Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Storing Data on Projectile

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
DerAlbi
Wed Sept 16 2015, 06:27PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
By having a read head exactly after the write head. That disables the gun if that part of the gun does not work properly. That gives you one shot after tempering with the gun. You will need that to test the gun after disassembly.

Projectile marks wont happen since the barrel is the way weaker material.

I told people exactly what the goal here is:
The goal would be to imprint some magnetic remanence and to store maybe 20 bits along 40mm projectile

The projectile comes out of the gun pretty much saturated and "whiped".
One could try to punch holes in that remanent magnetisation by havin a ultra short coil that has a reverse magnetic orientiation than the drive coils.
But i can imagine that this is not focussed enough.
Ash Small
Wed Sept 16 2015, 09:11PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
DerAlbi wrote ...

Projectile marks wont happen since the barrel is the way weaker material.

Ceramic barrel?
Dr. Slack
Wed Sept 16 2015, 09:43PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
DerAlbi wrote ...

I told people exactly what the goal here is:
The goal would be to imprint some magnetic remanence and to store maybe 20 bits along 40mm projectile

With respect, that's your proposed solution, not what the fundamental problem you're trying to solve actually is
DerAlbi
Wed Sept 16 2015, 10:09PM
Barrel will be some low friction plastic. In a coilgun is not good for efficiency to mechanically alter the projectile. it also does not work when the projectile is shot multiple times (coilgun projectiles are reusable!). There is not much left except magnetic storage.
But i see, no discussion of how one can imprint some magnetic remanence representing data will happen here.
And no, thats not my proposed solution. Its just the way to go in a coilgun and its the thing that needs a solution since i have no idea how to do it properly and if its even possible or what factors determine the "doability" or how i can come to some estimation of how high the data density can be and when this sentence will end...
I just presented my initial thoughts on that, sry if that was confusing.. bad initial description.
2Spoons
Wed Sept 16 2015, 10:27PM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
Have you considered embedding an RFID memory chip? Like this one: Link2
I have no idea how well it would survive launch in a coil gun, but it could be worth a try.
DerAlbi
Wed Sept 16 2015, 10:55PM
Yeah what a solution. i think RFID with inductive coupling is great near a high permeability material that short out every higher frequency making it the perfect shield for the RFID-Tag. Also fondling around before every shot, preparing the projectile, is really attractive to everyone who wants to shoot a coilgun. Not to say the additional cost of such stuff.
Of course, lets ignore the obvious way to go like using the natural available media for storing information... like.. uuhhmm.. the projectile itself?
I think, i just should use edding and write a serial number on each projectile. thats good.
Or built in a iron rasp inside the barrel. Wasting some joules of the hardly earned kinetic energy is allways a good solution.
Or what about attachting a string with hotglue. That links the projectile to the gun for sure!
Or i just change the coil drive and shoot backwards, that would imprint a dna-sample of the shooter on every projectile. Usefull too. Way to store information!
Why not throw the coilgun, instead of shooting the projectile? That would circumvent the problem too!

Sry, i currently feel like the next post will propose that i should buy a dog that chews on the projectiles.
Am i really so bad at explaining that i am seeking a discussion on how to imprint magnetic information to a solid iron projectile and what i could expect and how to achieve it?
Ash Small
Wed Sept 16 2015, 11:22PM
My understanding is that data is stored in ferrite, not iron.

Ferrite, in my understanding, comprises numerous seperate 'grains', whereas iron is, in my understanding, some form of crystal lattice compriseing much larger grains, hence the eddy currents, etc.

I'm not sure it's possible to store information in iron in the same way that it's possible to do on magnetic tape, for example.

In my understanding, you need tiny grains in order to magnetise different sections with different polarities.

Even if you could produce such a projectile, others could produce projectiles consisting of a single large crystal of iron, or certainly get close.

That's just my understanding, though wink
DerAlbi
Thu Sept 17 2015, 07:56AM
Thaaaaaank you for resonse on topic smile

The "grains" you describe are the magnetic domains within those the magnetism is aligned. See: Link2
As you can see in the pictures the orientation can change within the solid iron.
I cant think that in a hard drive you have purposely single grains. Its surely a single surface isolated by crystal boundarys like within the iron.
I think the material that is specially made for magnetic storage has just a much more optimized hysteresis loop. (so that no accidential magnet field easily destroys the data and so that the remanent field strength is higher for better read out)

I never noticed directly that my projectiles were magnetized after a shot. However i noticed that changing the orientation degraded performance. So a shot does have some "impact" amazed on the projectile.

In the link to wikipedia the paragraph about "Why domains form" stated that it is a "low energy state" when the grain magnetisation does not create a strong external field. That actually would have some impact on how one should write to the projectile: instead of having single oriented large domains, one should try to imprint a frequency modulation. That should than be more stable... right?
Ash Small
Thu Sept 17 2015, 12:11PM
And then there is the difference between 'soft' iron and 'hard' iron.

In my understanding, soft iron, ie annealed, is ideal for, say, transformers, because it has no 'magnetic memory', and is not 'permanently magnetised.

Hard iron, ie work hardended, can be permanently magnetised, ie it has a magnetic memory.

I imagine you'd need 'hard iron' in order to permanently magnetise it, but what's to stop people making soft iron projectiles with no magnetic memory?

That again, is just my understanding of some of the issues here.

EDIT: Imprinting a 'low frequency' signal does sound like the way to go, if you can overcome the other issues wink
DerAlbi
Thu Sept 17 2015, 02:06PM
"Low frequency" cheesey Lets see: 100m/s and 2mm bit length: so you got 20us time for one bit. Using a frequency fitting at least 4 full waves inside one bit, makes the wavelength 0.5mm so 5us for one period. Thats 200kHz. Aww frown

Does anyone know what the skin effect does here? i mean: it determines the equivalent thickness for resistivity. but does that mean that magnetic field lines wont penetrate? Will eddy currents inhibit the magnetisation at all?

Hmmh. Do i even need to reprogramm the iron? I mean it comes completeley saturated from the last acceleration coil.... soooo.. all i need to do is to get rid of the magnetisation and thats it allready.

Hard/Soft magnetic: afaik my projectiles are made from steel. that makes them hard magnetic. as i said: the remeber the last magnetisation which showed up in performance problem in my coilgun.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: