Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

How cruical is a VARIAC?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Sept 20 2015, 03:10PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Something else to point out here, it uses a carbon brush contact.

Exceeding the power handling by a large amount causes that brush to get very hot and burn the winding, and the brush, so I would recommend exceeding that rating only conservatively and for brief periods of time.
Mads Barnkob
Sun Sept 20 2015, 07:38PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) wrote ...

Something else to point out here, it uses a carbon brush contact.

Exceeding the power handling by a large amount causes that brush to get very hot and burn the winding, and the brush, so I would recommend exceeding that rating only conservatively and for brief periods of time.

See page 1 for a overload curve, %overload vs. time Link2,%20M5%20,%20M10,%20and%20M20%20Variac% 20Autotransformers.pdf
Hydron
Mon Sept 21 2015, 11:29PM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
Get the coil up and running with the 8A variac, it'll do fine for low power testing.

Assuming it's a DRSSTC all you need to get higher power later is to build up a phase controlled rectifier - A Dual SCR brick (or maybe some discrete SCRs) is all you need for oodles of power. I think steve conner's site has a schematic floating round using a couple of 555s.

Bigger Variacs do occasionally pop up on trademe, but they're not common. I got my 15A one for $150 NZD, which is a bargain (though it doesn't have a proper dial).

Could probably get a SCR brick on ebay - mine are unfortunately packed away back home (I'm in the UK right now), otherwise I'd be happy to give you a couple.
dexter
Tue Sept 22 2015, 05:55AM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
Hydron wrote ...

Assuming it's a DRSSTC all you need to get higher power later is to build up a phase controlled rectifier - A Dual SCR brick (or maybe some discrete SCRs) is all you need for oodles of power. I think steve conner's site has a schematic floating round using a couple of 555s.

i built that using a 91A dual thyristor module and it works ok
the main advantage of using a phase controlled rectifier is that it can also work as a doubler while still maintaining thr "variac"function
nzoomed
Tue Sept 22 2015, 06:16AM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
Hydron wrote ...

Get the coil up and running with the 8A variac, it'll do fine for low power testing.

If i did this would it allow me to run my coil at higher output without having to get a higher rated wall outlet installed?
GrantX
Tue Sept 22 2015, 06:39AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
I don't think you'll have to upgrade your wall outlet, unless it's running continuously. I double checked, and we use the same outlet design as NZ. I regularly pull >20A from the 10A outlets in my workshop (usually the MIG welder). They're wired with 2.5mm^2 cable and 20A breakers, so nothing generates any heat at all. I've pulled more than 50A from the 15A outlet in short bursts of a few seconds, and invariably the breaker trips long before the outlet gets warm.
nzoomed
Tue Sept 22 2015, 10:41AM
GrantX wrote ...

I don't think you'll have to upgrade your wall outlet, unless it's running continuously. I double checked, and we use the same outlet design as NZ. I regularly pull >20A from the 10A outlets in my workshop (usually the MIG welder). They're wired with 2.5mm^2 cable and 20A breakers, so nothing generates any heat at all. I've pulled more than 50A from the 15A outlet in short bursts of a few seconds, and invariably the breaker trips long before the outlet gets warm.

OK thats sweet, ill just look out for a bigger variac for operating at full power 20A would be its absolute max
GrantX
Tue Sept 22 2015, 12:16PM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
nzoomed wrote ...

OK thats sweet, ill just look out for a bigger variac for operating at full power 20A would be its absolute max
Yeah, the winding and carbon brush will likely see more stress than the outlet. Power outlets seem to endure lots of rough treatment without problems. The breaker should be sized correctly to protect the house wiring, not the outlet itself. It's a good idea to check the condition and size of the wiring behind the outlet before unleashing abuse beyond it's ratings.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Wed Sept 23 2015, 12:47AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
HAHAHAH yea, I pulled 220A from a 30A breaker for 3 seconds.

We had a 3180V transformer we used to run as a Jachob's ladder, boy did that thing pull a ton of current!
nzoomed
Wed Sept 23 2015, 01:07AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) wrote ...

HAHAHAH yea, I pulled 220A from a 30A breaker for 3 seconds.

We had a 3180V transformer we used to run as a Jachob's ladder, boy did that thing pull a ton of current!

WOW, didnt think that was possible lol. I have a 3000W light bulb that would trip the breaker after a few seconds, but that was at my old home.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: