Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
05/09 AmonRa (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Rotary vs Air Blast gap

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Benjamin
Tue Oct 06 2015, 10:28PM
Benjamin Registered Member #54655 Joined: Thu Mar 19 2015, 05:56PM
I have a magnifier running on 2 mots at about 400-500 bps async and the cap bank is only 2 strings of 6 each and it works fine producing 5 foot bright streamers. These caps are tough and will have no problem at all with only 2 strings. Also I have found that 1.3 times the resonant value works the best for nst's, 34nf would be 1.6 times resonant and most people recommend not going higher then 1.5 times. So even with only 2 strings the lifetime of your caps will be way more then you will ever need. You should only start to worry if the caps get hot.
crashstudio
Wed Oct 07 2015, 12:57AM
crashstudio Registered Member #54484 Joined: Sun Feb 15 2015, 06:18PM
Graham Armitage wrote ...

For what it's worth, I have had much better results from an air gap than RSG, especially when using NSTs. One of the most successful (and easiest) gaps I built was with two thin walled 1" pipes aligned axially and separated by the desired gap. One pipe was close and attached to a handle to adjust it closer or further from the other pipe edge. The second pipe was attached to small vacuum cleaner. This pulled air from outside the pipes and back into the "exhaust" pipe. I enclosed the whole thing in a muffler box to reduce light and noise but allow air flow. Because of the high flow rate of the air the spark was quenched very quickly which is what you want. Hope this helps.

Results can be seen here - Link2

Thank you. For some reason I didn't even think of using a vacuum motor. I have an old Kirby with a very strong motor in it. I plan to build one similar to this one.

1444179465 54484 FT173489 Vacgap
crashstudio
Wed Oct 07 2015, 01:00AM
Benjamin wrote ...

I have a magnifier running on 2 mots at about 400-500 bps async and the cap bank is only 2 strings of 6 each and it works fine producing 5 foot bright streamers. These caps are tough and will have no problem at all with only 2 strings. Also I have found that 1.3 times the resonant value works the best for nst's, 34nf would be 1.6 times resonant and most people recommend not going higher then 1.5 times. So even with only 2 strings the lifetime of your caps will be way more then you will ever need. You should only start to worry if the caps get hot.

Awesome thank you! I'll just keep it the way it is and kill 2 strings. That way if some caps blow all I have to do is switch to the other set. Cool
crashstudio
Sun Oct 11 2015, 07:59PM
Thank you everyone! Here's my new Sucker Gap. Got to fine tune but it seems to be working great.

Link2
Graham Armitage
Mon Oct 12 2015, 01:33AM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
That looks cool. How do you tune the gap distance? It looks like air is being sucked through both tubes. Have you tried blocking one so that the force of air moving through the gap is greater? Could change how quickly the spark is quenched.
crashstudio
Mon Oct 12 2015, 09:30PM
I cut slots in the pipe for adjustment. You can see in the pic below. I'll probably end up wrapping tape around the opening until can figure out a different method. I just wanted to be sure the electrodes would remain secure once the gap was set.
As far as plugging one of the holes, I'll try that after I test it with the coil. I was just thinking there would be a more even flow if both were open.
1444685440 54484 FT173489 Copy20151012 165320
Benjamin
Mon Oct 12 2015, 11:43PM
Benjamin Registered Member #54655 Joined: Thu Mar 19 2015, 05:56PM
I would love to hear how it works when you test it.
crashstudio
Tue Oct 13 2015, 12:31AM
Just tested it. took me a couple minutes to figure it out but it was arcing "inside" the secondary, there's trace marks everywhere. My top load connection is outside and the ground is inside. Apparently neither should be inside so I'm going to change the ground connection to outside.
The only reason I had it inside was for aesthetics, whatever, at this point I don't care. I'm also going to try and figure a way to seal the inside of the secondary at the top and bottom.
crashstudio
Thu Oct 15 2015, 10:43PM
Here it is. Still got to fine tune but its already too powerful for my little room. Plus there's too much stuff all around it. Check out the video link below and thank you very much everyone for your help! I never even went above 90 volts on the variac.

Link2
crashstudio
Fri Oct 16 2015, 12:19AM
Link2
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: