance up to now has been that there is no point to performing the experiments because the theory was nonsense and experiments so far had been laughable. However, with these results, I would like to see more and better experiments, to answer the questions raised by this one. The main one in my mind is 'what is causing the wide spread of measurement results?'

I have some suggestions for the next experiments. Perhaps using the electrostatic torquer closed loop to eliminate the response time of the torsion beam, and certainly as the paper suggests better control of the thermal effects. The chamber wall proximity effects have been discussed, and they would like to move to a larger chamber. Further runs may be possible with this small chamber, using moveable baffles driven by stepper motors, which would allow 'walls' to be moved nearer to the device under test, to see if effects varied with distance.

If they're getting supposedly measurable results with only 80 watts, I wonder what the budget and enthusiasm would be for flying a test satellite equipped with this, a photon engine and an ion thruster, with ranging corner cube reflectors to allow precise orbit determination, to compare deltaVs for all three engines?

New Scientist's impeccable journalism strikes again. They had an article of about 8 column-inches in this week's issue, mentioned NASA, but said absolutely nothing of any meaning, neither referring to nor linking to their report.
Carbon_Rod
Sat Nov 26 2016, 06:54AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Also tried to find a detailed photo of the apparatus with little success.

I was curious if the trials were repeated after rotating the entire rig 90' within the earth's magnetic field.
i.e. their calculations should remain constant if not a confounding variable.

If one can measure the near-field RF radiation pattern (< 1 lambda) to see if it had opportunity to couple to metal objects in the test chamber, and not the emitter probe wave guide.

Overlooked something trivial like:
Link2

Although, the phenomena may still upset those emotionally invested in contradicting legacy aether theories.
I'll safely wager it will not work outside a test chamber in space...
wink

1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: